Windows XP discontinued!!!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

pad152

Windows XP discontinued!!!

Post by pad152 »

Microsoft's will discontinue OEM and packaged sales of Windows XP at the end of June.

www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1 ... ;16;fpid;1

I hope every game company including Matrix will contact Microsoft about this! If I can't get Windows 2000 or Windows XP on my next PC, I will go with a Mac or Unix. All of my future pc game buying is now on hold (bye bye pc gaming!)
Grell

RE: Windows XP discontinued!!!

Post by Grell »

That really ticks me off. Microsoft is out of control with this Vista garbage.

Regards,

Grell
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Erm, we knew this already. They made that decision last year...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

How hard can it be to find a Windows XP box? I can still buy
Windows95 if I want.

This is not rare albums with Beatles we are talking about ;).
Deus Vult.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Windows XP has been the best and most stable operating system Microsoft has ever created, Vista like Windows ME is nothing but a headache, nobody seems be to able to create good stable drivers for it! Who wants to create software for an unstable platform, looks like Microsoft is going to kill off PC gaming once and for all.

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: pad152

Microsoft's will discontinue OEM and packaged sales of Windows XP at the end of June.

www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1 ... ;16;fpid;1

I hope every game company including Matrix will contact Microsoft about this! If I can't get Windows 2000 or Windows XP on my next PC, I will go with a Mac or Unix. All of my future pc game buying is now on hold (bye bye pc gaming!)

Does a MAC go through all this sh1t every few years ? Are Macs always backwards compatible ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

See this is what's wrong with someone having a monopoly of your gaming entertainment sewed up in the bag. All programmers and publishers are in Gates pocketessssss. lol You will buy his crappy products or you will not PC game it's as clear as mud. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Still don't understand what the fuss is all about. At some point all OS.s will be discontinued.
It's called a product cycle. XP has reached the end of that.

Now. If anyone wants to install XP Pro or Home they won't have any trouble finding one in the next 10 years or so.
If you still use XP in 10 years then you have issues ;).

Deus Vult.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I still use Win98 do I have issues? ;) Until DOSBOX came about Win98 was about as close as I could get to playing old DOS games with a little effort getting them to work. I still use Win98, but, not as often and nowadays it's more I need old video card hardware to get some of these just early 2000 games to run like Industry Giant and Panzer General Scorched Earth.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Microsoft responds to Save XP petition

Well, they didn't say "No"...

"Therefore OEMs will continue to sell XP through June 30th 2008 and system builders will be able to sell XP through January 2009 as they cater to the small business markets. In emerging markets where XP Starter Edition is sold, it will still be available through June 30th, 2010."

http://www.codeproject.com/News.aspx?nwid=5905
cuthbo2001

Post by cuthbo2001 »

See this is what's wrong with someone having a monopoly of your gaming entertainment sewed up in the bag. All programmers and publishers are in Gates pocketessssss. lol You will buy his crappy products or you will not PC game it's as clear as mud. ;)

Only one slight problem with this argument, macs have great OSs, but as far as I am aware there ain't any alternatives for mac. I agree microsoft wouldn't rank as my most favourite company ,but to say their shoddy work is due to a monopoly is letting them off too lightly.
GO LINUX
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I still use Win98 do I have issues? ;) Until DOSBOX came about Win98 was about as close as I could get to playing old DOS games with a little effort getting them to work. I still use Win98, but, not as often and nowadays it's more I need old video card hardware to get some of these just early 2000 games to run like Industry Giant and Panzer General Scorched Earth.

Well, at least it shows you can still get it. Though, compatibility mode solves those issues easily.
Deus Vult.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Does a MAC go through all this sh1t every few years ?

Yes.
Are Macs always backwards compatible ?

Almost never.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'm a little surprised that people were brain-dead enough to think Microsoft would care two tosses about any "petition". Idiots...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Does a MAC go through all this sh1t every few years ?

Yes.
Are Macs always backwards compatible ?

Almost never.

I'd vote all of Apple's marketing strategies the worst over Microsoft's any day. The fascist nazi pr!cks.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Still don't understand what the fuss is all about. At some point all OS.s will be discontinued.
It's called a product cycle. XP has reached the end of that.

Now. If anyone wants to install XP Pro or Home they won't have any trouble finding one in the next 10 years or so.
If you still use XP in 10 years then you have issues ;).

not unless the next few os' from microlimp make vista look like (insert own super duper definition here)
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Well it's either feed them the money or take a stand and refuse to buy any new OS products from either. The only problem is any new systems will come with the newest OS and forced on consumers. I see nothing wrong with WinXp and I see no need to upgrade? I haven't seen anything that Vista offers that is worth upgrading and starting all over again with yet another money grab from Microsoft. It's time to take a stand and just boycott. We as the consumers spoke out about the likes of Starfart and businesses listened. We're just going to have to do the same things with OS's.

Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

no you dont...at least in this department. can't vouch for anything else though!
i still have a system with win98 and a pure dos6.1 system with dual 320 mb hard drives and a whopping 16mb of ram...Take it out for a spin every so often.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I think they will learn their lessons with Windows 7.
Just like they learned from Windows ME.

There is a chance I will buy Leopard/MBP though. I simply
like that OS. Never had any real issues with Mac, just had to work with PCs.
Deus Vult.
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

Hello, 1st post!!!

IMO, Microsoft needs to kill off its 32-bit OSs, including Vista's 32bit versions, soon. We're reapidly approaching the 32bit OS 2GB per app/4GB total memory limitation. Certain games (like Supreme Commander) have already had problems/crashes due to it. Unless we want to repeat the "joyful" DOS years of 640K memory management, this switch should happen soon.

Return to “General Discussion”