WaW simple question

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

explorer2

WaW simple question

Post by explorer2 »

Is the only way to get the Japanese Major Offensive Card is when Germany declares war on Russia?
I can't seem to figure out the conditions of Japan being able to declare war on US. Playing Major Offensive Card seems to be only way, but I can't discover (other than Barbarosa) how to get that card. Thanks.
JAMiAM

RE: WaW simple question

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: explorer2

Is the only way to get the Japanese Major Offensive Card is when Germany declares war on Russia?
I can't seem to figure out the conditions of Japan being able to declare war on US. Playing Major Offensive Card seems to be only way, but I can't discover (other than Barbarosa) how to get that card. Thanks.
In earlier versions, you needed to play the Chinese Stalemate to receive the card. Now, in version 30, with the Japanese and Chinese starting in a stalemate, the card should be available from the start.
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

Thanks JAMiAM-

I'm playing v27, guess I need to upgrade.

Another question: Is there any way for Japan to declare war against the West (thus able to attack SEA, and/or Dutch East Indies, depending on what Germany has done) prior to using the Pacific Blitz card to activate US entry?
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Another question: Is there any way for Japan to declare war against the West (thus able to attack SEA, and/or Dutch East Indies, depending on what Germany has done) prior to using the Pacific Blitz card to activate US entry?
No.
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

Thanks for all these answers.
Next Question:
Factories: the .doc that comes with WaW says they cost 60pp and produce 2pp once made. But it also says they pay off after 15 turns. If 2pp/turn it would take 30 turns to pay off.
What am I missing here?
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

Wow, already a new question about factories: Just downloaded v30 and I see factories now cost 500 Engineer Points and 120 power points, quite an increase. How do you find out how many power points it will produce per turn? It seems like it would need to produce more than 2 or it would take 60 turns to pay off!
Clarification greatly appreciated.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Thanks for all these answers.
Next Question:
Factories: the .doc that comes with WaW says they cost 60pp and produce 2pp once made. But it also says they pay off after 15 turns. If 2pp/turn it would take 30 turns to pay off.
What am I missing here?
The briefing is a little out of date. First off, which version of WaW are you looking at? If it's before 30, then the factories cost 60 PP, produce 2000 pp, which corresponds to 4 PP, if all pp go to PP. Thus, a 15 round return on investment.

If you're playing 30, then the costs are increased. This version has costs of 120 PP, plus 1000 pp worth of supplies (500 supplies). Thus, a 30.5 round return on investment. While this may, at first blush, seem to be rather high, the 5 players each receive PP grants each turn, which reflect increasing industrialization and general technological advancement throughout the war. This offsets the PP cost significantly.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Here's a screenshot of the Excel file dealing with production changes to my mod, from which version 30 is borrowing from. Note that the resource hexes are not available in version 30, since Tom was working from an earlier version of my mod that did not yet have them included. I have the Excel file available to those who would like it for reference. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. Due to differences between my mod and Tom's version 30, not all items will be applicable, but for the production, found on sheet 3 of the file, it should be the same.

Attachments
WaWProduc..Changes.jpg
WaWProduc..Changes.jpg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 36 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

The resource hex comment in the above post was referencing this sheet.

Attachments
LocTypechanges.jpg
LocTypechanges.jpg (105.32 KiB) Viewed 37 times
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

Thanks for the detailed response JAMiAM. I hate it when I've put many hours of gameplay into a strategy and then discover it's not going to work because I didn't know something about the rules. These charts help me plan what I want to do.

I like the motivation behind increasing production (historical realism) but it seems the way it's being implemented reduces gameplay options. I'm not a modder, but I posted a possible alternative idea on the WaW v30 section.

Cheers!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”