Anyone playing this game?

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Cheesehead

Anyone playing this game?

Post by Cheesehead »

I bought this game when it first came out, but didn't like how "gamey" it became with tech levels. ie. creating super subs, or super tanks and clearing the world with a handful of them. Has this been fixed? Was this a problem other people experienced or was it just me? It doesn't look like there has been a lot of activity on this forum and I wonder if that is an indication the game is not being played???

You can't fight in here...this is the war room!
Erik Rutins

RE: Anyone playing this game?

Post by Erik Rutins »

Most folks have moved on to the sequel, A World Divided (one forum down) which has a number of improvements.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

oops that is why I won't get answers here... 
AGEOD Team
wolf4

Post by wolf4 »

I used to play Gary Grigsby's World at War but then stopped it for one reason only. I found that everytime I played the Axis side either Russia or the Western Allies would crush me in a flood of attack which I couldn't stave off no matter what I did. I tried to play intelligently but was always pressed for time knowing full well that sooner or later the flood gates would open and Russia and the Allies would overwhelm me.

I never had the chance to enjoy experimenting alternative ways of attacking the rest of the world; trying out different strategies. Instead I could never get that far - Russia was already overwhelming me and so were the Allies. There was no breather; it was always a race against the clock! For me it killed the enjoyment of playing the game.

Did anyone else have this experience? Or was I really that stupid in my playing? Yes, I can hear the obvious and expected response to that question. I know that there were specific key areas to exploit in order to get the upper hand, but for some reason I couldn't pull it off. But really, do I have to play at expert level from the outset just to get even? Whereas on the Allies side it seemed they could afford to play "stupidly" and still win. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little bit. Nevertheless, that was the "impression" I had with the game.

I realise this is what happened in history but I do not want it to be so overwhelmingly predictable in a game that no matter what I do I will lose. Or if you are playing on the Allies side you don't want to know for a fact you are going to almost always win. If it is going to be that predictable then what is the point of playing the game?

Finally, the game "Advanced Tactics" came along and there you can actually create your own maps. It is enjoyable because you do not know for certain who is going to win. There is now room and time to "deliciously" plan out one's strategies and tactics. Besides, who wants to keep playing games that are always based on real events where one side is definitely weak, fighting on two fronts and the outcome being so predictable that playing the game loses it's meaning.

Did anyone have this experience when playing on the Axis side?

Attachments
wolf052_.jpg
wolf052_.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 204 times
jomni

Post by jomni »

I confirm your experience. 

I also have a feeling of having bad die rolls all the time compared to the enemy.  This is what made me dump the game.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”