Distant World under RAM Disk

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

AminMaalouf

Distant World under RAM Disk

Post by AminMaalouf »

Has anyone tried it out and can tell how we can best mount DW on a RAM disk?

WiZz

RE: Distant World under RAM Disk

Post by WiZz »

I had tried, but didn't see significant boost of performance.
You just need to move DW folder on ram-disk and launch.
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

Thanks, I'll try it.

I have thought about using a tool to create junctions between the HDD install and the RAM disk but I first need to get behind how to use the tool correctly.

Registered55

Post by Registered55 »

you won't see any improvement.... DW isn't I/O intensive, it uses dotnetframework very heavily, and that is what gets initialized upon starting DW....

dotnetframework 4.5 is due out soon, hopefully that may bring some more enhancements that DW developers can utilize (although DW still only needs 3.5 at the moment if i recall correctly) however DW will probably need small rewrites in certain areas of code to take full advantage of these enhancements i would imagine, without that only very minor speed improvements can be expected from more later versions of dotnet.

we will know if DW takes advantage of new versions of dotnet, because DW will suddenly need later version of dotnet..... still hasn't happened yet, but in fairness, it takes time to learn new abilities within programming foundations, and even longer to put those new found abilities into one's project, I've been hoping for quite sometime now that DW will need dotnetframework version 4 minimum.... but still hasn't happened yet!

AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

I run DW now under Primo and I can confirm that what has been said. The good is that it won't "run away" like Hoi3. ;)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”