advice playing CSA

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

heroldje

advice playing CSA

Post by heroldje »

Well I think I've fairly mastered the game playing as union... so I've moved on to trying to play as teh CSA. Perhaps it is my innate unwillingness to lose... even slowly, but I'm finding it extremely difficult. I know that the CSA strategy is bend not break, so I think maybe I'm fighting too hard for each territory... but I keep finding myself quitting in late '62 because I have two armies knocking on richmond, an army on the coast pushing deep into the heart of the CSA.. although I can usually hold the western theatre to the tennesse border.

So my question is this: What is a solid opening strategy for the CSA? How do you prevent the juggernaut in the east from rolling up most of virginia? Its funny because when I play union every battle is very costly for me, my gunboats get torn to bits on the rivers... but now as the CSA, I take heavier casualties in every battle (despite better leaders AND forts), and my heavy artillery is getting torn to shreds by gunboats.

What am I missing?
JanSorensen

RE: advice playing CSA

Post by JanSorensen »

Against the AI (on hard) I pull back a region from the very start defending in Gordonsville and Richmond. This shortens the line and provides some prime defensive terrain. I would not do this against a human opponent though. I always, and I mean always scout every single region next to me in the east in particular to avoid a surprise attack in terms of unspotted enemies - and I try to shuffle as many of my own spotted units with unspotted rear area garrisons each turn. I dont defend Texas nor Florida (again, against the AI) instead
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I've experienced much the same thing playing the CSA. (How did Lee ever get past those Yankee hordes packed in forts to invade the North?) [:D]

I've gotten into the habit when playing the AI, of pretty much abandoning the trans-Mississippi altogether (Arkansas, Texas, western Louisiana) and transferring everything there of value east across the river before the Union splits the Confederacy in half. I'll try to hold the bridge at Vicksburg as long as possible but after that, if the Union AI wants to spend time and troops in it's many swamps and bayous battling the local militia that fine with me.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Bo, a couple of hints. Don't get in the habit to do anything the same. Every game is different. When you PBEM that will kill you. Secondly don't give up ground without the Union having to mass the troops to take it first. The key for the CSA is to buy time...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Oh, I wouldn't dare try this with a human opponent. He'd probably see right through it. However, the Confederacy does have a nasty fault line in the shape of the Mississippi. It's gonna be sundered in two sooner or later. I'd rather transfer resources to the more valuable half.  It's sorta of my radical interpretation of he who defends everything defends nothing. The nice part is the trans Mississippiis pretty difficult to conquer under any circumstances. Since ACs are busy elsewhere the Union rarely gets initiative there. Actually that goes for both sides. [:D]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”