Just a quick note...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

MaxyGamer

RE: Just a quick note...

Post by MaxyGamer »

No... We don't...We most definitely don't!

There will be more!
[:)]
Data

Post by Data »

Moaaar, moaaaaaar [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

BECAUSE MOAR!

Seriously though, I think it's best not to show all of your cards at once.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

lol, granted....chinese drop torture
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Caesar_Augustus

Post by Caesar_Augustus »

No, Data, not at all.
Psalm 89 (Latin Vulgate numbering, of course) encourages us:
"One thousand years in the presence of the Lord is but a yesterday,
already passed..."

So you see, patience is a great virtue! [;)]
Data

Post by Data »

It is.
Then again I never claimed to be a virtuous person so moaaar....moaaaaaar [:D]
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

Thanks for the update. The galaxy will be more alive with this expansion. The game also will be more awesome.
nammafia
Imrryran

Post by Imrryran »

I have to say I'm quite disappointed that the "war" side of the game will be enhanced but not the "political" side, which is really lacking flavour at the moment (the only action is to choose between some pre-defined government types). [:(]
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Imrryran

I have to say I'm quite disappointed that the "war" side of the game will be enhanced but not the "political" side, which is really lacking flavour at the moment (the only action is to choose between some pre-defined government types). [:(]

What would you like to see added to give more political options?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Imrryran

How could they introduce borders without modifying the political system? They have given a few headlines for things touched, it is hardly a complete list.

I am OK with war being huge though, but war and the political game runs hand in hand.
Imrryran

Post by Imrryran »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster
What would you like to see added to give more political options?
For instance factions, domestic policies, laws and decrees, political parties, different rebellion types, religions (or populations ideologies), etc.

These are some of the features you can see in games such as Alpha Centauri, Civilization 4/5, Victoria, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, King Arthur TRPW, Heart of Iron, etc.
Data

Post by Data »

Also Medieval Total War...the second one even more so than the first.
Imrryran

Post by Imrryran »

I don't quite remember there was something like that in MTW2? Could you please be more precise?

As far as I remember, the internal politics are really basic, with just a revolt percent making random revolts appear on the map.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You don't see a difference between a space simulation with 19 races, and a simulation of medieval (or more current) Europe?

Domestic polices are our government types. They could be expanded.

Laws and decrees. I don't see this make sense with hive minds. Merge with domestic policies and don't mention them.

Political parties? Not legal (or only 1 legal) in some countries on Earth. Would not make sense in a 19 species space game. Domestic policies covers more than enough.

Different rebellion types. This could make sense. If resource system is improved, and borders are introduced, one get new motivations for rebellion. Sphere of influence and lack of resources, for instance.

Religions. Covered by races I think, they like and dislike each other. You could also merge this with government types. You could have policies that influence the tolerance to alien populations in the empire (some of the multiple legged ones would score low, I think).

I think DW should try to be better at what it is good at, and not pretend it simulates war in Europe. Political options should be focused on relation and cooperation between empires, not running the empire. A very interesting feature of DW is the private/military split. To improve this aspects would make sense - get better at what it is good at.

Imrryran

Post by Imrryran »

I agree with you: the internal politics features should depend on the race. :)

And yes, at the moment there is a private sector feature, but no way to really play with it, it is mostly watching and protecting it. Why not permit to have different stances with respect to the private sector?
Data

Post by Data »

iirc MTW2 had factions, family trees with internal competition, papal excomunitactions and such.
Good idea with stances with respect to the private sector, this can help with the current gameplay
Facedrop

Post by Facedrop »

Yes i have fond memories in MTW2 of fighting religiously motivated crusades.
Perhaps a new race could be added who fanatically attempt to impose their religion on other races. Furthermore i agree that the private sector should be expanded so that political choices can effect it to a degree.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I'm being a jerk here by bringing up Alpha Centauri yet again, but if you have played it, you know how the social engineering works in it.
I think giving DW something similar in addition of goverment types would be neat, and would allow us to fine-tune different aspects of our empire.
These would of course affect diplomacy as well. "Power" races despise "research" oriented races, "police state" doesn't very much like idealistic "freeform" empire, and so on...
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

Nothing wrong taking a good thing from a classic and suggesting it for this new great one.
I'm offcourse also justifying here my past, present and future MOO2, SR2, etc ranting [:)]
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

I see nothing wrong with bringing up classics like MOO and Alpha Centauri.  Modern Authors reference Shakespeare, Tolstoy, and Beatrice Potter!
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”