Civil War Scenario 1: The Corinth Campaign 1862

Please share all your mods and scenarios here for the community to play

Moderator: Saint Ruth

governato

Civil War Scenario 1: The Corinth Campaign 1862

Post by governato »

This is the first of three scenarios I plan to share when the new patch is released.

This post is for now just a placeholder with some info on the campaign. I was interested in testing the WEGO engine in a non WW2 setting, with poor intel and sparse map with plenty of room for moving armies around. Finding, pinning or avoiding the enemy will be crucial. Expect one or two decisive battles. The scenario will be playable agaginst the AI or a human opponent. There will be some new graphics for better immersion in the game.

Description

Coming in the aftermath of the Antietam battle in Maryland, The Corinth Campaign of Fall 1862 centers on the attempt by the Confederate Army of the West to secure the vital rail junction of Corinth and with it control of the Mississippi basin East of Memphis. The goal of the Confederate forces is to take Corinth and/or any other main town on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad and defeat the Union army inflicting superior losses. The Union army commander is Ulysses Grant. The Confederate forces are lead by Van Dorn & Price (nominally Van Dorn's subordinate). Confederate forces move faster and have slightly better quality and Command & Control. They campaign was waged in territory that was simpathetic to the Confederates, Intel levels reflect that.
corinth.png
corinth.png (6.18 MiB) Viewed 946 times

Ammo & Supplies: Each Army has sufficient food and supplies for the campaign, but ammo is limited to few major engagements, with only limited resupply and replacements.

Strategy notes: combat is bloodier than for WW2 scenarios and command ranges are short. Keep your forces concentrated and use cavalry as scouts and screening to find where the enemy is before he finds you. It will take days to recover from a major, high intensity battle and in case of defeat retreat to safe supply lines could be difficult. Keep an eye on strategic bridges as the enemy will try to block you there. Historically there were major engagements at Juka and Corinth, resulting in an operational victory for the Union. The Confederate forces had to withdraw and regroup without achieving any long term result. The Union moved forward to isolate and eventually take Vicksburg.

CSA Briefing:

The Union Army of the Mississippi knowns you are coming and that your strategic goal is to take or isolate the Corinth railroad junction. In order to achieve that you have several options: take Corinth, cut the railroad to Memphis by taking Grand Junction and the supply center at Eastport or go North toward well defended Bolivar or even Jackson if you feel bold. Van Dorn formation will activate a few days after Price's.

To represent their logistic value, destroying the Supply Depots in Corinth, Juka and Eastport will give you 5VP each. This encourages the Confederate player to attack these locations even if he won't be able to hold them for long.

Union Briefing

A Rebel Army of about 20-40 thousand men is trying to seize one or more of the railway node and hit your forces before you have time to assemble a strong army. However, you have numerical parity and safer supply lines. Corinth, Juka Bolivar and even Jackson could be the enemy's objective. Find him, delay contact until your army is gathered and then meet him where terrain favors you for a decisive victory. The Confederate army has to attack to win! Use cavalry scouts to find the enemy and threaten his supply lines forcing him to withdraw or leave garrisons at strategic bottlenecks. Your cavalry is your eyes in an hostile territory, make sure to keep it out of trouble.
bcgames

Re: Civil War Scenario 1: The Corinth Campaign 1862

Post by bcgames »

Sweet!
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thank you. Three new scenarios, and they all sound GREAT.
A Sharif
governato

Post by governato »

Here is some alternative test maps I have been working on. I have used AI software starting from my tiles+Photoshop map shown at the top. PM me if you have specific comments/questions.
The game patch seems to be some way off, so I will have to wait before I can share this an the other scenarios.

Corinth.tests.png
Corinth.tests.png (4.26 MiB) Viewed 862 times
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Looks amazing. How did you achieve it?
governato

Post by governato »

So here is the latest version of the map for Corinth*
I have been in touch with Brian lately and good progress is being made, so I restarted working
on Corinth and other scenarios.

Currently implementing various AI tracks and including some other new AI features.

*I am not an illustrator by trade so be nice as I am learning as I go!
Corinth.v3.png
Corinth.v3.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 414 times
bigus

Post by bigus »

Holy f*****g s**t .
I am interested. I think think this engine would be perfect for the American Civil War.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Now the new patch is in beta, can we expect to see these scenarios fairly soon? I imagine you are almost as excited to share them as I am to play them. :D
A Sharif
governato

Post by governato »

Yes,
Bryansk will be the first, say in two weeks? Send me a PM if you want to test it.

Then when 1.04 (we are at 1.03 now but it should be 'soon') comes out it will be Sandbox/Corinth/Antietam.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Your map is beautiful! I look forward to your Civil War releases!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad: Mods and Scenarios”