Saves to Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HHI

Saves to Mod

Post by HHI »

The P-38's modeled in WITPAE are certainly a long way from the aircraft that destroyed the JAAF (and the naval aircraft involved in the I-GO offensive. The P-38 is outmanuevered in the DB by the Betty! Hmmm.

I modded the DB for the P-38. However, although the saves came over from the base scenario, they come over as Scenario #1. Seems like they should have changed to the actual scenario they are going into. Can these saves be changed to the new scenario number (which is 26). Help!
HHi
Terminus

RE: Saves to Mod

Post by Terminus »

Are you talking about save games, i.e. you've started to play your mod? If so, then the scenario number has no bearing on the save game number whatsoever.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I was going to look at that down the road, what changes did you make and why ?

Thanks !

Rich

ORIGINAL: HHI

The P-38's modeled in WITPAE are certainly a long way from the aircraft that destroyed the JAAF (and the naval aircraft involved in the I-GO offensive. The P-38 is outmanuevered in the DB by the Betty! Hmmm.

I modded the DB for the P-38. However, although the saves came over from the base scenario, they come over as Scenario #1. Seems like they should have changed to the actual scenario they are going into. Can these saves be changed to the new scenario number (which is 26). Help!
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
HHI

Post by HHI »

Terminus

Thanks for the reply. No, what I did was copy the Quiet China Scenario into Scenario #26 and mod the P-38 data base. I would like to continue my game, which is now in March 1943. The saves came with the copy, but all as Scenario #1. I have no saves for )#26. So if I open my modded game, I have no saves. If I open a saved scenario, they are all the non-modded data base (ie, the game I copied into #26. What I want to do is get the saved games into my new modded game.
HHi
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

Saves are not dependant on scenario files.

When you make a save, it is its own 'instance' of that scenario, and any changes to the original (bar some hokus pokus by the devs) will not affect any save games 'based' on that scenario, as it is now an independant self contained entity.

So if you want those changes to take effect, youll have to start a new game using your Scen26. They will then apply to that save game, though if you make further changes youll have to restart again.

Makes me appreciate what the testers must have gone through...
HHI

Post by HHI »

Richard III

Everyone quickly realized that dog fighting a Zero was not a ticket to longevity. The technique used by P-38 pilots and, for that matter, anyone engaged with a Zero, was a single pass technique, In the case of the P-38, the plane was very, very fast and had tremendous firepower. I was also a a very stable gun platform. The data base does not reflect the superior Hispano 20mm in comparison to the Zero cannon and does not at all reflect the remarkable aerodynamic properties of the Browning 50 cal. bullet.

So, the technique involved, ideally, having greater altitude than the Zero, attacking the formation, using the superior firepower of the P-38 to kill the Zero, and continue the dive, which the Zero couldn't hope to match, later zoom climbing to reengage if practical. If bounced by Zero's, the dive and zoom was used to escape. The P-38 also had the advantage of two engines, which got many a damaged plane back on one engine and, of course, armor.

Within the data base, the only real option seems to be to increase the maneuverability. I probably should have increased the firepower, but did not. I am certainly looking for suggestions. The actual campaign demonstrates the overwhelming superiority of the P-38 to any IJN or JAAF fighter in use in 1943 and 1944.
HHi
JuanG

Post by JuanG »

The game already severly overrates the .50cal, and the M2 Hispano as used on the early P-38s, while superior to the Type 99 ballistically, was unreliable and prone to malfuction, unlike its British counterpart. Compared to the better Type 99-2 it was even worse. The M3 corrected some of its shortcomings, but the US remained without a good aircraft cannon until after the war.

Ingame, the P-38 already has all the advantage it needs, being 50+ MPH faster than the Zero, and posessing better climb and durability ratings.

With the decreasing quality of Japanese pilots at that era, and the improving US ones, the results should work out.

While the exact routines arent known those not on the Air Team, my understanding is that skilled pilots can neglect an opponents superior manuever rating by using speed and other advantages.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

And BTW, the MVR rating data field is not used for bombers, so your mod of the P-38 will have no effect on its ability to intercept Bettys.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”