Do TBFs ever use torpedoes...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

rockmedic109

Do TBFs ever use torpedoes...

Post by rockmedic109 »

Do TBFs ever use torpedoes on Port Attack? I am getting tired of dropping 500lb ping-pong balls on anchored Battleships.
castor troy

RE: Do TBFs ever use torpedoes...

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Do TBFs ever use torpedoes on Port Attack? I am getting tired of dropping 500lb ping-pong balls on anchored Battleships.

yes they do! It´s a die roll though. You can increase your chances by raising the detection level of ships in port. The more ships you spot the higher is the chance of using torps, at least that´s the rumor about it. Of course you have to make sure to be in torp range also, but I guess you are well aware of that.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Dice roll!  Story of my life!  They never seem to roll my way.

The DL should be very high.  Daily F-5A flights over Kwajalein.  Well within torp range.  Oh well, I am used to failing dice rolls {I once rolled 4 sixes in Star Fleet Battles with overloaded Photons at range 2 for those that have played SFB}. 
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I sent a Fed Dreadnaut vs. a B-10 once.

And only once...

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

And only once...

-F-
My mother hung me on a hook once...ONCE...
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

Ahh Yes SFB saved me many a night playing it while TDY at some forgotten place. So it was either drink or
play. We were throwing those dice hoping for the same sixes.

Funny when it came to crunch time I almost always missed.
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Go with the Lyran Dreadnought......Expanding Sphere Generators rock.

[:)]
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I'd love to see the Kates putting fish in the water on 12/7, just once.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Menser

Post by Menser »

500lb bomb? Thats funny ....I thought the Kates that didn't launch torps were dropping 800kg bombs (modified BB shells) at Pearl .....1760 lb bombs ...... more than enough penitration for the deck armor at 10,000 feet.
"Alea iacta est." Caius Julius
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." Emo Philips
"Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Abbot Arnaud Amalric
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Kates on port attack are equipped with plasma-R torps.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Enveloping -Rs.  At least I don't think the code sees a difference in all torps hitting one side versus half on one side and half hitting the opposite side.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Menser

500lb bomb? Thats funny ....I thought the Kates that didn't launch torps were dropping 800kg bombs (modified BB shells) at Pearl .....1760 lb bombs ...... more than enough penitration for the deck armor at 10,000 feet.

you are right, they do drop 800kg AP bombs, but rockmedic talks about US TBFs on port attack, they drop 500lb ! bombs on port attack if they don´t drop torps.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

ORIGINAL: Menser

you are right, they do drop 800kg AP bombs, but rockmedic talks about US TBFs on port attack, they drop 500lb ! bombs on port attack if they don´t drop torps.
Thanks Castor.

But if the target is a battleship {or even a CA}, those 500lb bombs might just as well be ping-pong balls or even cotton balls! Disgruntling to see 20+ hits on a battleship or cruiser and know that none of them penetrated. I can only hope that enough fires were created to be a problem.
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

A bomb hit is a bomb hit, even if it doesn't penetrate.  If those 20 500-er caused 10 sys dmg without endangering the ship (like a pair of torpedoes would have), this still is a worthy effect : the ship will need more repair time in a yard or other harbour.  If a ship is put out of commission for an extra month, it's as good as if it was sunk, during that month.  This means a little fewer threats at sea.  And until it falls back for repairs, it'll be a little less efficient & slower, and noticeably more visible ; and don't forget some weapon mounts could have been destroyed too.

Also, slower + more visible + less AA + extra sys dmg = much more vulnerable to naval attack if your enemy decides to leave the harbour.  If you have the means to stay in the area long enough, that is.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

And if the hit during a port attack that causes significant damage to the port, the port cannot repair it till the port itself is repaired {I think}.  Still a lot of worktrying to take the ship out with 500lbers.
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

ORIGINAL: Feinder

And only once...

-F-
My mother hung me on a hook once...ONCE...

You shouldn't kick me in the balls, Mrs. Kelly. My sister kicked me in the balls once . . .

Sorry could not help myself. I thought that my respect for you and all your work couldn't get higher, now you have quoted one of most favorite movies, fargin icehole!
Uamaga

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

And if the hit during a port attack that causes significant damage to the port, the port cannot repair it till the port itself is repaired {I think}.  Still a lot of worktrying to take the ship out with 500lbers.

Not quite. For repair purpose port size is scaled down by its damage. In Port size of 10 damaged in 50% ships will repair as if they were in Port size 5. Then any modifiers (4ARs or 2 AD/AS/AGPs or Naval HQ) can raise effective port level by (up to) 4.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I killed two Fed DN's with a B-10 in one game.  My friend charged me with both DN's side by side, I sideslipped and hit one in a flank shield with overloaded disruptors and phasers, with a follow up of drones.  The other one missed with its overloaded photons (he always used one dice roll for all of them, all hit or all miss), and the next turn I tore that one up too.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

My favorite battles in SFB were taking on a Klingon F5 with a Fed Police Cruiser.  Did it twice.  Won both.  Both were over 15 turns with a lot of maneuvering.  Both my opponets star castled and gave up the initiative. 
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

So was that a B-10 in Star Trek: Nemesis?

BTW, what is "star castled"?

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”