Changing the AI first turn?

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

Daveion Steel

Changing the AI first turn?

Post by Daveion Steel »

As the title says, how do I make my own script for the Axis AI first turn?

I know it is here somewhere as I have read it once before but I just cannot seem to find the thread right now.

It is most likely looking right back at me but I cannot see it for looking! anyone have a link?

D...
bcgames

RE: Changing the AI first turn?

Post by bcgames »

Editor Manual, Page 47:

4.14. SCRIPTING THE AI
Scenario designers can employ AI scripts in their scenarios that will tell the computer-controlled units where to move or make offensive thrusts. You record them by playing your scenario in human-versus-human mode. Here’s how to do it. Open up your scenario as a human versus human game and then play the first side’s turn like you would want the AI to do it. The game will automatically track your moves and attacks as a script. Once the turn is ended, select the end turn button and save the game. The game saves the scripting information in its own file (scriptRec.dat) in the Dat folder of the GGWITE game directory. Now exit out of your game, open up the editor and load your scenario. Go to the MAIN tab and select ‘Load Recorded Script’. The editor will automatically load the script that you just generated.

IMPORTANT NOTE: GGWITE only saves the scriptRec.dat file for the latest turn you’ve played; you need to immediately go into the editor to input the script file. If you don’t, the scriptRec.dat file will get overwritten the next time you save a game turn.

Save the scenario in the editor and then run the scenario as a game and see if the AI script works out to your satisfaction. If it does not, note what you want to improve and then play the scenario again as a game to correct the deficiencies. Repeat this process until you are satisfied with the performance of the AI in your scenario.
Daveion Steel

Post by Daveion Steel »

Thanks very much Bcg, I did actually find it shortly after posting but got carried away testing and playing and then got called into work etc.

D...

[:)]
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

So even with this feature the AI can't be made to take Riga on Turn 1 etc?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

The 1st turn in Grand Campaign 1941-1945 is scripted - we told you that on several occasions guys... [:D]

This was done by one of the very best WitE ALPHA/BETA grandmaster players (for both sides) - our Andy "Sabre21" after several weeks of hard work (remember that AI script must work for various difficulty settings)! [:)]

BTW, one can try creating his very own AI script (there is info about it in manual) and try beating the current AI opening!

So... why not create you very own great AI script that takes Riga on 1st turn and does the Lvov pocket... [;)]

If it is good we can retrofit it into official WitE with some future update... [8D]

Leo "APollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
AFV

Post by AFV »

Apollo, I think that was Red's point, it seems like with this feature, a script could be made that would outperform the current one (no offense to anyone intended), and be incorporated into the game. We all know that the first turn is scripted.
Certainly, at least the opening in the south appears weak.
I might try my hand at making my own script, it sounds challenging, but not sure I want to spend a lot of time at it (kinda why I paid money for the game, so someone else could build it!).
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The AI script cannot react to setbacks when executing like a human player would. If a reserve unit comes in at the wrong time, it can destroy an attack. For the human player he'll find a way around it, but for the AI script this is a serious problem. The AI is probably not capable of making a Lvov pocket opening and holding the pocket closed, not without a play level advantage, which we cannot count on when building the script. It's not as easy as you might think. Of course, you're free to try to improve things. As for Riga, it was never considered an important target on turn 1, at least not for the AI.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: AFV

Apollo, I think that was Red's point, it seems like with this feature, a script could be made that would outperform the current one (no offense to anyone intended), and be incorporated into the game. We all know that the first turn is scripted.
Certainly, at least the opening in the south appears weak.
I might try my hand at making my own script, it sounds challenging, but not sure I want to spend a lot of time at it (kinda why I paid money for the game, so someone else could build it!).

The AI opening in the south is a joke. So, either the AI script wasn't properly developed, or the feature for creating a scripted AI first turn doesn't work very well.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I should script my own AI first turn if I'm not happy with the one present in the game I paid for??? Do I hear you correctly?

I'm waiting to hear my garage tell me, "Sir, if you don't like the way we tuned your engine, we suggest you go tune it yourself." LOL
alexrain

Post by alexrain »

how do I open the scriptrec.dat? What language and file format is it????

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”