Mexican war scenario artillery

Strategic Command: American Civil War gives you the opportunity to battle for the future of the United States in this grand strategy game. Command the Confederacy in a desperate struggle for independence, or lead the Union armies in a march on Richmond.

Moderator: Fury Software

vaalen

Mexican war scenario artillery

Post by vaalen »

Greetings, all.

I am back, and expect to be active on this forum.

I am enjoying the Mexican war scenario, and have a suggestion.

As far as I can tell, from only playing the Americans, Mexican artillery functions in the same way as US artillery. From my studies of the war, US artillery was far more effective. The one exception would be the San Patricio battalion, which was formed from US deserters and may have been the most effective unit in the Mexican army. They used artillery, and used it very well.

I am thinking that maybe the only Mexican artillery in the game should be the San Patricios, which can be formed from an event.

Another change might be to allow US artillery to move and shoot in the same turn. This would simulate somewhat the famous flying artillery of the Americans, which was very mobile, and did move around in actual battle. If this could be done, the Mexican army could keep their artillery, but it could only shoot or move. The San Patricios should be able to do both.

Another idea would be to have a Robert E Lee unit that would be used a scout that could not be attacked. Lee's scouting was invaluable during the war.

Just some ideas. I am enjoying this game very much, and will next play the Russo Japanese War scenario.

Hubert, thank you for yet another great game!

Regards,

Vaalen
BiteNibbleChomp

Re: Mexican war scenario artillery

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Interesting ideas :)

I have accounted for the superior US artillery by giving them both Field Artillery and Mobility tech, which makes them more powerful and able to move faster than their Mexican counterparts. The San Patricios are also already in the game, though as a "Regulars" (ie, better quality Brigade) rather than a unique unit type.

Hope you enjoy the 1904 campaign too :D

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Strategic Command Designer
https://www.youtube.com/@bitenibblechomp
vaalen

Re: Mexican war scenario artillery

Post by vaalen »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:00 pm Interesting ideas :)

I have accounted for the superior US artillery by giving them both Field Artillery and Mobility tech, which makes them more powerful and able to move faster than their Mexican counterparts. The San Patricios are also already in the game, though as a "Regulars" (ie, better quality Brigade) rather than a unique unit type.

Hope you enjoy the 1904 campaign too :D

- BNC
Thanks for the explanation. I do have the opinion that the famous flying artillery was even better than the techs you gave it, and it would be nice to see them move and fire, as they did so much of it. But the game is great without that detail.

I am very impressed with all the scenarios in the DLC, and my thanks to you for designing it.

Regards,

Vaalen

Return to “Strategic Command: American Civil War”