Insane Steam Holiday Sale

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

V22 Osprey

Insane Steam Holiday Sale

Post by V22 Osprey »

I know you guys don't like Steam, but the Steam holiday sale going on is absolutely insane!!!!

Rome Total war Gold - $2.50!!!

My friend just got Left4Dead 1 for $7.50!!!
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Zakhal

RE: Insane Steam Holiday Sale

Post by Zakhal »

I have bought around XXX€ worth of DD games from steam, gog and gamergate this holiday. I have like a ton of good games now.

Just guessing but this sale could be due to he bad year. Companies are squeezing out last dollars before the year changes and they need the money desperately.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

True there are some very low prices, but most of the stuff that's low is either substandard or very old hat...not really my cup of tea...I generally don't like going back...especialy if the games are really old...which some of them are.

Left 4 Dead for $7.50 is a good bargain though...shame I have it :-)
Alba gu' brath
Emobama

Post by Emobama »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

I have bought around XXX€ worth of DD games from steam, gog and gamergate this holiday. I have like a ton of good games now.

Just guessing but this sale could be due to he bad year. Companies are squeezing out last dollars before the year changes and they need the money desperately.
I believe they had a similar sale last year. I picked up Zombie Driver.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

True there are some very low prices, but most of the stuff that's low is either substandard or very old hat...not really my cup of tea...I generally don't like going back...especialy if the games are really old...which some of them are.

Left 4 Dead for $7.50 is a good bargain though...shame I have it :-)

Yea, but alot of those $50 games are now down 25% to 50% off.Which is good for me as I never pay $50 or more unless it's a wargame.

Oh, and you can't beat Civilization IV Complete edition for $13.60!!!(To bad it's is a one day only sale, and it's going to end in like 15 minutes)
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
uncc

Post by uncc »

Yesterday when I saw CIV4 Complete for $13, I finally caved and joined Steam...Its back to $26 today
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I've grabbed a bunch of games on steam that I have had my eye on for a bit, and dirt cheap too. I spent the money there rather than here due to complete inability to get a question answered here over the holidays. I like many of the Indie games. I figured buy them now at %50-%80 off, and gradually go through them next year one at a time.
htuna

Post by htuna »

Grabbed, Left 4 Dead 2 Xmas Eve for 33.. it's up to 37 now...
that's an awesome price on CIV 4... Full Crysis (Original and Expansion Pack) are 14 bucks right now, if you have the system that can run it!
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

I've snagged a few. Sniper Elite ($1.99), Rainbow 6 Vegas ($9.99), R6 Vegas 2 ($4.99). I'm waiting to see if Tropico 3 or the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 get a big one day super sale, otherwise I'll grab at least Tropico 3 on the final day (Jan 3rd). Oh, and I'll likely grab AI War as well.

Add that to King's Bounty : Armored Princess and Men of War during the GG run up to Christmas sale and some GOG purchases and I got me some games to play! [:D]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

I must say I procrastinated and bought a few things on Steam these past few days. Left4dead as I didn't rush out and buy it when it was new. X3:Terran Conflict, Tropico III, the full compliation of Everquest for $4.99 it's like 15 expansions all in one package. Overlord for $2.99. Everything combined didn't really add up to one brand new game retail. Bought some things on Direct2Drive as well.
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I know you guys don't like Steam.

I love steam. You can get good deals on games,...especially game packs. You can always download and play the games through steam, so no finding order #'s or going to support to redownload a title you have bought. All the games are updated to play on modern OS's.......... all the games are automatically updated. You DO NOT have to be online to play your steam games.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

I know you guys don't like Steam,

Steam can suck my balls.

Whoring yourself out to them doesn't help my opinion of you. [:-]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Steam can suck my balls.

Whoring yourself out to them doesn't help my opinion of you. [:-]

I hope he doesn't kill himself now, NK... [;)]

Steam is OK, I suppose. Not a huge fan of it, but the couple of games I have that came from it work correctly. Except when my extremely reliable [8|] internet goes down and I would like to play one. You're starting to see that with a buttload of games now though, so I suppose it's the new fad.

Goblin
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Oh noes, some doddering stranger apparently thinks less of me due to where I buy a game...truly, a deep cut if there ever was one...[>:]
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Steam is OK, I suppose. Not a huge fan of it, but the couple of games I have that came from it work correctly. Except when my extremely reliable [8|] internet goes down and I would like to play one. You're starting to see that with a buttload of games now though, so I suppose it's the new fad.

You have to be online to play their games?
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

We're seeing this nonsense become the norm because people will put up with it. Some of the dupes are such a puppet mouthpiece, they'll even defend this kind of DRM.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

How does Steam work? According to their website, after you pay for a game you may then download and then play it. Do you have to connect up to the Steam server and authenticate your license before you play it each time, like Rise of Flight? 
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
wilecki

Post by wilecki »

Oh, and you can't beat Civilization IV Complete edition for $13.60!!!(To bad it's is a one day only sale, and it's going to end in like 15 minutes)
Well I grabbed Civ 4 Complete for a mere €5 retail, thus a non-Steam version. That shows how big monopolist Steam still is to dictate such prices as a digital outlet and to advertise them as special offers. Luckily there were plenty of other good deals there, like Orange Box for 50% or some old Lucasarts adventures that were a steal.

I even almost went for buying HoI3 when it was 75% off, but I've regained sanity just in time not to do it. I've read few examples of how difficult it is to mod Steam versions of certain games, and I'd rather buy it full price from GG, when they finally make it playable of course. I use Steam only for Valve games, Indie games and some old games and it works for me so far.
"I didn't know that there are so many idiots in this world, until I started to use Internet" - Stanislaw Lem
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

How does Steam work? According to their website, after you pay for a game you may then download and then play it. Do you have to connect up to the Steam server and authenticate your license before you play it each time, like Rise of Flight? 

Actually...yeah, I suppose it does work pretty similarly to Rise of Flight.

You buy your game. Then you get it downloading and installing (Steam does that). After that, whenever you run that game, it has to run through Steam.

There are exceptions to the rule with some games that don't have to, but which ones seem to be a confusing mess with nobody really knowing for certain.
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Actually...yeah, I suppose it does work pretty similarly to Rise of Flight.

You buy your game. Then you get it downloading and installing (Steam does that). After that, whenever you run that game, it has to run through Steam.

There are exceptions to the rule with some games that don't have to, but which ones seem to be a confusing mess with nobody really knowing for certain.

you dont need to be online whenever you want to play the game. If the games were already installed on your machine, you can start steam offline and play the game. You will need internet connection to update the game though.

and remember, with steam, you can install your can to infinite number of machines as they are licenced to your account and not to a single computer.

but I heard that steam does not have any legal obligation to provide you the game files after 4 or so years of your purchase. Though this can only be a rumour...
This is Great War, everybody dies!

Return to “General Discussion”