Heroes of Stalingrad VS. Squad Battles

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
pad152

Heroes of Stalingrad VS. Squad Battles

Post by pad152 »

I really like squad level combat but, could never get into HPS Squad Battles, there are too many phases where you do nothing but watch vs doing anything. Your troops seem to do just as well leaving them alone, letting them shoot during the return phase vs having them target the enemy. There is also a lack of feedback and detail on what is really going on during combat at this scale. Vehicle combat seemed more like rock, paper, scissors then anything tactical.

So how will Heroes of Heroes of Stalingrad differ from the Squad Battle games?

How many phases are there?
lancerunolfsson

RE: Heroes of Stalingrad VS. Squad Battles

Post by lancerunolfsson »

Well at a minimum it should LOOK a lot better than Squad Battles. If only because HPS sets this bar so incredibly low;^)
If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

pad,

Have you looked at Panzer Command: Kharkov? I also enjoy squad level combat, and have three of the HPS Squad Battle games.

But I've lately become a fan of Panzer Command. I've done a couple of adaptions of the original Squad Leaders scenarios for PC:K and they seem to work pretty well. I'm keeping my eye on this game as well to see how it develops - looks good so far.

Rick

pad152

Post by pad152 »

ORIGINAL: Rick

pad,

Have you looked at Panzer Command: Kharkov? I also enjoy squad level combat, and have three of the HPS Squad Battle games.

But I've lately become a fan of Panzer Command. I've done a couple of adaptions of the original Squad Leaders scenarios for PC:K and they seem to work pretty well. I'm keeping my eye on this game as well to see how it develops - looks good so far.

Rick

I tried the demo of the first one, didn't like the 10 little indian infantry model or the odd two different phase combat, I would always forget which phase I was in.

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

No problem pad just wanted to mention it. But just so you know, I also tried out the demo of PC:OWS and decided to pass on that one.

But, I did follow the development threads for the follow on and I'm glad I did. They added quite a lot, and hopefully next one in series will add even more.

However - they still have the same unit display ( I think you're referring to the HUD at bottom of screen). and still have the same two-phase system, so if those two things were biggest issues, then you probably wouldn't like the follow on either(actually I didn't like the HUD when I first starting playing - now I use it a lot).

(I started last night working on the old Hill 621 Squad Leader scenario for PCK map will be finished in few days).

Thanks - I'm anxious to see how Lock n Load comes out. It looks like something I'm going to like.

Rick

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”