Map Making tip

Please post here for questions and discussion about unit modeling and general game modding. You can also post your new units and modifications here.

Moderator: EagleMountainDK

rickier65

Map Making tip

Post by rickier65 »

Working on Hill 621 map and just finished putting in the hedges.

Just thought I'd post how nice the import Scene Edit changes function works. I can put in the hedges and get them pretty close with Map Maker, but for curving the hedges, it works really nice now to go into Scene Edit and make those minute changes to 'yaw' to rotate the hedges into placee, then when I close the Scene Edit I'm sitting back in MM and can import those changes and do another quick build (to save my imported changes) without viewing in Scene Edit again.

this works really nice now.

Now to do the walls. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. First time I did a lot of walls, it took quite a while to get them just right. They need to line up both horizontally AND vertically at the join points. takes jostling with both yaw, and pitch (or roll). and Maybe even sink.

Making progress, I'll do stone walls, perhaps a lin of telegraph poles on the N-S road on east side of map, then buildings, then a few extras, then some random trees scattered (auto gen on some selected terrain colors).

Thanks!
Rick
benpark

RE: Map Making tip

Post by benpark »

The map maker is great for the heavy lifting, but a last round of cleaning up in the scene editor makes for much nicer looking maps.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
rickier65

RE: Map Making tip

Post by rickier65 »

Just anohter note on Map Maker import - for yaw it rounds to the nearest degree. This is usually fine, but occasionally you will need to adjust it finer in Scene Edit (when you are alligning telephone wires on curved sections). Also pitch and roll aren't imported so if you are doing very fine detail adjustments you will need to do this in a final Scene Edit pass.

Thanks!
Rick

Return to “Maps, Models and Mods”