What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rtwfreak

RE: What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now?

Post by Rtwfreak »

The only people who will gain from me doing all the work is the corporation, not the employees. I don't owe the corporation anything.

Now you're thinking right it takes jobs away when we do it ourselves at stores and I too never take the cart back and will never check and sack my own groceries unless it gets to that point and the sad thing is is IS getting there. Have you noticed the check out yourself lanes? And the robot lemmings who are just impatient as hell fly to them. I use the checkout lanes where I can talk to the cashier and she does all the checking and sacking.

I mean the gas station attendant that used to wash your windshield and check the air in your tires and check your oil level is practically gone. It also was a job as a youngster I wanted cause it looked like "FUN"!

Just one question: How many of you just walk for "FUN" anymore and not for some medically good for you or your health?

Maybe two questions: How many of you ride a bicycle anymore just for the "FUN" of it and not for the calorie burning exercise?

I mean when we were kids this is what we did for "FUN" walk places and/or ride a bicycle, not for exercise or health reasons.

How many of you are "couch/chair potatoes" now? hehe
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN
What do you think of the do it yerself society we live in now?

Nothing short of catastrophic-

Anyone ever wondered who stole that home value?

Take care,

jim
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Simpler times,..
of course everything's simple when you're a kid.

Attachments
999393_524..014687_n.jpg
999393_524..014687_n.jpg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 11 times
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Zap

+1. Went into a Mcdonalds the other day. The cashiers where told in front of customers "you must to say hello to everyone that comes in the door" seen this in other places too. Just give my what I order I don't want a relationship with Mcdonalds.
It's basically a form of primitive manipulation. It's purpose is to make people feel feelings associated with friends towards the company. It's pretty sick.
ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Yep this ^ is very true. In Walgreens or example the cashier at the front of the store must greet every customer that comes in the store with a Welcome to Walgreens and then do it again when they are leaving Thankyou for shopping at Walgreens all the while they are cashing other customers out and they also must answer all phone calls and at minimum wage it's god awful pitiful because they use young college kids or old ladies and forced customer service like that I do not like and I voice my opinion to the manager. Let them be customer friendly of their own accord that's the best type not fake or false courtesy.
Additionally, such workplaces are favouring dishonest and manipulative employees.
ORIGINAL: terje439

2. I notice this the most with MMOs. I remember when I first starting playing MMOs, my game of choice was StarWarsGalaxies. A game that was hard to learn, but that just made it the more rewarding when you mastered something. Then came the kids. The "instant gratification"-generation. And the game had to change to keep them as customers, and it all went downhill. Since those days, I have yet to find (well with the exception of the games offered here that is) a really challenging game (remember the days of the C64???). Now it is all about getting rewards from the first press of a button.

So, in some ways, I do miss the "good old days", but in other matters, I wish those "good old days" would be gone [;)]

Tejre
I think that it all started when there started to be massive feedback on internet forums and from spying programs in games. One of the things they learned is that most of people never finishes their games.
Also, at that time a lot of psychological manipulation started being used - addiction-based gameplay, achievements, DLCs, etc.
ORIGINAL: Josh

I'll never forget how the suits utterly destroyed a game like Baldur's Gate, turned it into a fast hack and slash game for kiddies, where graphics were everything and the story wasn't.
I didn't know that the suits destroyed Baldur's Gate. I thought that it was mediocre because lack of talent of the Bioware team, not because of interference. Somehow, guys from Black Isle studios still managed to squeeze more roleplaying into a jump for the cash hack and slash game like Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 than Bioware into its "full" cRPGs.
Not to mention that suits somehow managed to not turn Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment into fast hack and slash games for kiddies.

I mean the gas station attendant that used to wash your windshield and check the air in your tires and check your oil level is practically gone. It also was a job as a youngster I wanted cause it looked like "FUN"!

Just one question: How many of you just walk for "FUN" anymore and not for some medically good for you or your health?

Maybe two questions: How many of you ride a bicycle anymore just for the "FUN" of it and not for the calorie burning exercise?

I mean when we were kids this is what we did for "FUN" walk places and/or ride a bicycle, not for exercise or health reasons.

How many of you are "couch/chair potatoes" now? hehe
I usually walk about two hours a day when doing groceries. Generally, I dislike going out without going to buy something or get something. It leaves too much time to think and feel bad about the conclusions of the thinking (it would be nice to be go out and evaluate reality and think "healthy world" and feel good about the world, sadly and disgustingly world insists on being sick).
Focus, is what staves off the suffering, what allows to forget about hordes of ideological enemies and forces of evil - reading about tactics, military history, how things could realistically work in science fiction, working on mods, reading a good novel, getting lost in enjoyable conversation - good, healthy stuff or at least when not trying to forget, actively debating, preventing the enemy from prevailing, from spreading their ideology, not just impotently repeating arguments within ones head without a keyboard to speak.

I have never found any job fun. Just hours upon hours of mental torture and reduction to being an automaton that performs some banal activities and has tons of time to wonder why one is earning 2$ per hour when some other people do identical job and earn much more. Why is my work treated as worse as theirs? This question is always plaguing me when working somewhere and I can't find an acceptable answer based on one's essential qualities - I can't find any inferiority in the quality of work that I perform - it must be some kind of a swindle. Sick world.

One thing that I regret is that I can't get drawn in into stuff like programming or graphics design or some other thing useful for making bigger money the way I get into modding or collecting information about things that interest me. Sadly, these are things where it's impossible to get anywhere without being obsessed about that stuff.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness

Yep this ^ is very true. In Walgreens or example the cashier at the front of the store must greet every customer that comes in the store with a Welcome to Walgreens and then do it again when they are leaving Thankyou for shopping at Walgreens all the while they are cashing other customers out and they also must answer all phone calls and at minimum wage it's god awful pitiful because they use young college kids or old ladies and forced customer service like that I do not like and I voice my opinion to the manager. Let them be customer friendly of their own accord that's the best type not fake or false courtesy.

We have to do this because people are lacking even common courtesy these days. Can you imagine how these punks would behave if they weren't instructed. I would rather have a "hello and welcome, can I help you?", than "what do you want?". In this day and age, employees need instructions on behavior because they do not learn it from parents or schools. Sad but true.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I heard horror stories that cashiers in America are often threatened with being fired if they don't smile constantly and don't constantly display fake friendliness

We have to do this because people are lacking even common courtesy these days. Can you imagine how these punks would behave if they weren't instructed. I would rather have a "hello and welcome, can I help you?", than "what do you want?". In this day and age, employees need instructions on behavior because they do not learn it from parents or schools. Sad but true.
Except that it's not about common courtesy. Despite all that talk of older people about youth getting less and less well behaved, I have encountered lack of common courtesy in a store/bar only once in my whole life. What we're talking about is a marketing technique that is used to make the customer feel like the store employees like them. It's a new thing which is equally bad as what you're talking about.

Return to “General Discussion”