AE Land and AI Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

PaxMondo

RE: Japan infantry squads

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Someone tested it in WITP, and in fact, upgrades took less, than manual claimed. Probably situation in AE is similar.
There are, like 100-200 Para squads in Japan army, and 1000-2000 SNLF squads. That would be quite cheap, yet they do not upgrade either.
Now that is interesting ... I will have to go back and search for that. Or was the info ever posted up on Spooky's site?

Found it.

Overall, interesting thread. I have not remembered, that armament points were THIS tight in WITP.
Thanks. Interesting read. Wonder if pompak's data is still relevant. AE's economic engine appears to have been completely overhauled from WitP ...
Pax
inqistor

RE: Japan infantry squads

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen
Device #709 'downgrades' to #710 because the IJA eventually reduced the number of men in the infantry regiments of their 'strengthened' (reiforced B-Type) divisions. Device #709 (only existing as a device in strengthened divisions) is stronger than #707 because the additional 50mm grenade dischargers (light mortars) existing in strengthened divisions are figured in its anti-soft value and load cost (infantry platoons in ordinary divisions had three grenade dischargers while infantry platoons in strengthened divisions had five grenade dischargers). The trained infantrymen that became surplus by this reorganization then provided cadres for newly raised and rebuild formations (however, this change was apparently not implemented in divisions fighting in Burma). There was no other way to represent this with the game engine.

But in game Japan have to pay for "upgrades", and can turn them off, to avoid. So we actually lose 10% of strength, and have to pay for it? And do not get anything in exchange either?
Para Squads are weaker than infantry squads because they did not have grenade discharger teams.

You sure about it? Was it through entire war? Maybe GDs were incorporated into squads? I see them mentioned as equipment.
The 20mm AT Rifle was not manufactured in sufficient numbers and thus not issued in enough numbers to warrant its inclusion.

What exactly are those numbers, and how many should be produced, to include it? It IS mentioned in every text, about Japan island defence.
jcjordan

RE: Admirals Edition Land Thread

Post by jcjordan »

There's a Brit unit that comes in May44 that I'm not sure if it's meant to be like supply convoys or it's actually meant to be a land unit. The unit is #6684 Retrained AA Units. In scen #1 it comes in like it's a regular land unit but to my logic it seems like it's meant to be more like a supply convoy & add the devices to the pool. It does w/d after a couple of months though so I guess the end result would be about the same just 2 months instead of days before the devices go into the pool.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

A withdrawal will NOT put the devices into the pool. Since it is in Delhi, try disbanding it and see what happens.
inqistor

Lack of Device in Scenario 6

Post by inqistor »

Scenario 6(the one beginning on 8th December).

Device 1486 is empty, while it should be 88mm AA gun (at least it is in scenario 1, and 2). Quite a lot of Japan AA units use them, and now they look like this:

Attachments
aawrong.jpg
aawrong.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 94 times
BJStone

Post by BJStone »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

OK going to try and answer a lot of questions

A historic base forces we have removed a lot of them and with the new disband units features we force the disbandment of some (not all because players need some flexibility) dutch, PI base forces.

Also base forces tend to be smaller in game

Yes we have French units in Tahiti and New Cal not US ones.

Units will be able to be allocated to Corps and Command HQ's and via the editor direct to Armies at present Corps can only be allocated to command HQ's (although this is something that will be looked at not sure when)

Restricted command units are always allocated to the top level HQ as Corps HQ's allocated in that way do not pass on the restricted nature to sub HQ's.

HQ combat bonuses and leaders - the coders have explained it to me about 3 times now and I still don't quite have it - when I understand it I will explain it to everyone else - suffice to say I think (and dont holdme to it) there will be an additional bonus if a units 'own' HQ is present in the Hex. i.e. there will be a command HQ bonus and a corps HQ bonus per stock (but there will be an additional bonus if a corps HQ is present that the units belong to

Repairs dont take supply in stock the reduciton you see is from bombing the base not from repairing the AF so there will be no change to this (I will double check this point)

Hi Andy Mac,

Did this Corps-belongs-to-unit bonus actually get placed in the game? I don't see anything about this in the manual and I was just wondering if this was one of those little gems that are not documented.

Regards,

BJ
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

no it didnt
BJStone

Post by BJStone »

Rats! [:D]

But thanks for answering so quickly!

Regards,

BJ
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

It should be a convoy its bassically th econversion of British AA Regts that were retrained as inf whent he critical shortage in inf occured
ORIGINAL: jcjordan

There's a Brit unit that comes in May44 that I'm not sure if it's meant to be like supply convoys or it's actually meant to be a land unit. The unit is #6684 Retrained AA Units. In scen #1 it comes in like it's a regular land unit but to my logic it seems like it's meant to be more like a supply convoy & add the devices to the pool. It does w/d after a couple of months though so I guess the end result would be about the same just 2 months instead of days before the devices go into the pool.
EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

Hi Andy (and everyone else),

I've gotten back into this game after some months away and I've got some error reports and some questions.

First the errors, apologies if some of these have already been posted, the lack of search feature is extremely annoying.
1.  18th Canadian Brigade (6280) has a presumably invalid rename date of 43101.
2.  1/1 Ceylon Det. (6437) has the outdated device entry 137 in TOEDevID7.
3.  Many of the other divided Indian Base Forces (6348-51, 6357-60, 6362-6, 6369-70, 6372-4, 6376, 6378) have the outdated device entry 143 in TOEDevID7.
4.  North Java Base Force (5900) has the outdated device entry 143 in WpnDevID8.
5. KNIL Rifle Squad 45 (996) upgrades to KNIL Rifle Squad (973).

Questions:
1.  I've noticed quite a few units have devices in different slots than their TOE does.  Does this effect replacements?  If so, how?
2.  I'm sure I remember seeing the answers to this some months ago, but can someone clarify the effects of the attributes Static HQ, Static Attached, Restricted Temp, and Restricted Permanent (as well as the various permutations)?
3. What do the Symbol and Size fields do?

Thanks for your great work on this game.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Questions:
1. I've noticed quite a few units have devices in different slots than their TOE does. Does this effect replacements? If so, how?
2. I'm sure I remember seeing the answers to this some months ago, but can someone clarify the effects of the attributes Static HQ, Static Attached, Restricted Temp, and Restricted Permanent (as well as the various permutations)?

Hey Easy, welcome back . . .

1. Especially at the beginning of the war, a lot of units had a hodge-podge of weapons that were eventually standardized, or discarded. A great example are the US Marine Corps Defense battalions. There are only a handful of them, but each of them seems to be equipped with a different battery of coastal defense guns (old navy 3", 5", 6" and 7" guns; and World War I era 155mm guns). Eventually, they all upgraded to modern M1A1 155mm PDF guns. The old M1918 is in that slot on the defense battalion TOE. Eventually the different guns of the various battalions should upgrade to that one model. The M1918 gun (device 1143) in turn will upgrade to the M1A1 (device 1144). So we can capture the subtle differences of half-a-dozen units using just one TOE.

In practice, this approach did not always work out perfectly when the game was first released, and michaelm has spent some time in patches (and with the beta) making it work better.

2. "Restricted" applies to HQs -- units assigned to a restricted HQs cannot load on ships, and, by most house rules, should not cross a national boundary. "Static Attached" means that the LCU can not change its headquarters assignment, invariably to a "restricted" headquarters. (Used to keep Japanese militia in Japan, US West Coast forces from sailing into the Pacific, &tc.).

3. As best I recall, the symbol field is used only to give cavalry units a cavalry-slash symbol ("12") instead of a default infantry or armor symbol -- purely cosmetic; or to designate an airborne unit ("13"), which makes it parachute-able as well as showing the "double-hump" airborne symbol.

All the other symbols are determined by the LCU's "type" designation
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse
Questions:
1. I've noticed quite a few units have devices in different slots than their TOE does. Does this effect replacements? If so, how?
2. I'm sure I remember seeing the answers to this some months ago, but can someone clarify the effects of the attributes Static HQ, Static Attached, Restricted Temp, and Restricted Permanent (as well as the various permutations)?

Hey Easy, welcome back . . .

1. Especially at the beginning of the war, a lot of units had a hodge-podge of weapons that were eventually standardized, or discarded. A great example are the US Marine Corps Defense battalions. There are only a handful of them, but each of them seems to be equipped with a different battery of coastal defense guns (old navy 3", 5", 6" and 7" guns; and World War I era 155mm guns). Eventually, they all upgraded to modern M1A1 155mm PDF guns. The old M1918 is in that slot on the defense battalion TOE. Eventually the different guns of the various battalions should upgrade to that one model. The M1918 gun (device 1143) in turn will upgrade to the M1A1 (device 1144). So we can capture the subtle differences of half-a-dozen units using just one TOE.

In practice, this approach did not always work out perfectly when the game was first released, and michaelm has spent some time in patches (and with the beta) making it work better.

2. "Restricted" applies to HQs -- units assigned to a restricted HQs cannot load on ships, and, by most house rules, should not cross a national boundary. "Static Attached" means that the LCU can not change its headquarters assignment, invariably to a "restricted" headquarters. (Used to keep Japanese militia in Japan, US West Coast forces from sailing into the Pacific, &tc.).

3. As best I recall, the symbol field is used only to give cavalry units a cavalry-slash symbol ("12") instead of a default infantry or armor symbol -- purely cosmetic; or to designate an airborne unit ("13"), which makes it parachute-able as well as showing the "double-hump" airborne symbol.

All the other symbols are determined by the LCU's "type" designation

Thanks for your helpful reply.

In regard to devices, I'm more wondering whether there are any issues between slots. For example, if the TOE of a unit has its Motorized Support in Device 3, but the unit has Motorized Support in Device 5, will the replacements work properly?

As for the restricted designation, what is the difference between "temporary" and "permanent" restricted?
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

In regard to devices, I'm more wondering whether there are any issues between slots. For example, if the TOE of a unit has its Motorized Support in Device 3, but the unit has Motorized Support in Device 5, will the replacements work properly?

As for the restricted designation, what is the difference between "temporary" and "permanent" restricted?

Re: motorized support devices in different fields. It should still work -- but there were problems early on with misaligned devices upgrading and I can't say for certain that all the bugs were quashed.

. . . and I've completely forgotten what "temporary" restricted was supposed to be used for.

We'll have to wait for AndyMac or a dev with a better memory than me to check in.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Bradley7735

Post by Bradley7735 »

I think temporary restricted means you can change the HQ with PP's. Permanent restricted means you can't change the HQ.

The older I get, the better I was.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Question regarding TOE- this is an British Air HQ (225 Group RAF) in scenario 2. It only has air support, support and torpedoe ordinance at the moment- but the full TOE looks very strange for an air HQ- is it correct?

Attachments
225GroupRAF.jpg
225GroupRAF.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

I think temporary restricted means you can change the HQ with PP's. Permanent restricted means you can't change the HQ.

Bingo! That is exactly correct.

Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Question regarding TOE- this is an British Air HQ (225 Group RAF) in scenario 2. It only has air support, support and torpedoe ordinance at the moment- but the full TOE looks very strange for an air HQ- is it correct?

That's a glitch. According to the Editor the unit's TOE is 2856 (Air Group HQ) which has only support and aviation support squads (and the torpedos). So the design is correct, and it should show up in-game as an Air HQ.

The screen shot appears to be TOE 2855 (Ind 43 Bde). If this is occuring in-game, I recommend that you post a save in the tech support forum.

EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

Another replacements question.  I've noticed that a lot of the Commonwealth base forces have a different radar/sound detector than their assigned TOE does.  By my understanding of how replacements work, the base force will consider the initial radar as extra equipment and draw on the replacement pool for the TOE's radar.

So,
1. Am I correct in the above?
2. If so, is this intentional?'

Thanks
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Radar is, in most cases, upgrade of Sound Detector Device.

I have not checked it for Allies, but Japan have, like 5 possible paths for this. There are actually 5 separate Sound Detector Devices (with different Device number, but the same name), which upgrade to different Radars, at different dates.

Just think of it, as with squad upgrades. You should not see Sound Detector, if there is Radar present, so Device is no extra, and TOE will try o fill it, when short.
EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused »

Radar is, in most cases, upgrade of Sound Detector Device.

I have not checked it for Allies, but Japan have, like 5 possible paths for this. There are actually 5 separate Sound Detector Devices (with different Device number, but the same name), which upgrade to different Radars, at different dates.

Just think of it, as with squad upgrades. You should not see Sound Detector, if there is Radar present, so Device is no extra, and TOE will try o fill it, when short.

But don't squad upgrades work differently from other device upgrades? Or is ground radar another exception?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”