Interface Questions

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

emcgman

Interface Questions

Post by emcgman »

Are there any plans to add additional overlay buttons.

I would especially like to see a button/hotkey that highlites all my cavalry on the map, for example. Similar buttons to highlite artillery, militia and infantry would be great.

I play a variety of games, and sometimes don't get back to a particular game for a week or so.

With Kharkov DOTD, I can see at a glance where everything is, even if I haven't played in a few days.

But with GGWBTS, I have to spend an hour just looking over the map to see what the situation is. This deters me from playing this great game.

With a game like Kharkov, there's a max of 4 units in a hex. But with GGWBTS, there might be 7-10 leaders with associated units in a single region. If you use NATO symbols, everything is just an `X'. Not useful at all.

GGWBTS is one of the coolest computer strategy games ever made, but I seriously need some interface conveniences.

In the meantime, any gameplay tips on how to manage this stuff would be welcomed.

Thanks

Joel Billings

RE: Interface Questions

Post by Joel Billings »

No plans for new buttons, but there are many hotkeys that allow you to highlight areas with certain units, so you can pick infantry, cavalry, etc. Press the h key to see the list of hotkeys.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

read back over the threads in this forum- its packed with tips.
and once you get the hotkeys down its pretty easy to see what is where.

also use the leader icon on the bar up top to locate commanders with whatever attribute you need- I need to find administrative officers all the time to build forts - that really helps to find them- click on the area it says its in and it takes you right there on the map. Same for cav- remember militia cav is a diff hotkey then regular cav
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.
emcgman

Post by emcgman »

Joel,

`Find unit type hotkeys', that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks also Doc O War for the reminder about the leader screen, I hadn't really been utilizing it other than to find army and theatre commanders.

GShock

Post by GShock »

emc that's the most useful tool in the whole game. U need to assign MIL to the best training leaders if you want them to fight effectively as INF. By clicking on a general you can put him in the bottom line and goes highlighted in red. Easy then to scroll down and compare the general u look for with the general u had previously highlighted. Very very useful and important tool not just to locate but also to compare. 
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

[&o] it is a useful tool.
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”