British TV Viewers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

British TV Viewers

Post by JudgeDredd »

Sunday 19/11/2006 Channel 5 - A Bridge Too Far
Alba gu' brath
sterckxe

RE: British TV Viewers

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Sunday 19/11/2006 Channel 5 - A Bridge Too Far

And to be fully prepared for watching it : play Highway to the Reich

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=241

[ nice pass Billy, that was an easy goal to score [:D] ]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Anyone interested in this film, should be personally ashamed to not own it on dvd.

Come, the film is old, and not even remotely expensive :)

You should also own The Longest Day, or we are revoking your right to be termed a wargamer :)
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Anyone interested in this film, should be personally ashamed to not own it on dvd.

Hear, hear!! [:D]
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

You should also own The Longest Day, or we are revoking your right to be termed a wargamer :)

uh-oh - I'm in trouble - does being able to rent it at will also count ?[;)]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

you can buy the war series box set of The great escape / battle of britain / and bridge too far in ASDA right now for £15.  Put it on your Xmas list.

ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

15 pounds ehh? IIRC, wasn't that the same price as one Borat feature at the movie theatre there in Colchester? [:D]

Hey OT but do you guys call pounds quid for slang like we call dollars bucks?
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

Yes.
scott64

Post by scott64 »

Hey that movie was on this week end on AMC [8D]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

15 pounds ehh? IIRC, wasn't that the same price as one Borat feature at the movie theatre there in Colchester? [:D]

OUCH! That one hurt!!

For the most part, yes and quid is the correct slang, although, I guess like the US, there are varying slang depending on where you live.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Love you sig, Scott - the minesweeper bit.

How are the Denver Broncos doing? I know John Elway (the most profound "last minute turn around" Quarterback EVER) is retired, but does he still keep his hand in the game? Coach? Trainer? Broadcaster?
Alba gu' brath
martxyz

Post by martxyz »

If your going to watch A Bridge Too Far (yep- I do have the DVD) don't forget to be holding your special Arnhem Umbrella!!

If Horrocks really was anything like James Fox plays him (chaps), I think I'd want to kill the smarmy git myself! That really would give you something to tell your children about; hurrah!!

Incidentally, in Max Hastings' book "Armageddon", he reports that the intelligence officer, Captain John Killick, said "We call it Operation KCB" reflecting the view of the staff that the main aim of the whole thing was to get "Boy" Browning a Knighthood! (Which he got - along with the push!).

My brother-in-law is a memeber of the Arnhem Association. He and my sister regularly attend the annual gathering, and have had some really interesting contact with the residents and the ex-paras. They now have good friends in the area, as a result. As I recall (hazily), she told me that on one occasion she was pushing a veteran across the bridge in a wheelchair, and he said, humorously, something like, "the last time I actually walked across this bridge, the buggers were trying to kill me!" She's a bit of a physical wreck herself, though with a great sense of humour, so I imagine it was a fun crossing.

I think it's a great film so I hope everyone enjoys it. 

Martin [:)]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Lol, "A Bridge Too Far" is shown on the AMC channel here religiously. I think at least once a week lol. Veterans day is always a large selection of WW2 movies as well. TCM also does this. And late at night around 12 channel 30 shows old "Combat" series show. Now, those are olddddd. Now all I need back is "Rat Patrol". ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Combat!

Damn, I grew up with that. With Col Saunders? I loved that series!! Can't get a hold of it for love nor money, though.
Alba gu' brath
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Combat.. sigh I grew up with that too, but I think it was Sergeant Saunders.   

I cant remember anything else about it.. sadly and what I do remember is probably wrong [:(]

Its Old age yoo know [:D]

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!
martxyz

Post by martxyz »

Combat - Wasn't that the series with Vic Morrow? If so, I really loved it too, but it was so long ago, all I seem to remember is vague images of them always walking along a road, and then diving for cover.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I own the first 3 seasons of Combat and 1 season of Rat Patrol :)

I love old shows :)
hank

Post by hank »

I have it. IMHO one of the best war movies made at that time. Most of the equipment at least looks authentic. I watched it three times this weekend.

... and I have "The Longest Day", "Kelly's Heroes", "The Great Escape", and on and on and on and on. ... most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies.

I'm looking for two now I can't find at a store (I've seen them on the web for sale) ... Halls of Montezuma (richard widmark i think) and The Sand Pebbles.

ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

I'm looking for two now I can't find at a store (I've seen them on the web for sale) ... Halls of Montezuma (richard widmark i think) and The Sand Pebbles.

The Sand Pebbles is a fantastic film! I am not sure why it won so many nominations back in the '60's but, anybody who wants some good insights into the Pacific prior to WWII this is your film. I think Candice Bergen is now older than Steve McQueen was in that film. Hank I am sure you could find it on Amazon.
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Les_the_Sarge_9_1

ORIGINAL: hank

I have it. IMHO one of the best war movies made at that time. Most of the equipment at least looks authentic. I watched it three times this weekend.

... and I have "The Longest Day", "Kelly's Heroes", "The Great Escape", and on and on and on and on. ... most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies.

"most likely, I have ~2 dozen good ole' war movies" :)

Hehe, ok sorry shouldn't laugh I guess. I'm not sure how many war movies I have actually. Those two titles you need are fairly common though. Have you checked yer local Walmart? Halls of Montezuma seems popular in display stands around here at least.
I've seen it on dozens of displays near cashouts.

The only films I find challenging, are usually the old ones though. They just don't seem to interest any place that focuses on mainstream new releases.

One hot tip for collectors though, is look into a business like Zipem (Canada) or Netflix (USA). They often do retail as well as rental. And their inventories are often immense.

Return to “General Discussion”