What makes CoH a better board game?

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

JaguarUSF

What makes CoH a better board game?

Post by JaguarUSF »

I'm curious what exactly makes Conflict of Heroes better than other board wargames. Basically, why did it win those awards? People familiar with the game mechanics, what makes them special? I haven't really been able to find a features list that tells me what specifically CoH innovates (just "a computer adaptation of this awesome game lol rotfl!!!!11!!"). Thanks!
e_barkmann

RE: What makes CoH a better board game?

Post by e_barkmann »

No idea what the awards criteria were, but for me, a number of things convinced me to get into the boardgame system a couple of years ago:

- Easy to learn - basic rules can be explained to a noob in 10 mins
- Play a scenario in an evening - unlike my ASL games which I have to plan multiple sessions for
- Eastern front tactical - say no more!
- Generally low to medium counter density - I just don't have the interest or time these days in monster games

In terms of innovation, I am unsure if there is anything specific that hasn't been done in other games but:

- both players are constantly involved due to the action system, no down time for one player
- unknown damage system - you don't know how your fire has affected your opponent due to the chit pull system
- Unit AP's, CAP & Card system - elegant C&C system that allows leadership benefits to be applied where needed but can become more restrictive as more casualties are suffered
- Beautifully presented game for its genre - the mounted maps are works of art and the counters are thick and LARGE.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant
a number of things convinced me to get into the boardgame system

Thanks; that's the kind of response I was looking for.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Chris covered the bases well. The sense of constant involvement is very engaging and addictive, the elegance of the entire design in terms of covering all the realistic elements of tactical combat without a huge rules burden allows you to focus on your tactics. The action/activation and command action system means a lot of decisions decisions to make on where to focus your efforts and where to make trade-offs. It's a very good system that scratches the same itch as much more complex games, in less time, with less frustration and without giving up realistic tactics or outcomes.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”