Unclear re "rest" condition

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

pcelt

Unclear re "rest" condition

Post by pcelt »

As a new comer to this particular game I have on a few occasions been puzzled by a combat unit or group refusal to respond to an order to move or defend elsewhere and to maintain a "rest" condition. I could understand if the unit was extremely fatigued or with shattered morale but this is currently happening with a Task Group who have seen no action so far and show only 15% fatigue and high morale and sufficient supply.(and with "none" selected in the "sleep selection box" with the order)
Is there an important factor involved in producing this lack of response which I should also look at in order to understand the cause snd when it is likely to occur.
At the moment I am having plans threatened because a battalion or 2 that I was expecting to be able to involve in an attack or defense sometimes unexpectedly refuses to budge and to "rest" for a protracted period.
Any insights into this aspect of play would be much appreciated----------Thanks
simovitch

RE: Unclear re "rest" condition

Post by simovitch »

You can modify your order at any time to minimize the resting. After giving the order, or after selecting the task icon on the map, selecting "no rest" will keep them going until they are spent. Just remember to select normal rest when they have done what you want them to do otherwise they will never recover fatigue.

Attachments
10102011..5400AM.jpg
10102011..5400AM.jpg (381.45 KiB) Viewed 63 times
simovitch

Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Do not also forget that fighting only are conducted during office hours [;)]. When it gets dark any movement halts until daylight, something to keep in mind as well.
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Thanks both for your responses --but I certainly selected the "none* re Rest in the order menu, but there was no response.
Re night time orders for movement etc I dont think the nighttime alone cannot account for the non response because at the same time one task group were refusing to move ,other groups at the same night time were responding to movement orders.
i am still puzzled ....
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

ORIGINAL: pcelt

Thanks both for your responses --but I certainly selected the "none* re Rest in the order menu, but there was no response.
Re night time orders for movement etc I dont think the nighttime alone cannot account for the non response because at the same time one task group were refusing to move ,other groups at the same night time were responding to movement orders.
i am still puzzled ....

“Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction that is inconceivable unless one has experienced war.”
- Karl von Clausewitz

[;)]
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

There is a dependency on whether the unit can complete the task set - short moves will be completed more frequently for any rest settings than really long ones - you can also try setting an 'early' task end to get the hurry-on.
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Thanks Lieste--I'ii give more thought also to the nature and length of tasks
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: pcelt

As a new comer to this particular game I have on a few occasions been puzzled by a combat unit or group refusal to respond to an order to move or defend elsewhere and to maintain a "rest" condition. I could understand if the unit was extremely fatigued or with shattered morale but this is currently happening with a Task Group who have seen no action so far and show only 15% fatigue and high morale and sufficient supply.(and with "none" selected in the "sleep selection box" with the order)
Is there an important factor involved in producing this lack of response which I should also look at in order to understand the cause snd when it is likely to occur.
At the moment I am having plans threatened because a battalion or 2 that I was expecting to be able to involve in an attack or defense sometimes unexpectedly refuses to budge and to "rest" for a protracted period.
Any insights into this aspect of play would be much appreciated----------Thanks

Is the straggler's option checked or unchecked for the affected formation(s)?? It may be that one unit is heavily fatigued, has stopped to rest, and it's buddies have elected to stick around and keep it company.

Rob.[:)]

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
pcelt

Post by pcelt »

Rob --thanks for drawing my attention to that option and that sub- group of options ---been paying too little attention to these in trying to assimilate the major choices
Thanks
rfrizz

Post by rfrizz »

I had a problem with a single, detached company just sitting there. I reissued the order, double-checked the options, and looked at fatigue. It wasn't tired, and it wasn't an orders delay issue.

I set a field artillery battalion to bombard the unit for one minute with a slow rate of fire. That did the trick! I have done this two or three other times with the same result. That unit hops right to it!

I was thinking about The Big Red One on Utah Beach on D-Day when Lee Marvin shot his M1 near the soldier who was afraid to push the snake charge to the barbwire because it would expose him to enemy fire.

Return to “Tech Support”