Close to purchasing

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

kam99

Close to purchasing

Post by kam99 »

I am really close to purchasing this.

I usually prefer tactical games such as Panzer Command. How does this compare in complexity to say Battles From The Bulge, The Operational Art of War and Hearts of Iron III?
tgb

RE: Close to purchasing

Post by tgb »

It's probably closest to TOAW, since they're both operational games. BftB is real time, and a bit more complex for that reason.  HoI III isn't even in the same ballpark.  Completely different kind of game.
kam99

Post by kam99 »

tgb,
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that the other games I mention are different. I am trying to get a handle on how complex Warsaw to Paris is. I find that HoI III, TOAW and BftB are all complex games, and take a lot of time to learn. Is Warsaw to Paris also a very complex game, or has it an easier learning curve? I realise that the question is subjective, but I would value opinions.
htuna

Post by htuna »

I don't think it's as complex as HOI III.. in fact very easy to hop right in... But there's much to learn as your playing... though it's not a situation where you sit there not knowing what to do right from the beginning... I still can't seem to get into HOI III, even though I enjoyed HOI II...

I'm glad I bought this game.. and the price is not bad...
Josh

Post by Josh »

My opinion, for what it counts after having played it since release; it's sort of TOAW, but easier to play, most certainly not less complex then TOAW though.
Easy to get in to, but it will take a lot longer to make you a skilled player. The cards for instance are something quite new, easy to grasp, but before you know how to play them best....
What I find very .... uhm, intriguing, complex, challenging is the right word I think, is that you can sometimes vasly outnumber your opponent, but he still has a very good chance of keeping up a stiff defence... you just can't beat him because of obvious reasons. Too many troops in an area gets you a (stacking) penalty, attacking with them one after the other gets you an even worse penalty.
So no matter how powerful your airforce or artillery or infantery is, they won't succeed, well in their initial attacks anyway. You really really have to take that into your attack planning.

I'm no fan of HoI, tried I and II, gave up on III. The retreating units just reappearing in another area... [:@] the realtime idea behind it, too many sliders and knobs and dials, effecting whoever knows what. Not my cup of tea.

So hm, complex, easy to get into, pleasing artwork.

My 2 cts.

Oh, tried TOAWI and III too, never managed to get into it. Great complexity, but the engine dates back to ... 95? That was a time when they (gamecompanies, developers) tried to implement an idea of time passing by with a turn based game, that's what is behind (IMHO) the gamemechanics of TOAW. You attack with one or more units; other units not played *are* effected by the time this initial attack/move takes; depicted in the (dreaded) stars on you righthand screen.

This game has something like it, but much more simple and easier to comprehense; it's the movement actionpoints extra you need in a hex, clearly depicted in a small black box in the hex. So sort of the same idea as TOAW, but much easier.

Allthough, I must admit, TOAW has outstanding epic AAR's, in this here forum and others.
kam99

Post by kam99 »

Thanks to all who replied. I bought the game!
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: kam99

Thanks to all who replied. I bought the game!

kam99 be sure you let us know what you think, as soon as you do think. Josh gave a great response to your question and I must concur with everything he said. I have lost a lot of sleep since "game day". The game has the ability to make me tell my wife, "just one more turn honey", at 2AM-after saying the same thing for three hours. Also, TBWP is a beautiful game to look at. But there is much more to the system than the chrome. I have been happily surprised at the subtle complexity of the game. Yeah you can click and go, but the greatness of the system is it will not be mastered easily. BLAH BLAH.

LOVE IT. Have fun and report in.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Dunhill_BKK

Post by Dunhill_BKK »

I think this game hits a sweet spot between complexity and playability that others don't.

It feels like a mix between an AGEOD game and an HPS game, with the cards a bit like selections in Wars in America, and the hex and unit feel of HPS. I like the battle system, and air and artillery. All the information is easy to find.

I hope this all lends itself to modding in the near future.

It is also not too expensive: A$50 for me isn't too bad.
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

ORIGINAL: Dunhill_BKK

I think this game hits a sweet spot between complexity and playability that others don't.

It feels like a mix between an AGEOD game and an HPS game, with the cards a bit like selections in Wars in America, and the hex and unit feel of HPS. I like the battle system, and air and artillery. All the information is easy to find.

I hope this all lends itself to modding in the near future.

It is also not too expensive: A$50 for me isn't too bad.

I agree 100%. I don't know how I missed this game, but I didn't follow its development at all until a few days before release. I recently bought Kharkov Disaster on the Donets and haven't touched it because I'm playing this game. Kharkov has a 166 page manual... Its complicated and just isn't as enjoyable.

Yes, Decisive Campaigns is "just right" with complexity. The map is beautiful and all info is easy to find. Vic's hard work has paid off. I know its early, but I'm already looking forward to the next game in the series. East Front would be nice!

I'd like to see some mods too. There are a few minor things that I'd like to see get tweaked, like different music, more sounds for combat, artillery & planes, and different unit pics. The ability for engineers to build pontoon bridges would be a nice addition. I'd like to see reconaissance units(battalion size maybe?). I use my engineers sometimes for that function when I dont have planes available. Maybe even have more of a variety of land and town pictures for the top view window. Of course, my favorite, I'd like to see someone add in regimental ID numbers, but I won't hold my breath for that...
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

I don't think it's as complex as HOI III.. in fact very easy to hop right in... But there's much to learn as your playing... though it's not a situation where you sit there not knowing what to do right from the beginning... I still can't seem to get into HOI III, even though I enjoyed HOI II...

I'm glad I bought this game.. and the price is not bad...
re. HOIIII
Try HOI3 with SemperFI and Human opponents. With similar skill levels I swear you are fighting a very realistic simulation of WWII.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”