Mud!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

PeeDeeAitch

Mud!

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

One of the things that players forget is that mud impacts supply lines...massively. Whether playing random weather or set, the German player can find that his units are out of supply when mud hits. This can cause problems, especially if facing strong stacks of Soviets.

Check supply, the easiest is to hit "r" and see if any units are in the Black Zone of Death. This means they are out of supply, and can surrender if attacked. Pull them back, now - into supply if you can, or at least a hext or two away from the front. This will happen most often in the south using non-random weather, and be prepared.

It is not fun to lose some divisions just because you got greedy and advanced too far.

-edit - and I know this is being discussed in an AAR right now, I just experienced this my own PBEM and though I would say it again. Mud sucks.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
TulliusDetritus

RE: Mud!

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I disagree. Mud made possible the destruction of two German divisions on my game All hail mud!

And mud helped you to form your '42 mega pocket after all. I guess it too stopped the Soviet hordes from counter-attacking you and thus saving their trapped chums [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Ridgeway

Post by Ridgeway »

Thanks for raising this here -- I felt a little bad about hijacking an AAR for the issue.

One other question -- what exactly is the effect of Mud on CVs? I did RTFM, but have not been able to locate the information.
TulliusDetritus

Ridgeway, when you attack the CV is divided by 8 [X(]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Ridgeway

Post by Ridgeway »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Ridgeway, when you attack the CV is divided by 8 [X(]

Is there any effect on the defensive CV? I am assuming there is none.
TulliusDetritus

Hmm, that I don't know [:)] But the "CV divided by 8" is already a big handicap. I mean, if you fear being attacked, mud is your best ally or shield. But as PDH said, pay attention to your supply lines.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

In 1.04 beta 1 mud now seems to show the effects on offensive CV. The defensive CV is unchanged (when shown in the "z" mode).

Mud is one of those German bugaboos in the early years. The initial mud slows everything down, the 42 spring Mud-Clear-Mud turns are potentially awful, with the 2nd moving Soviets driving hard in the clear and then having the mud turn (or 2 turns at the end of May beginning of June) to consolidate gains or eliminate pockets. Good fun!
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Ridgeway

Post by Ridgeway »

Does the Mud also affect aircraft CVs? I have just gotten to the first Mud turn of my PBEM, and my AF attacks are much less effective than usual. Or is it just a coincidence?
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

The Soviets have an artificial advantage in the Clear-Mud sequences. They can move units and be immune to counterattack; not the Germans.

German players attempting to form targets risk isolation of their units

Soviet players risk nothing; Mud will guard against any counterattacks

I'm surprised this hasn't come up alot more, actually
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

The Soviets have an artificial advantage in the Clear-Mud sequences. They can move units and be immune to counterattack; not the Germans.

Certainly, it is something that already I have noticed. Unfortunately[&:].
squatter

Post by squatter »

ORIGINAL: Cerion

Certainly, it is something that already I have noticed. Unfortunately[&:].

Absolutely. Clear/Mud/Clear is unbelievably bad as Germans. It's where the IGOUGO system as it its weakest, and can produce completely distorted results. Practically any pocket the Soviets are able to make will hold.

Spring weather really should be looked at.

Return to “The War Room”