Good Resource For This Period

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
Missouri_Rebel

Good Resource For This Period

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I bought the game without any understanding of the Roman Republic/Empire merely for a change in pace from the norm i.e. WWII. My problem is I don't know anything about the era or wars. Does anyone have a comprehensive site that would help, especially with Caesars War?

TIA

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
wodin

RE: Good Resource For This Period

Post by wodin »

Same as myslef..so far I've found reading the AAR's the most helpful. I think actually my lack of knowledge helps in away as I can't notice any no historical elements..so my ignorance here helps in immersion! Were with WW1 and 2 it stands out a mile.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I think this guy might be able to help.

Seems Like A Nice Guy
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

Most of my resources come from books . Notably Adrian Goldsworthy and Graham Webster have excellent books that cover the Roman military of the time period covered by AJE.

This site Roman Empire gives a pretty quick overview of Roman history. For example if you want to find out why Vitellius has such a poor rating in the game. He really was a glutton! [X(]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Excellent OldSarge. Just the kind of stuff I am looking for.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

MoReb: How do you like the game so far? [&:]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well I have just scratched the surface really. All outward appearances indicate that it is a good product in tradition with many of Ageods games. Map is simply stunning, as one would expect. Is there another game company with such beautiful maps? I'd wager to say not. I can't speak for the gameplay because I have been taking some time to read up on the time period. I expect it to play as their other titles do, but the under represented wars have my interest stoked.

Quick, painless purchase with a great dl speed. At 24 bucks, how could you go wrong? I put that in my gas tank almost daily just to go to the hell I call work.

Larry, you know you are going to buy it. Such is our sickness. Might as well pull the trigger now and save yourself the aggravation.

mo reb
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Well I have just scratched the surface really. All outward appearances indicate that it is a good product in tradition with many of Ageods games. Map is simply stunning, as one would expect. Is there another game company with such beautiful maps? I'd wager to say not. I can't speak for the gameplay because I have been taking some time to read up on the time period. I expect it to play as their other titles do, but the under represented wars have my interest stoked.

Quick, painless purchase with a great dl speed. At 24 bucks, how could you go wrong? I put that in my gas tank almost daily just to go to the hell I call work.

Larry, you know you are going to buy it. Such is our sickness. Might as well pull the trigger now and save yourself the aggravation.

mo reb

Ah, I used to be a purchase nut but since we got out of all debt, my ways have changed. It's funny, now that I can actually afford to buy more games, I buy less now. Don't want to get back into debt.

I see you had the game lockup on you in the tech section. [:@]
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

mo reb

Ah, I used to be a purchase nut but since we got out of all debt, my ways have changed. It's funny, now that I can actually afford to buy more games, I buy less now. Don't want to get back into debt.

I see you had the game lockup on you in the tech section. [:@]

Seems to me your trying to justify why not to buy it..no one is forcing you..plenty of other games to see and play mate. If everyone perused the tech forums to see whether they should buy a game or not they'd never buy a game ever...
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I think you are reading too much into my post. I didn't know the tech forums were off limits.

If you must know, my PC specs are very similar to the specs MoReb posted in the tech forum. I also have had lockups with AGEOD games in the past. Now if I chose to ignore his post, then that to me would be foolish.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I changed some settings in the options and so far I have had no more problems.

But lookey, a demo has been released.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”