Naval search not recognize CVs

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

krafen73

Naval search not recognize CVs

Post by krafen73 »

Hi, i'm just learning the game in the Guadalcanal scenario as Jap.

There are three US TFs with a CV on each that every turn bombs my troops at Guadalcanal.
I have 6 Marvel floatplanes in naval search narrow pointed in their direction searching at 20.000 feet (they are shooted by cap at lower altitudes).
The problem is that the Marvels recognizes all ships in the TFs (BB, CA etc) but i dont have reports regardings the CVs. Them are in place, i checked loading the game as allied. This continued for weeks, but i didnt received yet no reports about CV.

Is this right? if not, any solution?

Thank you
vlcz

RE: Naval search not recognize CVs

Post by vlcz »

First, that floatplanes are really marvelous, but the name is Mabel[8D]..then 20000 feet is really a lot of altitude, and perhaps his experience is not the best to discern a CV from a oiler,or canoe, from si high..

But is indeed strange, as the norm seems to be wronged in the other way , patrol seeing 700 CV in each PTboat TF
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

Is this right? if not, any solution?
I fly most search missions at 6k. I rarely go beyond 75% of the search range and finally, I always have 50% of search planes on rest or training.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

I agree with the concepts here. Searching around 6000 feet has brought me the best success. 50% is sustainable in almost every situation. More experienced pilots will be able to sustain a higher tempo across all missions, but 100% is not sustainable except in rare circumstances. 100% searching committment will task your pilots morale quickly. Be sure to choose the best time to do this. Regarding searching arcs, remember the double edged sword that you are not searching those other arcs in cases you otherwise would. Be careful around this tactic. Lastly, remember there is a spotting level on all units in FOW games. At minimum, low, and moderate spotting levels on task forces, you will always get less than exact and sometimes downright poor information on ship types and numbers. It is entirely possible to get a spotting report of 10 CV's or 6BB's when you are certain it cannot be. It also is likely at low spotting levels that you will not spot a capital ship in said convoy. Take these spotting reports as the markers they are and decide how to exploit if possible.

It also is good tactics to pulse in search plane types to active comabt zones if at all possible.
Andy M

Return to “The War Room”