Task Force questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

slane_slith

Task Force questions

Post by slane_slith »

Is there any way to change the task force number assigned by the computer or display the line where you can type so that it can be sorted on the task force screen?

I would like to assign the numbers to my task forces such as all my carriers being 1-20 or all my troop transports being 50-60, etc. Tried using the free type area but it does not show on the task forces screen.

Any ideas, suggestions?
"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" -Thomas Paine
freeboy

RE: Task Force questions

Post by freeboy »

I do not think so, but if so I would like to know how as well..
hummmmm[8|]
"Tanks forward"
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Sorry no. You can change the TF Name...
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

Is this something that can be added to the game?

Yeah the TF names don't sort and can be "looked up". Tried it
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Use the filters on the task force screen.

Alfred
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

This would be useful. I understand the reason for auto-assigning TF #s (to index/prevent duplicates), but if at least the player-defined name would show up in the TF screen, it would be VERY helpful. I have been using the assigned TF # as part of my TF name, so at least when I review TFs in Tracker I can see which in-game TF# it refers to.
ie. Game assigns CV Enterprise to #8144. I name it as "TF 31.144 CVG Enterprise" or whatever I want to call it, so when I see the 31.144, I know it is game TF# 144. The first 2 digits are my numbering system, 3 for 3rd Fleet area (CENTPAC), 1 for Air Cbt type mission.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Sorry, TF NUMBER is the internal identication of the TF. Changing it is roughly equal to changing the use of Social Security Number.
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

If you can't change the computer assigned Task Force number then allow the free space text to be seen and sorted.

Alfred, I see what you’re saying but I think we are talking about two different things. What I would like to be able to do is create a carrier task force and assign it my personal TF number of 100. Then if I need to send a replenishment TF I could make that one 100.9

When I was trying to use the free space text area I was using the following:
100-199 CV
200-299 BB
300-399 CA/CLs
400-499 DD
500-599 SS
Etc

By extension if I needed to send a CA to meet carrier TF 100 that task force would be a 100.3

With the “free space” text visible I can look and see the status of any of my task forces and know exactly what it is without having to click and look, click and look.

Sorry if what I’m saying isn’t clear. I know what I’m after I just have a hard time explaining it.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: slane

If you can't change the computer assigned Task Force number then allow the free space text to be seen and sorted.

Alfred, I see what you’re saying but I think we are talking about two different things. What I would like to be able to do is create a carrier task force and assign it my personal TF number of 100. Then if I need to send a replenishment TF I could make that one 100.9

When I was trying to use the free space text area I was using the following:
100-199 CV
200-299 BB
300-399 CA/CLs
400-499 DD
500-599 SS
Etc

By extension if I needed to send a CA to meet carrier TF 100 that task force would be a 100.3

With the “free space” text visible I can look and see the status of any of my task forces and know exactly what it is without having to click and look, click and look.

Sorry if what I’m saying isn’t clear. I know what I’m after I just have a hard time explaining it.

Are you speaking of a text name for the TF? That is available.
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

I appreciate the text name, but it doesn't show up on the TF Listing screen, only the in-game assigned TF #. That's what I would like to see (and I think that is what Slane is referring to as well), that the Text name (or an abbreviated part of it) shows up as a sortable field in the TF listing screens (either the general one, or the list of TFs in port, etc).
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

ORIGINAL: Justus2

I appreciate the text name, but it doesn't show up on the TF Listing screen, only the in-game assigned TF #. That's what I would like to see (and I think that is what Slane is referring to as well), that the Text name (or an abbreviated part of it) shows up as a sortable field in the TF listing screens (either the general one, or the list of TFs in port, etc).

Yes your correct. I have checked the task force screen and you can get the computer assigned number but not anything that the user types in.

When you click on a task force and it opens just below the computer assigned task force number there is a space where you can type what you want. That area is what I'm referring to as "free text space". Anything that you type there does not appear on any other screen that i'm aware of.

That area is what I'd like to use for my task force number

Thanks everyone
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Justus2

Yes your correct. I have checked the task force screen and you can get the computer assigned number but not anything that the user types in.

When you click on a task force and it opens just below the computer assigned task force number there is a space where you can type what you want. That area is what I'm referring to as "free text space". Anything that you type there does not appear on any other screen that i'm aware of.

That area is what I'd like to use for my task force number

Thanks everyone

I did notice last night that, while on the TF listing, if you hover over the TF#, your 'TF Name' will display in a tooltip, but it would be nice to have that displayed as a sortable column.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Sorry if I am a little short, but we have been through this and things like this hundreds of times. The screens are full. No room for anything else, especially a large text strong.
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

Fair enough, just thought it would be a good idea. Maybe for WITP II? [:)]
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

Sorry didn't know
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Sorry didn't know

No apology necessary. Lots of debate as to what should be on the various lists - and so little room!
jmbraat

Post by jmbraat »

Could the WITPTracker guys help? They seem to be able to make any list anyone can think of ...
"Conquer, or Die!"
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: John Mark

Could the WITPTracker guys help? They seem to be able to make any list anyone can think of ...

They do, and have - if you export the CSV of the TF screen, it will show both the game TF ID and the 'text' name you create. I have used that, I try to export/print about every 2 weeks in game turns, but I have only been playing the Guad scenario until recently starting an AI campaign. I think I will run out of paper if I try to do it now!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”