German garrison requirement for polen?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: doomtrader

wolf14455

German garrison requirement for polen?

Post by wolf14455 »

Does the Russian AI check for forces in German occupied poland to decide to attack early or not?
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
JLPOWELL

RE: German garrison requirement for polen?

Post by JLPOWELL »

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Does the Russian AI check for forces in German occupied poland to decide to attack early or not?
It does not appear to I have left Poland wide open and not been attacked and once I got attacked just as getting set up to attack USSR with massive build up in place LOL. (game was GC set to Hard on all axis and easy on all Allies/USSR which may have made AI more agressive but Doubt it). My sample is pretty small just a few games is hard to tell if there is a 'loading' based on the situation or its totally random. (My guess is totally random) AI is hardest to program and will be weakest element of the game for the foreseeable future.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Stalin was not prepared to start a war with Hitler.

There is no way he would have made the first move.

Remember, any who disagreed with him was in Siberian prison camps or dead in the ground.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

We were talking about the ToF AI however which as USSR will attack GE (I think there is a glitch with the Romanian Event).

As to what Stalin or other leaders 'might' do I don't think there are any absolutes. A psychopath dictator is likely to do all kinds of irrational things. Saddam Hussein faced with overwhelming odds and having been 'schooled' in Gulf War One most likely actually believed he could prevail in 2003 (you got to wonder what he was smoking...) The arguably less irrational Japanese government attacked the US in the face of intelligence estimates (military and economic) which accurately predicted the resulting catastrophe.

There were Colossal blunders made by the actual leaders during WWII. Some took wild gambles (mostly Hitler) many of which paid off with luck a significant factor (some didn't) And like the more recent example of Saddam Hussein, Stalin and Hitler were particularly insulated from 'reality' there is no telling what they 'might' do. All three were lousy military commanders. Stalin and Hitler were particularly wasteful imposing tactically or operationally ridiculous 'no retreat' orders which seriously degraded military effectiveness.

Not to leave out the democracies (allied and neutral) There are a few choice examples.
French and British handling of the German invasion slow and insufficient buildup of defense. Allied movement into Belgium. You could argue the Allies errors had more effect than 'brilliant' German attack. The fall of France was not a 'forgone' conclusion but the synergy of an attack plan which was nearly not adopted. This was largely crafted by a (then) junior Mainstein who was not even given a significant role in its execution) and an allied response which played directly into the both the German strengths and to the plan of attack they used.

A real whopper is the monumental defense blunders made by Norway and a nearly complete lack of preparation. They were essentially conquered by a battalion of airborne troops. Just a bit more mobilization and military alert based on Germany's behavior would not have been a huge stretch and the 'thought' to guard the airfields and ports and the German invasion would not have had much chance (as implemented a larger one would have had to achieve total surprise and the Germans really didn't have the logistical capability to do much more than they did.

Time of Fury is an 'alternate history' game so the players need to have the flexibility to try what they 'think' will work. On my complaints about ToF is the overuse of 'events' These scripted events attempt to force the historical time line and in some cases make sense, but many others simply don't reflect at all the different way things are 'playing out'.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

I played 2 games as far summer -40 and both times russia attack, they still in war with Finland I still got troops in france waiting for Vichy event to trigger.
As such I worry that all the Barbarossa events made for the campaign are in void. Only way to play barbarossa is to play the scenario. I like the game but not even have a chance to finnish of France before the ruskies come makes me thinking of risk. I was cheating in my second play to figure out 2 things. If russia attack even if I got full complement of troops in the east. They attacked me in August -40 And they are not winning a single hex from me.

The other is the air combat mystery. I doubled my airforce and tried to owherwhelm the allies with first recon then airbase attacks. It seams that a single fighter unit can intercept all turn and hinder my airforce to see their bases. Is it wad that a single fighter get full intercept capacity indefinetly?

As 50% is the limit when they cant anymore, do I need buy strat bomber to get down their numbers with defence fire to win the airwar?
The most extreme case was England defended a turn with one lvl 1 fighter intercepted over 10 recon before I got thrue. Losing at least 10 fighter points before I could start bomb.

So cheating didnt help in the air war and didnt stop russia AI to attack in -40.
SwedeWolf

Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

There is a patch for the Russian war before 1940.

I've never seen what your are implying for air power.

The AI has always had a few fighters. They don't have to be close to where you are reconnoitering in order to intercept. Each fighter can intercept 3 times.
If what you say is true it is a bug.

You don't need to see what you are bombing in order to use a strategic bomber. Just bomb the red hex you see.

You can not stop a plane from intercepting if it is in range. The only way to stop an interception is to kill all the fighters.

So, just click on the target and hope that the interception failed so you can bomb the city.
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

With strat bomber I meant that usually damage intercepters and I read somewhere that fighters cant intercept with strenghts under 5. So to hinder a fighter that intercept more than 3 times I need deplete it first and strat seams to be the only airunit able to damage intercepters. Where in the manual it says 3 intercept per fighter?

Where can I find the russia patch ?

Thanx for repl. [:)]

SwedeWolf

halus

Post by halus »

ORIGINAL: Razz

Stalin was not prepared to start a war with Hitler.

There is no way he would have made the first move.

Remember, any who disagreed with him was in Siberian prison camps or dead in the ground.

Actually there was a book written back in the late 80's that had much evidence stating that Russia was preparing to attack westwards, just not as early as portrayed in this game. Been a few decades since I've read it, but one of the arguing facts was the number of large pockets of Russian troops captured during the initial German offensive. These troops had little if any defensive preparations and seemed more to be in the stance of a staging area for an offensive themselves.

http://ihr.org/jhr/v08/v08p222_Smith.html
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

I agree, he was preparing but not ready.

Fighters have 3 Action Points, hence 3x intercept.

Return to “The War Room”