Been naughty, spending money I don't have!

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

wodin

Been naughty, spending money I don't have!

Post by wodin »

Just bought it and Ghost Division expansion. As I love tactical wargames I really thought I needed to support this game..even though the demo did nothing for me. Hopefully the full game grabs me more and I can't wait to try JAMMS Stalingrad scenarios.

Credit Cards are just abit to easy to use on the spur of the moment I feel.

Edit: Hmm wont start XNA errors..going to reinstall..I hope I haven't made a mistake here and should have got Warsaw to paris instead...
jack54

RE: Been naughty, spending money I don't have!

Post by jack54 »

Wodin

I hope you can get it going and that you enjoy it. I actually liked the demo quite a bit but I'm still on the fence...have to make a decision in a couple of days and then wait till Christmas to play.

Anyway I'm keeping fingers crossed for you (that's good luck here in the US not sure if you have that superstition in England).
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
wodin

Post by wodin »

Got it working..hurrah.

Played three scenarios..got beat each time.tried the different rule options persistent and classic..I can see Classic being more of a challenge..but not sure about it, feels more like chess with it in classic mode and the restriction feels to enforced and takes away some realism.

The graphic options certainly improve the counter quality with no jaggies..but it seems you can't zoom in and out in top view only without it going at an angle. Also seem to have a bloom issue which when the counters are on the left of the screen the glare blocks them out, thing is I have bloom turned off.

Fun so far..abit surprised the Campaigns you can play the scenarios in any order.

Have all the maps got 2D only versions?

Who uses random quality? WHat doe sit do?

Who uses the variable action point rule?
jack54

Post by jack54 »

There is a symbol that resembles an EYE (on the right) that toggles an overhead view; from there you can zoom without tilting.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah found it thanks;)...

Not sure about the game..nothing wrong with it but something feels missing. Maybe the abstract nature due to it being a boardgame conversion suits a boardgame more so than a PC game..not sure. I will say it looks alot better than I thought it would after playing the demo. Just don't know if there is enough chrome in the game for me.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Brother Wodin, I'll give you until tomorrow evening to give me either a Yea or Ney on this one too. Last time you pushed me in the correct direction with Flashpoint.[&o]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

How did you get it working? Mine just crashes when I try to load it. It locks up my whole system.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I had XNA errors so just reinstlled.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I really couldn't recommend it as it just isn't getting me excited at all. I rarely recommend games as I know money is tight these days and wouldn't want to be responsible for someone not enjoying the game..I have to love a game and know 100% people will enjoy it.

Really wish I'd counted to ten..then remembered I really want Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris..instead of being blinded by the sale.

The game isn't bad but for me it lacks something. Surprised at how few unit types aswell considering it's the full game and an expansion.

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Brother Wodin, I'll give you until tomorrow evening to give me either a Yea or Ney on this one too. Last time you pushed me in the correct direction with Flashpoint.[&o]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hmmm..XNA error happening again!
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I feel like this game would be a lot more enjoyable if I was actually playing it on a physical board, moving counters around and rolling dice. On the PC it just doesn't do a whole lot for me. I got sucked in by the sale as well and while it's not a bad game (and I did get a lot of content for my money), I feel like that $30 could have been better spent on something else.

I think my biggest hang up is that I keep wanting it to be Combat Mission lite or something, and it's a bit too abstract for that. Plus the fact that it should have a bit better performance considering the decade old graphics. I'll give it a few more tries, maybe it will click with me.

Right now I'm having a bit too much fun with the XCOM expansion to play anything else.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Really do regret buying it..wish I had gone for DCWtP..tis a real pain when you don't have that much money anyway..remember back in the days of game where you could take it back the next day if you didn't like it.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

At this stage Wodin, I imagine Matrix regret you buying it. You don't like it, we get that.

It is a very different system with a lot of interesting abstractions. It's is not everyone's cup of tea. But neither is CMx2.

Gerry
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah right[:D]

Who rattled your cage? Over ten years and 187 posts and this thread provoked you enough to post..WOW.

I really don't think I've been going over the top slagging the game off. Not only that soemtimes it wont load..so I think I have a right to be put out over that at least. Maybe your happy when a game doesn't work?

Maybe your annoyed I was asked if I'd recommend it and I said no..hmm..well I can't say yes if I'm not keen and not answering isn't very polite or helpful.

The game does nothing for me..but it isn't a bad game as I've stated.

You don't like my threads..don't read them..easy;)

Oh I don't think Matrix care about what I think. Also I'm praising another one of their games instead, so they really wont mind, plus I reckon they get the odd sale through my FB page so I doubt very much they will be bothered about my opinion on one game, and you'll see far worse threads about games than this..you obviously have some sort of issue with me.

Oh as for CMx2...I have no problem you don't like it.

ORIGINAL: Gerry

At this stage Wodin, I imagine Matrix regret you buying it. You don't like it, we get that.

It is a very different system with a lot of interesting abstractions. It's is not everyone's cup of tea. But neither is CMx2.

Gerry
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Gerry

Thanks for the review, it really helped. [8|]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

I'm guessing if you came from the board game to this you have a better experience. I too am tempted by the price, but think I'll hold off for now, maybe even track down the board version instead.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah..I agree. I reckon for a tactical boardgame it would work well, esp if you feel bogged down by ASL. However PC games have no restrictions on how complex under the hood they can become..which is why I think ASL is the tactical boardgame that needs to be given the Worlds in Flame treatment.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Wodin, you may find more depth if you tinker with the editor some. You can build a map either free-hand or by importing a BMP. You can assign different scripts to different units, so you can have a more varied "AI experience". And you can either create your own script functions if you know c# or you can user pre-defined functions to form the individual AI scripts.
Having said all that there are things I don't care for either, like the game has zero modding capability's. And it does have a high level of abstraction.
wodin

Post by wodin »

It's the high level of abstraction I think rather than an AI issue..plus not that many units to play with. I thought the Ghost Division expansion would have added more units and so I bought it, my fault should have checked it out first.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Wodin

I think you'll have to give this game a bit more time before you give up on it. I like it a lot but I just haven't had the time these last few months to devote to playing anything but that other game[;)] CoH is very abstract but the game system is actually a lot of fun, and allows for a lot of tactical thinking without the headaches that come with micro-management. However, the difficulty with getting to like this initially stems from the fact that the original scenarios are just not very challenging or interesting enough to play against an AI opponent. These scenarios appear to be very faithful transcriptions of official board game scenarios and are balanced for competitive play. No AI opponent is able to handle a side like a human player and so a grizzled vet like yourself is going to blow through the missions with a win on the first playthrough every time (except for the Monsters! mission of course) when playing against the AI. On top of that, I was winning easily while learning the system so I found that a bit off-putting to start with.

I'm sure that there are more challenging missions to play against the AI somewhere. perhaps someone could point them out to you?

edit to add: 'Burning Fields', a user-made scenario, is a good fight against an AI opponent.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”