AAR my Rebels against Pionpion's Yanks

Please post your after action reports on your battles and campaigns here.
kennonlightfoot

Re: AAR my Rebels against Pionpion's Yanks

Post by kennonlightfoot »

Turn 54 Oct 4th, 1862

RP: Union made multiple attacks along the Kentucky line but no serious damage.
Only one Marine left in Texas. It will probably get away next turn.

Reinf: 2 Inf. Div. and 1 Cav. Div. All sent to Tennessee.

Reports: Mex: 23/20, UK 24, Fr 27, Sp 30. Land: 91/98. Navy: 27/15.
Convoy: 360 (80 stopped). MPP: 1340/1250. FS: 90/96.

In Kentucky was able to kill a division but no real change in the lines.

In Virginia also killed a division. But now most of their line isn't in contact with me which will make it difficult to get good odds except on the part near Manassas.
Turn 54 Va.jpg
Turn 54 Va.jpg (427.62 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Research: At max.
Purchases: Inf. Corps

ET
Developed Industrial Tech Level 3.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 56 Oct 26th, 1862.

RP: Union killed one of my Corps in Virginia. At least he was in good supply for quick return.
Last of the Union's marines in Texas left.

Reinf: Cav. Div and Inf. Div, both go to Virginia.

Reports: Mex: 23/20, UK 24, Fr 29, Sp 31. Land: 90/99. Navy: 27/15.
Convoy: 310 (40 stopped), MPP: 1340/1280. FS: 88/96.

Stalemate in Arizona. Neither of us have strong enough units to damage the other.

In Indian Territory my Indian allies took Tulusi killing the Regiment there. It looks like I have superior forces along this portion of the Far West so will start moving north to see if the Union is really as weak as it looks.
Turn 56 Ark.jpg
Turn 56 Ark.jpg (219.21 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
In Virginia my line drives back a number of units and reduces some others. I suspect they are reforming their line in the hex line I marked in red. Probably trying to get me to advance so I won't have the benefit of entrenchment when they mass an attack.
Turn 56 Va.jpg
Turn 56 Va.jpg (316.88 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Research: Chit to Industrial Tech.

Purchases: Corps and Inf. Div.

ET
Taking Tulusi apparently liberated the Creek Indians.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 58 Nov 11, 1862.

RP: Union killed a division in Glasgow, Ky. Changes hands again.
Union marines that were in Texas are now in Apalachicola, Fl along with Gen. Reynolds.

Reinf: Ironclad to Mobile and one to Charleston.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 26, Fr 31, Sp 31. Land: 88/98. Navy: 28/17.
Convoy: 300 (60 stopped). MPP: 1250/1270. FS: 86/94.

Mostly attrition along the lines in my turn. I was able to kill a Brigade in W. Va and a division in the Va. Line.
Otherwise, mostly restoring units to full strength and doing Upgrades.

The Kentucky line is getting stronger, but the Union still has to troop masses capable of stronger counter attacks if I advance any.
Turn 58 Ky.jpg
Turn 58 Ky.jpg (393.06 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Research: Maxed.
Purchased: Inf. Div.

Looks like I have built a lead of 12 land units and only lagging navy wise b 11 units. But the game only counts units not their strength. So, it is difficult to say if that is meaningful without knowing the ratio of Corps/Division/Brigades. I may just have more Regiments and Brigades in my mix.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 60 Dec 9, 1862.

RP: Union destroyed Ft. Gadsden and continues their northward march through Florida. Looks like they are serious so I will have to move some troops down there.

Reinf: Corps to Nashville and Monitor to Jacksonville.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 29, Fr 31, Sp 32. Land: 99/98. Navy: 29/18.
Convoy: 320 (50 stopped). MPP: 1480/1280. FS: 85/94.

In Virginia killed a division and a brigade. But as expected their line has drawn back so there is little contact.
For those wondering how land combat works and haven't watch this guide, it is well worth while?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhw04i27WM
Turn 60 Va.jpg
Turn 60 Va.jpg (328.91 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
In Kentucky I am mostly trying to rebuild and upgrade my units. Takes a lot of MPP.

Further west I Gen. A.S. Johnston send troops across the Mississippi to put pressure on the Missouri side and Cairo. See how the Union reacts to that.
Turn 60 MO.jpg
Turn 60 MO.jpg (371.73 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Purchase: Cav. Div. and Siege Artillery.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 62 Dec 31, 1862

The second year of the war ends so we will take a look at some graphs.

RP: Union skirmished along most of the lines but no major offensives there.
Fort Jackson at the mouth of the Mississippi was destroyed.
Glasglow, Ky changes hands again.

Reinf: Corps and Inf. Div. at Nashville. 2 Corps go to Richmond.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 32, Fr 32, Sp 32. Land: 94/102. Navy: 30/18.
Convoy: 340 (40 stopped), MPP: 1480/1320. FS: 85/94.

Seems the Union has pulled back some of their blockaders. Only 40 MPP stopped. I have no idea why. From what I can see they have concentrated all their ships on just the Wilmington convoys.

Union for the most part has pulled back their line in Northern Virginia. So little contact there now except around Alexandria and the Valley.

My crossing the Mississippi to attack through Missouri doesn't seem to be doing much. Looks like they are finding troops to reinforce the area.

Along the Kentucky line I killed a division near Hopkinsville and another near Bowling Green. Also, some attrition attacks to weaken their line. These attacks look like they are helping bring down the Union Fighting Spirit which now is at 85%.

The CSS Virginia attacks the Union Ship of the Line doing blockade duty for a hit of 6 points. Demonstrating that SL units aren't worth much.

Research: No new chits placed.

Purchase: Creek Indians, Cav. Div. and Siege Art.

ET
Cav Equipment gets level 1 and Corps Organization goes to Level 3.

Now for some charts.

Here is the CSA MPP. So far, I am holding up well on Collected income. I have been able to keep it around the 1260 line for the last year. But as the red (Lost Units) line shows combat has heated up since mid year.
Turn 62 CMPP.jpg
Turn 62 CMPP.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
The Union has also been able to maintain a steady income just below 1350. But that is only 200 points above my average. However, in the last month it took a jump up. I assume this reflects a leveling up in Production Research. If they can turn that into a combat advantage 1863 will be a tougher year.
Turn 62 UMPP.jpg
Turn 62 UMPP.jpg (127.44 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
But what will be saving me from the production might of the North will be foreign help. As the Convoy plots show. The Union blockade is weakening, and my Convoy Income is turning back up. With the arrival of three Ironclads very soon, I hope to break the blockade.
Turn 62 Con.jpg
Turn 62 Con.jpg (92.76 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Kennon
redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

It seems that either you have come up with an ingenious CSA naval strategy to protect your convoys or your opponent doesn't really understand how to shut down your convoy income. That clearly is the major difference in this game compared to most other games I've seen.
kennonlightfoot

redrum68 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 pm It seems that either you have come up with an ingenious CSA naval strategy to protect your convoys or your opponent doesn't really understand how to shut down your convoy income. That clearly is the major difference in this game compared to most other games I've seen.
Neither of us are all that good at this game. Just look at my Union AAR. :( This AAR is very much a learning experience. He did make mistakes with use of the Navy early on that cost him achieving control of the coasts. One being not turning on "Raider" mode. Also, playing the AI gives you a very warped idea of how to fight ships. AI is easily beaten at sea.

But he corrected his earlier mistakes on blockading and got the blockade runner intercepts to where up to 80 MPP were stopped. For some reason it is going down again. I suspect he hasn't realized that all the red convoy lines need Raiders on them to get high blockage numbers.

But the more effective method of shutting down foreign aid is to take Ports. I suspect that is no longer possible for the Union since they are now on the defensive. My Ironclad advantage will make blockading difficult from here on and it takes a long time to build Ironclads if he hadn't started much earlier.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 64 Feb 11, 1863.

RP: First turn of the new year. Whole bunch of Union monitors around Norfolk.
The Union Marines that moved to Apalachicola from Texas seem to have decided to move north and bring the fight to where they are. The invasion of Florida.
Ft. Preston is destroyed.

Reinf: Inf. Div. to Savannah in response to Florida invasion.
Ironclad to Charleston. Another Inf. Div. to Memphis and a Corps to Nashville.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 35, Fr 32, Sp 33. Land: 94/106. Navy: 30/19.
Convoy: 360 (25 Stopped). MPP: 1490/1340. FS: 82/94.

My land unit advantage keeps increasing. This is probably because I have pretty high MPP level with less extraneous things to speed it on. But the critical thing is the steady decline of the Union Fighting Spirit. A trend that will be hard to stop if it passes the 75% mark.

I send one of the Divisions at Savannah to Thomasville to meet the Marine invasion. Also, send by rail a brigade from Virginia.

In the West spend my remaining MPP's upgrading Cavalry units and my line in Kentucky.

A Monitor I stationed in Jacksonville sinks a Union Frigate which will probably break the blockade of that port.

Research: Not enough MPP left to do anything (Rail movement eats up a lot of MPP).
Purchase: Inf. Corps.

ET
Leadship level increases to 2.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 66 Mar 25, 1863.

RP: Union gunboats try to make their way to New Orleans with multiple attacks on my River boats.
In Florida the Marines continue their advance northward.
In West Viriginia the Union finally kills another Partisan and retakes Charleston.

Reinf: Siege Artillery to Richmond, Cav. Div. to Savannah to help out against Florida invasion.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 37, Fr 34, Sp 33. Land: 96/107. Navy: 32/19.
Convoy: 360 (30 stopped). MPP: 1500/1340. FS: 81/95.

In Kentucky mostly minor attacks but did kill a Division at Princeton.
In far West killed a Ranger at Carthage and advanced in Western Missouri.
Turn 66 MO.jpg
Turn 66 MO.jpg (383.78 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
In Florida my division and brigade counter attacked their advance but failed to get a kill.
ET
Turn 66 Fl.jpg
Turn 66 Fl.jpg (354.89 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
My movement into eastern Missouri (crossing the Mississippi) seems to be going nowhere. Looks like the Union has moved a Corps up to support Cairo.
Turn 66 NM.jpg
Turn 66 NM.jpg (384.99 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Rebuilding units and upgrades along with some rail movement used up all my MPP, so no Research or Purchases.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 68 Apr 16, 1863.

RP: Cairo now has a Corps in it. Union killed a division in Kentucky and a brigade in the Valley.
Union force in Florida take Tallahassee lowering my FS.

Reinf: Siege Art to Richmond, Cav. Div. to Richmond. Creek Indians to Indian Territory.

Reports: Mex 23/20. UK 34, Fr 34, Sp 36. Land: 97/108. Navy: 32/19.

In Kentucky I am able to kill 2 Divisions.
Ft. Pulaski garrison is reduced to a 4.
I was able to kill a Gunboat in mouth of Mississippi.
In Virginia my forces advance into Alexandria but won't be able to hold it. Unit just a weak Brigade.
Turn 68 Va.jpg
Turn 68 Va.jpg (428.37 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

Research: Chit to Corps organization.
Purchase: Corps and Inf. Div.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 70 May 8, 1863.

RP: Luckily my Brigade in Alexandris retreated before they could kill it.
Glasglow, Ky held up against multiple attacks.
Union sank one of my River Ironclads near Cairo.

Reinf: None.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 38, Fr 36, Sp 38. Land: 98/108. Navy: 31/18.
Convoy: 390 (10). MPP: 1480/1370. FS: 77/92.

Union Fighting Spirt is getting near the 75% mark which will reduces his combat numbers by 5%.

In Kentucky I killed a Division.
In Virginia killed another Division.

Combat seems to be shifting to a war of attrition. It is difficult to get enough units adjacent and still at full strength to make major attacks.

Meanwhile in Florida the Union continues to advance taking Tallahassee which is a FS Objective. But I how have sufficient force there under Beauregard to drive them off.
Turn 70 Fl.jpg
Turn 70 Fl.jpg (381.17 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Research: No change.
Purchases: Corps and River Ironclad.

ET
Skirmishers go to Level 2.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 72 May 30, 1863.

RP: Ft. Pulaski defender by to strength 4 but I think I am beginning to wear him down.
Union advanced more troops into Tallahassee area, but I think I have them out numbered and out supplied.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 39, Fr 39, Sp 40. Land: 94/102. Navy: 31/18.
Convoy: 375 (30 stopped). MPP: 1470/1360. FS: 76/102.

Fighting Spirit is getting close to the 75% mark. Maybe next turn it will fall below.

Battle for Tallahassee - Union position before my attack:
Turn 72 UFl.jpg
Turn 72 UFl.jpg (287.27 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Positions after my attacks:
Turn 72 CFl.jpg
Turn 72 CFl.jpg (242.58 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Should have the city next turn.

Meanwhile in the Far Far West, I am trying to get enough force concentrated against the California Column that I can break it. But the offensive power of my individual units is very low. Especially, at the Union falls back into the hill country where my cavalry is useless.
Turn 72 Ar.jpg
Turn 72 Ar.jpg (217.2 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
In Kentucky the war of attrition continues. I kill divisions at Madisonville and Munfordville. Slowly pushing a little north but the lines tend to just move step forward and step back when the counterattacks occur.
Turn 72 Ky.jpg
Turn 72 Ky.jpg (331.62 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Down south at the mouth of the Mississippi the battle for control of the sea continues. My Ironclad sinks a Union gunboat.

Back in West Viriginia the Union seems to be using all those extra troops they brought in to chase Partisans to try to break my regulars. I am detaching one of my Brigades near Winchester to move southward to help them.

In Viriginia I am finding it difficult to get reasonable combat odds. But was able to kill divisions at Winchester and near Alexandria.

I was able to kill the unit occupying Ft. Pulaski. This apparently is sufficient to reopen the Port of Savannah to foreign blockade runners.

Research: Cav. Equipment.
Purchase: Indians and Cav. Div.

ET
Industrial Tech increases to Lev 4.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 74 Jun 22, 1863.

RP: Looks like the force in Florida found out it couldn't advance without running out of supplies. They pulled back. Probably will leave port garrisoned but it is also to far for me to retake.
Union sank two of my gunboats. One at mouth of Mississippi and other at Savannah.
Spotted transports moving to Ft. Monroe but don't know if the Union is planning to open a new front or not.
Mostly attrition attacks by Union all along the Kentucky and Viriginia line. But did lose a division.

Reinf: Inf. Div. to Richmond and Corps to Nashville.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 41, Fr 30, Sp 41. Land: 90/109. Naval: 30/16.
Convoy: 380 (20 Stopped). MPP: 1480/1450. FS: 73/91.

Fighting Spirit drops below 75%. This should reduce their morale by 5%. Don't know if this will give me enough combat edge to do anything. But if I can keep it going down and keep my production going up, something should go my way.

Union Fighting Spirit:
Turn 74 UFS.jpg
Turn 74 UFS.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Confederate MPP:
Turn 74 CMPP.jpg
Turn 74 CMPP.jpg (187.87 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
In Arizona the Union California Column pulls back into the hill country. I follow but it looks like I need infantry to do anything.

In Kentucky I kill a division near Madisonville but otherwise just rebuilding units.
In Virginia killed an entrenched division still on my side of the Potomac but most of their line is now behind the river and entrenched. I advanced a cavalry to destroy the entrenchment in the hex but withdrew it after so it couldn't be killed.

My Ironclad sinks one of their Frigates off Savannah.

The brigade that was sent from Jacksonville to help fight the group at Tallahassee is returned. The forces already there are more than enough to drive them back to Apalachicola. I retake the now abandoned Tallahasse and my initial attacks send the HQ running. I suspect the rest will head for the port next turn and depart before I can damage them much.
Turn 74 Fl.jpg
Turn 74 Fl.jpg (256.26 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
On the Mississippi my Ironclad takes out another Frigate. It looks like the best use of Frigates is to get as far from Rebel shores as possible.

Research: Leadership.
Purchase: Inf. Div. and Gunboat.

ET
Inf. Tactics are level 3.

Most of what I can purchase not is at its limits. The one thing I find odd is the HQ's are capped before I can purchase some of my best generals (like Jackson). Which leads to a number of questions.

If I had bought Jackson earlier would that have blocked one of my automatic HQ?

Is there something that can be researched to open up more HQ's like you can on Corps?

Are there events later in the game that will raise the limits for HQ production?

Turn 74 Pur.jpg
Turn 74 Pur.jpg (262.4 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 76 Jul 5, 1863.

RP: Union has reinforced the Far West.
3 Monitors and a Frigate try to take out my Ironclad but fail. Badly reduced though.
Attacks along the Kentucky line killing one of my Corps.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 42, Fr 31, Sp 42. Land: 91/107. Navy: 28/16.
Convoy: 370 (30 Stopped). MPP: 1500/1450. FS: 70/93.

Naval battle outside Savannah. I took a beating as shown in the screenshot, but both my Ironclads survived and head back into port. I will have to sacrifice the gunboat to protect the 1 level Ironclad once it gets into the harbor.
Turn 76 Navy.jpg
Turn 76 Navy.jpg (340.21 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
The force in Florida continues to retreat so it can withdraw through the port.

Rain in Arizona and still not strong enough to do anything.

The Union advances in Indian Territory and Missouri, taking Springfield. So, I decide to fall back on my supply and see if I can get them to outrun theirs.
Turn 76 U Mo.jpg
Turn 76 U Mo.jpg (447.77 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Rain also in western Kentucky but I do manage to counterattack and kill a Union Corps.
In Virginia the turn is spent rebuilding and upgrading.

Considering according to the Reports I have an eighteen-unit lead in Land units, it doesn't seem to turn into having an attack advantage anywhere.

Research: Chit into Prod. Tech., Leaderships and Hvy. Mortars.

Purchase: Corps.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 78 Jul 19, 1863.

RP: In Kentucky Union kills a brigade. Attrition attacks all along the lines. One of my River Timberclads got sunk on the Mississippi. Montors off Savannah ganged up on my gunboat and sank it but couldn't damage the Ironclad hidden in port.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 42, Fr 32, Sp 42. Land: 93/106. Navy: 28/14.
Convoy: 420 (20 stopped). MPP: 1550/1550. FS: 69/93.

Big jump in Convoy Supplies. Not really sure why. But it has gotten my MPP equal to Unions.

Only one marine left in Apalachicola. I suspect it will leave before my troops can get in position to attack it.

In Arizona just inconclusive skirmishing. Neither side has enough to seriously damage the other.

In Kentucky I was able to kill a division at Munfodsville.

Research: Chit to Hvy. Mortors and 2 Chits to Amphibious.

Purchase: Monitor.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 80 Aug 2, 1863.

Virginia line is beaten up pretty bad but at least no kills.
Marines left Apalachicola so I will be reoccupying without a fight.
Union destroyed Ft. Walker across from Beaufort.
Monitors made a coordinated attack on the CSS Virginia but didn't kill it. But since I can't rebuild the unit, it will eventually die.

Reinf: Corps to Nashville.

Reports: Mex 23/20. UK 42, Fr 35, Sp 43. Land: 95/107. Navy: 28/14.
Convoy: 390 (20 stopped). MPP: 1600/1460. FS: 67/91.

Both sides FS dropped 2 points. Don't really know what caused that.
Also, Union MPP took a jump up. I guess one of their Production research projects leveled.

In Arizona one of their attacks had weaken the brigade enough for me to counterattack and get a kill.
In Kentucky I was able to kill a division at Munfordville.
In Virginia just about everything requires rebuilding after all the attacks.

Even though on the Reports it shows I have more units, I am finding it more difficult to mass attacks that both kill and don't leave me vulnerable to a counterattack that kills.

Research: Field Telegraph
Purchase: Monitor.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 82 Aug 16, 1863.

RP: Union tries to attack CSS Viriginia in Norfolk port. Reduces it a couple of points. Since Norfolk is blockaded I can't rebuild the ship so may have to make a run for open sea soon.
In Kentucky Union kills a division.
Marines land and take port of Tampa. Ft. Brooke is destroyed nearby.

Reinf: Inf. Div and Corps both to Kentucky.

Reports: Mex: 23/20. UK 43, Fr 34, Sp 44. Land: 93/108. Navy: 28/14.
Convoy: 500 (30). MPP: 1620/1580. FS: 66/90.

Rain in Kentucky limiting movement so not much done there.
In Virginia was able to kill a division but otherwise not much action.
I retake the now undefended Port of Apalachicola.
Otherwise, we seem to be in a stalemate along the lines.

Purchases: Inf. Div., Monitor.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 84 Aug 30, 1863

RP: Union goes on the offensive in Far West and Arizona. Finally, they brought a unit down to reoccupy Ft. Pulaski which closes the port of Savannah again.

Reinf: Cav. to Memphis and new Indian unit to Indian Territory.

Reports: Mex 23/20. UK 43, Fr 34, Sp 44. Land: 95/110. Navy: 28/14.
Convoy: 500 (35 stopped). MPP: 1610/1600. FS: 64/90.

I found out the Rebs don't come with Amphibious capacity when I looked around for a way to take Ft. Pulaski while it was unoccupied. Apparently, I will have to Research that to do it and build Marines.

Unfortunately, having 15 more land units than the Union does seem to translate into any offensive capacity. Probably because I have to cover coasts and also have some very weak units like the Indians and Regiment size.

Right now, I am able to match the Union production, but I suspect they will start shutting down my convoy lanes soon.

My main hope is their Fighting Spirit will continue to decline and go below 50% giving them a 10% morale reduction.

In Virginia I am shifting toward the Valley trying to find a weak point where I can attack without suffering severe counter attacks in the Union turn.

In Kentucky I was able to kill divisions at Princeton and Munfordville. These areas seem to be the center of a back and forth battle for control of Kentucky.
Turn 84 Ky.jpg
Turn 84 Ky.jpg (437.06 KiB) Viewed 1058 times

Research: Max
Purchase: Monitor, Gunboat and RR battery.

ET
Kennon
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

This is a great AAR. 👍
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
kennonlightfoot

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 pm This is a great AAR. 👍
Thanks, I am hoping this will give people some idea of what happens in the game over time. It is hard starting out to tell how decisions in the first year might affect game play. Hopefully some of my decisions will show people what not to do. :D
Kennon

Return to “After Action Report”