CTD mid game, every 10-20 min

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Mesthione

CTD mid game, every 10-20 min

Post by Mesthione »

Game keeps crashing and stuttering late game, so I switched to a smaller map (standard now). Still starting to crash late game sometimes while saving, other times when a battle starts. The whole game likes to stutter when you scroll in the galactic view.

CPU specs:
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
i5760 @ 2.80GHz
8.00 GB RAM
HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7950 3.0 GB
Resolution 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz

Crash log after trying the saved game on the 1.9.3 patch:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.0.3

4:53:33 AM Thursday, May 30, 2013

System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
at System.Double.CompareTo(Double value)
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`2.QuickSort(TKey[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 left, Int32 right)
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`2.QuickSort(TKey[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 left, Int32 right)
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`2.Sort(TKey[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`2.Sort(TKey[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[TKey,TValue](TKey[] keys, TValue[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[TKey,TValue](TKey[] keys, TValue[] items)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.SortStellarObjectsByDistanceThreadsafe(Double x, Double y, StellarObjectList stellarObjects)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.UltraFastFindNearestRefuellingLocation(Double x, Double y, ResourceList fuelTypes, BuiltObject shipToRefuel, Boolean mustHaveActualSupply, Boolean includeResupplyShips, Int32 shipsToRefuel)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.CalculateFuelPortionMarginFromNearbyRefuellingPointsInformLocation(Double x, Double y, StellarObject& refuellingLocation)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.WithinFuelRangeAndRefuel(Double destinationX, Double destinationY, Double extraFuelPortionMargin)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignMissionToBuiltObject(BuiltObject ship, Boolean atWar, BuiltObjectList patrolMiningStations)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignMissionsToBuiltObjectList(BuiltObjectList builtObjectList, Boolean atWar, BuiltObjectList patrolMiningStations)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignShipMissions()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.ycFuQN9NXO(Object )

Further info follows:

System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.

--- COMPLETE ---

When on 1.9.2:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.0.2

4:29:11 AM Thursday, May 30, 2013

System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Array.Sort[TKey,TValue](TKey[] keys, TValue[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[TKey,TValue](TKey[] keys, TValue[] items)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.SortStellarObjectsByDistanceThreadsafe(Double x, Double y, StellarObjectList stellarObjects)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.UltraFastFindNearestRefuellingLocation(Double x, Double y, ResourceList fuelTypes, BuiltObject shipToRefuel, Boolean mustHaveActualSupply, Boolean includeResupplyShips, Int32 shipsToRefuel)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.CalculateFuelPortionMarginFromNearbyRefuellingPointsInformLocation(Double x, Double y, StellarObject& refuellingLocation)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.WithinFuelRangeAndRefuel(Double destinationX, Double destinationY, Double extraFuelPortionMargin)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignMissionToBuiltObject(BuiltObject ship, Boolean atWar, BuiltObjectList patrolMiningStations)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignMissionsToBuiltObjectList(BuiltObjectList builtObjectList, Boolean atWar, BuiltObjectList patrolMiningStations)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.AssignShipMissions()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.CSKW90NEsH(Object )

Further info follows:

System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.

--- COMPLETE ---

Thanks for any help! I haven't been able to continue any of my games because of how frequent this is becoming.
Mesthione

RE: CTD mid game, every 10-20 min

Post by Mesthione »

Any idea what I could do to help with this? It also seems like my autosave files have been coming corrupt recently, not sure if that is related. Nothing seems wrong with my hard drive on the hardware side of things.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It could be your computer. If it always crashes, upload a savegame. It is strange, though. Shadows seems rather stable, and the same frequency of crashes in multiple games seems odd.
Raap

Post by Raap »

If the game crashes while saving, the save will become corrupt( obviously). Are you doing anything else while this happens? You should upload your save game.
Mesthione

Post by Mesthione »

Here is a working save, I played for about an hour past this. One time it crashed on saving, and the next time I tried it I crashed while observing a battle around a planet.

I hope I'm not bothering you guys because of a hardware issue, it may very well be that but considering the other games I'm playing on a regular basis without problem it isn't my first thought (I built this computer myself so I'm fairly familiar with hardware troubleshooting if that helps). I tried updating my drivers but that hasn't stopped the crash. Maybe you can see if you get the same stuttering in this save game as I do when panning at a zoom view of a few sectors. Perhaps my graphics card is doing something wrong, but I frequently monitor both my processor and GPU temp and they have both been behaving recently.

I guess on a related note I did have to go from a 15x15 galaxy to standard size because of mid-late game lag I was getting. I tried turning the star density down, messing with the fps locking, etc, but have not had any luck removing the stuttering or crashes once the game gets that far along. Early to early-mid game it has been running perfectly.

Again, thanks for any help. Hopefully I'll be able to finish one of these games soon. Let me know if you need anything else from me that could help.
Mesthione

Post by Mesthione »

***my bad just uploaded to the FTP, forgot I couldn't attach files that large. Name is Mesthione_Crash_05292013.zip

I can also provide the larger game save if you want to check for stuttering in that as well.

Return to “Tech Support”