The New and Improved Wish List

The highly anticipated second release in the Panzer Command series, featuring an updated engine and many major feature improvements. 3D Tactical turn-based WWII combat on the Eastern Front, with historical scenarios and campaigns as well as support for random generated battles and campaigns from 1941-1944.
Mad Russian

The New and Improved Wish List

Post by Mad Russian »

The Official Unofficial Wish List that was started long ago before the game was released seems to have little basis in reality at this point.

So, let's start a wish list after seeing what the game actually has and what we would like to see. Both for future releases and possible patches for PCK.

The floating coins aren't near as bad as I thought they were before I played much with them. So for me that's okay.

The flags were fixed so I can see them better.

There are a couple things that have stayed with me and a couple more that have cropped up so here's my wishlist so far.

1) A fully operational editor. Maps and all.

2) A TCP/hotseat mode so I can do playtesting and TCP game play.

3) HT's need to keep the infantry inside and not dump it in open terrain.

4) The mount order needs to only apply to vehicles. Not buildings. A movement order that ends at a building automatically has the unit enter. A movement order that originates from a building automatically has the unit leave the building.

5) Order strings. Give me at least 3 orders that I can make continuous. Something besides go to point B and then stop and sit.

6) Infantry combat which I won't get into since I know that's on the list of improvements for the PC3 game release.

7) An aircraft targeting system. I want to tell the aircraft where I want airsupport. Not to within inches but no 800 meters away either.

8) The death clock from other tactical games is nice. A firer often doesn't know when a vehicle has been killed unless it explodes.

8a) Not all vehicles should explode.

8b) The smoke and fire should be variable on a vehicle that has been hit. They could easily burn for the 20 minutes of real time that most PCK games take.

9) I would like to see the units about twice as likely to break under fire. Keep the system the same just move the numbers up to about double what they are now for the initiative check.

That's about it for a start. As I play more I'm sure I'll have more ideas on what I'd like the series to model.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Stridor

RE: The New and Improved Wish List

Post by Stridor »

MR,

Do you use outlook? If so my email script support system gives you TCP/IP "like" control over the game. I am also working on a hotseat patch as well for the script.

This all goes through the multiplayer system in the game. So the game still thinks it is playing email turns, but my little background process kinda tricks it. anyway more to come.

I should be able to get a hotseat hack working without outlook obviously.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

1) HQ units with radio contact should have a little light symbol on HUD icon.
2) Reverse sighting - Click on sighted enemy and every unit of yours that can sight it will light up on HUD.
3) Artillery scatters more. Up to 500m from target. Artillery will randomly be delayed a turn or two.
4) Mistaken air attacks. If air strike is called too close to firendly unit (say 500m) they may take the attack.
5) Lost Orders. If subunits are too far from their HQ unit their orders will not take place.
6) Gun jams.
7) Tank turret smoke grenade dischargers (1943+) for Germans. Rear smoke candles/boxes for Soviet tanks.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

No, I use Firefox and Yahoo.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

My list....

1) A fully operational editor. Maps and all.

2) A TCP/hotseat mode so I can do playtesting and TCP game play.

3) HT's need to keep the infantry inside and not dump it in open terrain whenever they take fire. Only when the crew would abandon the HT should the passengers try to get out. Not before then.

4) The mount order needs to only apply to vehicles. Not buildings. A movement order that ends at a building automatically has the unit enter. A movement order that originates from a building automatically has the unit leave the building.

5) Order strings. Give me at least 3 orders that I can make continuous. Something besides go to point B and then stop and sit.

6) Infantry combat which I won't get into since I know that's on the list of improvements for the PC3 game release.

7) An aircraft targeting system. I want to tell the aircraft where I want airsupport. Not to within inches but no 800 meters away either.

8) The death clock from other tactical games is nice. A firer often doesn't know when a vehicle has been killed unless it explodes.

8a) Not all vehicles should explode.

8b) The smoke and fire should be variable on a vehicle that has been hit. They could easily burn for the 20 minutes of real time that most PCK games take.

9) I would like to see the units about twice as likely to break under fire. Keep the system the same just move the numbers up to about double what they are now for the initiative check.

Add to that....

10) Wheeled vehicle hits that read "mobility hit" instead of "track hit".

11) Lose almost all enemy identification on the events chart. I would much prefer to see it read "Soviet tank engaged" rather than " 1/2 Tank Battlaion 2". There is no possible way that a commander would know the organizational slot held by a unit that has been targeted by his forces during combat. The best you get is your own guys telling you they are, "fighting with T-34's." The worst you get is, "we are taking tank fire!"

More as I think about them and they come to mind.

And then there are these too:

12) I would like to be able to give a vehicle unit a reliability rating. Poor to Excellent. Poor meaning that the vehicle could go immobile 75% of the time. Excellent meaning the unit performs flawlessly, you know like they always do in wargames. The Panther is a prime example. Any Panthers in an Kursk scenario should be at poor reliability. They broke down and caught fire. During the Battle of the Bulge the Germans were starving for fuel. If a tank runs out of fuel in the middle of a battle it's bad news. The entire 2nd Panzer Division was almost destroyed for that very reason during the Battle of the Bulge.

13) All manner of engineer tasks. Again I think that is slated for PC3 so I'll not go deep into that. But flamethrowers, demo charges, road blocks, wire and mines could all be added. The tasks should be rated both for emplacement and for removal.

14) All manner of specific squad/vehicle crew experience levels. Not just setting the experience levels for the entire platoon.

14a) To the ability to have historical names and to have available all the medals and extra attributes to be available to assign to each squad/vehicle crew. These guys were there not just for campaigns but in actual battles too. One of the things missing in PC is the connection to the pixel troops...giving them their historical names and their attributes will help tremendously. You won't want to see that Panzer Ace lose that gun duel with a T-34 now will you.....?@!!

15) I would like to be able to add map labels. To make the map terrain more personable. To, "put you there".

Good Hunting.

MR

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

My #1 wish that should be relatively easy to accomplish in a patch is-

1) More intuitive artillery spotting. To include being able to retarget if the spread isn't what was intended (during the call turn) and being able to rotate the sheafs 90 degrees instead of being stuck with one direction.
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

My wish list:
1) Better animations for infantry. They look too static to me.
2) Better artillery graphic effect: it seems a bit too weak IMHO.
3) Infantry vs Infantry close assault rule: if 2 INF units come too close each other, close combat assault should begin. In one mission my german rifle unit (under rush order) run through a russian inf unit. It's a bit unrealistic IMHO.
4) More reactive TactIA.

My 2 cents.

PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Mine is
1/ Some "out of command" system to avoid funky squad behavior when separated from HQ (should also apply to radioless AFVs). Units "out of command" would have limited options (move a bit, fire)
2/ Better platoon move orders implementation : I'd like to be able to give a spot, a formation (form + spacing), and a facing. Having squads following parallel routes to their HQ require reajusting them most of the time, it kills the whole idea if I have to mm like in CM but without the tools... Less a problem for vehicles though
I support the auto-enter building idea
3/ More informative HUD : platoon symbols to link the con icon and the HUD icon, damage/status info on the HUD icon etc..
4/ BETTER sounds, pleeeaaase, I 'm more than fed up with the immensely repetitive small fire deflection sound !! Arty sound is too weak and soft also
5/ Arty improvement : more control on pattern, spotting rounds+adjustements. Arty fire also looks weak effect-wise, it could have improved suppression chance
6/ If ever infantry could be able to fire simultaneously several weapons (rifle + MG+ grenades) it'll be easy to more accurately model several types of squad. Currently "pioneers" don't behave much differently than cav squad..
Also if infantry unit nr of hits could be adjusted (because squads went from 6-7 to 13 guys)
7/ Be able to select a unit by clicking on its coin, or a larger radius around it when selected from the map. I usually select units from the map because the HUD doesn't tell where they are, and then  it's a pain to select a squad or MG/Mortar, you have to exactly click on a model, so you must zoom in..
8/ BTW, more varied inf models/animations
9/ Some toggles to remove trees/Smoke, and to make units more visible (bigger, with a symbol or with a "base" -but less ugly than CM lol).

My 0.02 eurocents ;)

PDF
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

1. An 'Advance To Contact' order.
2. Better platoon pathing. Especially when crossing bridges etc.
3. See my sig.
4. Have an arty targeting circle, rather than the current two spot targets.
5. Ability to adjust arty fire.
6. Arty fire that 'looks' a bit more terrifying.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
10) Wheeled vehicle hits that read "mobility hit" instead of "track hit".

Hm, this should already work that way. Are you not getting "wheel" and "mobility" hits on your wheeled vehicles?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
British tommy

Post by British tommy »

Most of my points are already covered by others but one thing I would like to see is when you target say a tank, the LOS should tell you the target (does not have to be the exact name) and the distance plus chance to kill.
As it is now, you put the line onto the target and it does not tell you the target name. I always worried I might be firing at the ground beside it instead of the actual tank.
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

BT, if you are on a target, you should get the message, poor-average-good chance to hit. If not, you get the area fire box.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Romeo13

Post by Romeo13 »

1. Finish up the 3D models for the units now using generic designs...
2. Different move speeds for infantry, a squad of Elites did not move the same speed as a HMG.
3. Artillery patterns should be configuarable... Horizontal or verticle to your entry point?  And a third option should be there to allow for an HE pattern using the Smoke shell template.

4. A dynamic Campaign.  It does not use set battles, but generates the next battle based on random factors, and how well you did in the last battle, even going so far as to take you out of the line for refit and such...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

1) destructible buildings--didn't see it in this thread but I guess it's already coming?

2) Bigger maps--ditto

3) Ability to export end-games files (for creation of DYI campaigns)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Romeo13
2. Different move speeds for infantry, a squad of Elites did not move the same speed as a HMG.

This is already in there. Though they are listed at the same base speed, units like HMGs and Mortars and Infantry Guns move significantly slower. Give them a try in a footrace and you'll see the infantry squad win.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Couple of items I'd like to see:

1. Improved font for LOS msg.

2. When unit has a fire target, I'd like to see the shot quality (good - average- poor) appear in the unit ID box adjacent to the target name that shows up there now.

3. Move to mount order (but not automatic - sometimes I don't want to enter the building, I just want to hid behind it)

Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Romeo13

Romeo - it might not be noticeable over short distance - but I jsut finished a scenario where the speed differences between an Infanty squad and a Hvy MG became painfully obvvious.

Rick
British tommy

Post by British tommy »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

BT, if you are on a target, you should get the message, poor-average-good chance to hit. If not, you get the area fire box.

Thanks J2D, your quite right but some times it hard to make out the writing from the background (with glasses on!) [:)]
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is there any kind of fatigue modelled for infantry rushing across half the map.  I win most of my test scenarios by rushing my infantry to the flags.  Some of those rushes have been over half a klick.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

No fatigue at present, but we limited Rush speed during the game's design so that it's more of a fast walk or slow jog which someone with combat gear might be able to sustain for a while and not a flat out sprint.

When we go to larger maps, some kind of limitation is likely to be necesary.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Panzer Command: Kharkov”