Galactopedia

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Darkspire

Galactopedia

Post by Darkspire »

First off, sorry for the long post, but it was kind of amusing from this end [:D]

For those who remember I had a real problem before my latest build of PC, I couldn't get the Galactopedia to show pages in game. Mr Data helped a great deal with the problem but unfortunately it was never resolved so I started writing it by hand from the files in the help folder in HTML. Well after doing quite a few pages I suddenly realised that ALT+TAB doesn't work with DW, even on my new machine build it has problems, also Legends was released and as I could only just run DW+ROTS and I didn't have access to the new help files I put the re-write of the Galactopedia on the backburner. I have only one drive on this new build and its only 160gb so I have 8 IDE drives I access from a drive caddy (yes it really does look like a Jon Pertwee / Dr Who lab setup [:D] ) and I was going through old projects and as I had recently got Legends and I could access the Galctopedia from within game, I thought Id have a look at the code again and i had a light bulb moment, well sort of, I got all my old code to work with the Galctopedia in game, but the problem is to mimic it out of game I used frames ... My Index works for the files I have written and the index on the right (original) works for the original Galctopedia files, not sure where I can go from this, I have re-written about 60% of the help files, I could update what ive done and bring the current Galactopedia up to date, lose the frames and just have it as a mod? Like the 'total conversion' mods to sound and GFX but mine would do the Galactopedia. I think I have the time to start doing it, I have a few other things on the go but I would look into it if there is enough interest.

Darkspire

Original
Mod
Mod
Mod
Bingeling

RE: Galactopedia

Post by Bingeling »

I am quite sure I run DW in a maximised windowed mode, and can change around tabs freely. I just shot down that computer, though. I run on a computer with two screen, and have no issue putting up another window on either of them.

As for the galactopedia. I check the race description of my race if I start a random game and need some behavior inspiration. And I think maybe the component details are from there when accesses from within the game. Apart from that, nah...
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

I may sound stupid, but are saying you can make the Galactopedia work with frames outside of the game? Or are you tlaking about making the Galactopedia easier to edit for those making mods? Or just updating the Galactopedia with more current information?
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

I don't know if you'd find this helpful, but several of us here have been building content for a Distant Worlds Wiki. One part of the wiki that I've been working on is making a replica of the Galactopedia. Perhaps you could use that. Also, I sure could use help moving data from the Galactopedia's .mht files to the wiki if you'd like to participate.

EDIT: Just re-read your original post and realized you're offering to make a mod that offers an improved Galactopedia for use in-game. That certainly sounds interesting, but I'd personally rather see your efforts directed to adding content to the Distant Worlds Wiki I mention above. The wiki isn't available in-game, but the nice part is that it can be edited by multiple people thus increasing the odds of getting more up-to-date, complete, and accurate content than a single-editor could provide with a mod.

TL;DR: Much rather have your help with the Distant Worlds Wiki, Darkspire!
Bryan H. Bell
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Darkspire,

great idea,

If you feel that it would help players and not tax your time I am all for it.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

I may sound stupid, but are saying you can make the Galactopedia work with frames outside of the game? Or are you tlaking about making the Galactopedia easier to edit for those making mods? Or just updating the Galactopedia with more current information?

Yes I can run it outside the game, all the files are the same extracted from the MHT file in the help folder, I havent a clue about XML or how you do those folder type effects that are used in the original Galactopedia index ingame so I re-wrote it in HTML with frames and color. The reson I gave up is you cant ALT+TAB to desktop whilst DW is running so it kind of lost its use. The tools took me a long time to find, they are free, and you would have to know the basics of HTML to redo the files but its nothing clever in what ive done, Ive just cut and pasted the page text with a header and the correct parsing for the layout, images and obviously the frame set up. So it isnt that hard to follow what ive done so others could add there own pages for the any races etc they have added. It has been possible to do this in Word but I unfortunately have a very old version '97 and cant really afford a more up to date version, and the only version that deals with MHT files is 2000 and you need the add on for it which is nowhere to be found so this is the only way I know to edit them. So yes to making it easier to edit, so yes again to updating it as well.

Galactopedia in IE8
ORIGINAL: bryanhbell

I don't know if you'd find this helpful, but several of us here have been building content for a Distant Worlds Wiki. One part of the wiki that I've been working on is making a replica of the Galactopedia. Perhaps you could use that. Also, I sure could use help moving data from the Galactopedia's .mht files to the wiki if you'd like to participate.

EDIT: Just re-read your original post and realized you're offering to make a mod that offers an improved Galactopedia for use in-game. That certainly sounds interesting, but I'd personally rather see your efforts directed to adding content to the Distant Worlds Wiki I mention above. The wiki isn't available in-game, but the nice part is that it can be edited by multiple people thus increasing the odds of getting more up-to-date, complete, and accurate content than a single-editor could provide with a mod.

TL;DR: Much rather have your help with the Distant Worlds Wiki, Darkspire!

Id like to help but for the resons above, like DW not working to well when switching to desktop, it would be, as above a lost cause in the Galactopedia dept, it would just be great to have, for example some of the posts on here, like the ones about the game structure, breakdowns of how things work to be in-game and easy to access, for me anyway, im old and the memory goes wonky, it just makes more sense to keep it in game.

Anyway Ill have a look at what needs to be changed, for one it will be easier as Ill just need to replace pages and not have to work frames for related and the index [:)]

Darkspire
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

There might be an issue with your system. I alt-tab all the time and have no problems with Distant Worlds crashing, hanging, or slowing down. But I do have a lot of RAM and my system is highly overclocked.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

There might be an issue with your system. I alt-tab all the time and have no problems with Distant Worlds crashing, hanging, or slowing down. But I do have a lot of RAM and my system is highly overclocked.

I was on a single core AMD 1800 with 512mb [:(] running DW+ROTS, Im now on a dual core Intel 2.20 with 4gb [:'(] ok im on XP 32bit so I lose a gig but I know its in there I can switch to desktop but when I go back to the game all the text has lost position, like the mouse over text, apart from that its fine. On the old machine it struggled to say the least!! I just look at it like anothe quirk DW has, its not a gamebreaker for me. think its the only game ive got that I have problems with in that respect, for example X3 Terran Conflict, I can flick and not even know its running and flick back without any problems, ok its a 3d app and DW is 2d but you can see what im saying.

Darkspire
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

I also don't have any problem switching in/out of Distant Worlds. Sounds like your problem might be due to your video card (or its drivers). You might want to see if there is an update available for your video card's drivers. It's also possible that there's an issue between Distant Worlds and XP. XP is a pretty old OS now and doesn't always behave well with modern games. Your system as you described it should be able to handle Windows 7 just fine so you might want to consider upgrading. At any rate, your switching problem is likely a solvable one. You shouldn't have to put up with it.
Bryan H. Bell
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell

I also don't have any problem switching in/out of Distant Worlds. Sounds like your problem might be due to your video card (or its drivers). You might want to see if there is an update available for your video card's drivers. It's also possible that there's an issue between Distant Worlds and XP. XP is a pretty old OS now and doesn't always behave well with modern games. Your system as you described it should be able to handle Windows 7 just fine so you might want to consider upgrading. At any rate, your switching problem is likely a solvable one. You shouldn't have to put up with it.

That's EXACTLY what I was going to post. It's a video card/driver issue, not the game. Darkspire - if you can, you really need to go to Windows 7 x64. Going from 3 - 4 Gig is a big deal for games and WinXP will not be updated past Christmas anyways so it will be security nightmare.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”