Crossroads: Axis Perspective

Post details of your great victories and catastrophic defeats here to share with others.
Chocolino

Crossroads: Axis Perspective

Post by Chocolino »

I will provide occasional feedback on how my first PBEM with Edelweiss75 progresses from the Axis perspective. At this point I don't think I will cover every move but try to give a general overview on the situation.

We play default everything and allow what the game allows you to do for simplicity.

Since strategy will be discussed here, please don't read this, Edelweiss75 until after the game. Thank you.

Pictures will be provided starting 2/1/40. (I did not plan to do the AAR at first and did not take screen shots earlier, sorry).

Comments, recommendations and suggestions are very welcome.
Chocolino

RE: Crossroads: Axis Perspective

Post by Chocolino »

Chamberlains appeasement politics have failed and Germany invaded Poland 9/1/1939. International observers are puzzled though that despite the large number of excellent German Generals in the Heer, the High Command has given the operational command of the invasion to the quite unknown and rather inexperienced Chocolino.

First doubts about his military qualities arose when the amphibious invasion of Denmark resulted in "very high" losses. But after reviewing the results it turned out that all casualties were caused by pneumonia to the troops as an aftereffect of wet socks after the amphibious landing. No enemy interference whatsoever was detected. A brave Polish submarine sacrificed itself and was able to drag a German U-boot into the abyss as well in the Baltic. (in an early version of sub to sub attack that needed to  be reinvented later in history again since all knowledge ceased to exist immediately after the action with the respective sub commanders).

Chocolinos staff refused to disclose any war footage of the campaign at this point (and also the following weeks) and claims as reason the  concern for military security. However, well informed circles in touch with Chocolinos headquarters suspect that the footage was either lost or not even taken in the general confusion at HQ.

In summary the German High command has to live with 119 PP losses (1 SS, 1 AIP, invasion damage) in exchange for the income from Denmark. Not a promising prospect.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Nazi political leadership demanded quick results from the Polish campaign to reap 50 Diplomatic points form an early victory. As a result of the overeager marching German units, three entire corps were encircled north of Warswa by the well defending Poles and were completely out of supply. The High Command had to live through some tense days. Rumors of Chocolino's immediate dismissal circled at the press. Finally it was clear that all three units survived luckily. Chocolino escaped an official reprimand since his troops redeemed him shortly thereafter with the fall of Warswa on November 1st - at least in the eyes of the public. In reality it was the German airforce that won the day in Warswa since an earlier German 7-1 failed to carry.

Under strong public pressure, the high command could not avoid (with some chargrin) to even offer Chocolino a follow up command in future military activities in the west. 

(Note: Will have pictures from now on, at first I didn't want to write an AAR and didn't prepare for it)
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

This will be fun!  Thank you so much for deciding to do the AAR.

Gary and I both know the feeling of tension as the Poles defend well!  Special congratulations to the Poles for sinking the U-Boat!

Chuck
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Thank you for the encouraging comment. The quality of my visuals will not compare to yours but it is a start.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

February 16, 1940

While German units were rushed back via the overtaxed railway system, OKW on one hand and v. Manstein and v. Runstedt on the other quarreled over the best way to invade France. The two main options under discussion were to repeat the Schlieffen Plan of WWI or drive through the Ardenne Forest instead.

The impatient Chocolino decided to ignore both and attack the Netherlands early while the troops intended to drive through the Ardennes and Belgium were still enjoying a train ride through Western Poland. Not having a sound operational plan, he decided to do what his HQ staff knows best: "wing it". Amsterdam was approached but not yet attacked.

In the meanwhile, the Italians were still undecided when the best time to join the war has come. They use a smart strategy of minimizing the risk while maximizing the benefits. As for now they readied themselves at the French border. While German pride initially rejected any Italian help, they may quickly change their mind once they are exposed to a solid French defense.

Attachments
Feb1640.jpg
Feb1640.jpg (142.05 KiB) Viewed 566 times
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Chocolino

Chocolino escaped an official reprimand

Thank goodness for that! I hear that official reprimand's from the carpet eater could sometimes be quite irksome.

Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

ORIGINAL: Chocolino

Chocolino escaped an official reprimand

Thank goodness for that! I hear that official reprimand's from the carpet eater could sometimes be quite irksome.

The burden of extensive long term retirement planning was taken off your shoulders very effectively on some occasions.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

March 1st 1940

The early attack on Amsterdam has on one hand saved some time. On the other hand it did give the Allies an early warning on where and how we will attack. As a result they were able to organize their defense in Belgium and northern France better and delay the German advance. But every month that passes provides extra resources to the Western defenders to strengthen their lines, so an attack as early as possible seems necessary.

Amsterdam is encircled now and the units used there are deperately needed before France can be tackled seriously.

Attachments
MAR140.jpg
MAR140.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

April 1st, 1940

Amsterdam fell by siege earlier and the units were freed to move south towards Brussels which is encircled now. Through the Ardenne Forest, only a defensive line is posted for now. The French line looks very solid and becomes stronger in quality and number every turn. This is very different from the war games back at the German military academy called "AI".

Investments made so far:
Upgrade one Panzer Division to Corps,
Upgrade a Panzer Corps to L2,
Purchase two new L2 INF
Repair 2 air damage still form the attack on Warswa.
Some minor repairs.

Attachments
April140.jpg
April140.jpg (119.81 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

April 16th, 1940

Brussels has surrendered to the besieging German forces. Another Panzer Corps is now at L2 and the majority of the German forces engaged the French/British lines. Most of the UK production must have been sent to France. Is the UK vulnerable as a result? We don't dare an amphibious attack at this time because of the inequality of the naval forces. Although it is not unheard of that attacks on Scotland have succeeded in a similar situation ("Road to Where").

German units probed some weaker French infantry units near Lille but penetrated just one field. Spearheads are in contact with the outer defenses of the city.

Attachments
April1640.jpg
April1640.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

May 1st, 1940

Some progress has been made in front of Lille and it is surrounded on its northern half. The morale of the French has faltered for a brief moment as the result of the conquest of Belgium. We are afraid that we haven't made enough from this one time "morale" opportunity. A French Corps is encircled close to the Channel coast but we are convinced it will somehow make its way back behind French lines. (pls fix this strategic movement out of encirclement issue that the allies enjoy in the current game system)

The enterprising French made a limited sortie out of the Maginot line, maybe to distract from the declining morale at home. They probed for gaps in the German defense in the Palantine and the Black Forest. The French were checked by German reserves defending in depth.

In the Ardennes, smaller attrition battles ensued without much consequence for the overall situation but a french division is lost.

Attachments
May140.jpg
May140.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

May 9th, 1940

Lille has been taken by force. Even though we will not get any immediate economic benefit from this conquest, it will improve our supply situation locally. The Luftwaffe was once again instrumental in weakening an armored unit defending Lille and enabling a higher probability land attack.

Afterwards, mechanized and armored units created two breakthroughs, threatening encirclement within the next weeks. A smaller gap near Luxembourgh could not be exploited lacking mobile and armored forces at this area of the front. We are convinced that the highly skilled commander of the allied forces will easily avoid the encirclement. We expect to net some geographic gain in the end and are worried to fight an opponent focussed on skilled delaying retreat rather than a force defending and protecting the French national territories at any cost.

Attachments
May91940.jpg
May91940.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 568 times
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Perfidious Albion!

Great AAR, really enjoying it.

Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Thank you. Try to be as "perfidious" as possible here, but it is quite hard if it becomes suddenly an obligation.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

May 16th 1940

There has been a strategic withdrawal of the French after they have been abandoned by their British Allies at the French boarder. But it looks both sides come to terms in a new defensive line ranging from LeHavre over Paris to Metz taking defensive advantage of some major river lines.

As expected the only gain of the previous breakthrough was geographic while at home the ministery of propaganda was already starting to declare the "endsieg". They will soon find a scapegoat in Chocolino if reality and propaganda remain somewhat disconnected.

Only a single French unit was encircled. But we know the French habit of sneaking back through German lines where beer drinking German sentries don't notice even entire corps marching by.

North of Metz, the French command left a single division in the path of the German advance to delay the progress. The unit fought valiently and survived against all odds and the French exploratory expedition is back in the Maginot line.

The Italians thought the French now busy enough up north to tiptoe into the southern path. They declared war. But their forces remain weak and make little progress.

Attachments
May161940.jpg
May161940.jpg (135.71 KiB) Viewed 568 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The next turn will tell a lot.  I will be interested in how the Vichy question is approached by the Allied player, as there has been a lot of discussion about it.  It is fun to see the different takes on defense of France.  If you think of it perhaps you can post the loss ratio report at intervals.  It can reveal quite a bit.

It will also be interesting to see the campaign in the Med and North Africa.

Thanks for the pleasure of a view into your battle.

Chuck
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Chuck, thank you for your following my amateurish attempts.

The Vichy question is interesting indeed. However, and unfortunately, it is not even close to be decided anytime soon - and actually I did not expect it myself at all seeing how well Etienne is playing. He has a sound plan. (I have the benefit of foresight since the report lags a few turns behind).

There was not much happening so far in the Med (that I could detect) but I will mention the status from time to time.

Question: Can you close and reopen RtV like a Window? That would help making multiple screen shots. So far I have to: PRNTSCRN, save, exit, save the pic and restart the game for every image taken. Hence I create fewer pictures.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

In your RtV preferences screen you can select windowed mode for RtV and this is how I play.  It works well and you can tab between applications nicely. You must exit and restart RtV to see the change, so go in now, between turns, and try it.  I think you will love the flexibility it gives you.

Chuck
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Thank you, overlooked it. Will have more shots starting end of June.

May 24th, 1940

A quiet move of repair and catch-up with the retreating French. Who thinks that this is a general French collapse is far from the truth. A new strong defensive line forms behind the next river system and we try to penetrate it just west of Metz. We hope that we can stretch the French and their allies so far that they are not able to close all gaps. Attacking frontal across the river towards Paris is faster but very expensive and we shy away of getting a bloody nose. Instead we also try to wear away the defensive line at the edges where we can use multi-unit attacks. But this method is very slow.

At this point, the unit loss ratio is still approximately 10:1 in favor of the Germans with the French.

Italy proceeds very slowly in France and has taken advantage of the last peaceful months to ship low level infantry divisions to Africa with the idea to upgrade them on site. Now, in the desert, a few units line up near the boarder on both sides. The British of much higher quality though.

The Italian Fleet is still at home and awaits first reports of interference with the supply convoys before deciding on a course of action. (However, those reports seem to be intercepted by some secret agent called Mr. Bug so that they never arrive.)

Attachments
May2440.jpg
May2440.jpg (113.23 KiB) Viewed 568 times

Return to “After Action Reports”