Problem With Some Running Plays

Questions, comments, suggestions regarding the use of the PDS to create and modify plays and formations for Maximum-Football

Moderator: David Winter

hack153

RE: QB Avoiding Sack Problem

Post by hack153 »

yes, "pro" for me is a splitback formation.

i try to keep my "football language" in my playbooks as simple and as common as possible. although, simple and common really depends on the audience.  

i am a big fan of I formations. they give teams good balance between running and passing. i am probably going to not make any more pro/splitback formations because it is really hard to design running plays that are effective (at least in the video game realm).
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
DreamTeams

Post by DreamTeams »

ORIGINAL: cbelva

I have seen this too. What I see happening on these plays is that it is a run play where the QB drops back and then pitiches it to the RB like it is a shuttle pass. I have opened the play up in the editor and it looked designed that way. The QB drops back like to pass and then is given the command to pitch to HB. The HB just stands there because he has been given a "run to next point" command without a next point to go to. I change the command to run to end zone and it appears to correct the problem. I have found several like from different coaches. Most of these are "HB dive" plays.

Ah, ok. I'll give this a try. Thanks.
DreamTeams

Post by DreamTeams »

ORIGINAL: DreamTeams

ORIGINAL: cbelva

I have seen this too. What I see happening on these plays is that it is a run play where the QB drops back and then pitiches it to the RB like it is a shuttle pass. I have opened the play up in the editor and it looked designed that way. The QB drops back like to pass and then is given the command to pitch to HB. The HB just stands there because he has been given a "run to next point" command without a next point to go to. I change the command to run to end zone and it appears to correct the problem. I have found several like from different coaches. Most of these are "HB dive" plays.

Ah, ok. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Fixed. Problem solved.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

By the way, there are several plays like this. In all of them the HB or RB is pitch the ball like a shuttle pass and then stand then. When you look at the play in the editor, the QB has a handoff/pitch to command to that runner. However, the runnner has a move to next point command and just stands there after receiving the ball. When I change the command to run to endzone, the problem is fixed. I have found at least 4 plays like this. Maybe Hack can fix this in the next release. Thanks
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
hack153

Post by hack153 »

thanks for the info. if any one finds a problem, let me know what play it is and i will fix it. with the amount of plays and playbooks i made, there is going to be a couple mistakes.

looking at Coach Goode, i might just trash several more formations. the pro/splitback is a real pain to make good running plays with. any thoughts on this?
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Hack, I just want to say thanks for your work. It has made mine easier. I am using your plays and appreciate your work.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
hack153

Post by hack153 »

glad to hear that they are helpful. 

i am really making some changes.  besides getting rid of some of Goode's plays, i'm trashing most goalline defensive plays and replacing them with twice as many.  i've also added several other formations and plays to face 3rd and short (5-2, 4-4, etc.) and to face run heavy offenses.  

i have a fairly long list of changes that i want to make, and i keep adding to it.  i don't think i'll make any new playbooks until i am really satisfied with the ones i have already created.  i am a bit of a perfectionist which is good and bad. i also have to keep in mind that this is a video game, not real life, so there will be some things that are not as realistic as i would like.

DreamTeams

Post by DreamTeams »

ORIGINAL: hack153

thanks for the info. if any one finds a problem, let me know what play it is and i will fix it. with the amount of plays and playbooks i made, there is going to be a couple mistakes.

looking at Coach Goode, i might just trash several more formations. the pro/splitback is a real pain to make good running plays with. any thoughts on this?

Actually, I like the pro formations, Hack. Reminds me of pro football from when I first became interested in the mid 70's. But, I'm down with whatever you put together. Thanks fror the great work.
Marauders

RE: Problem with Some Running Plays

Post by Marauders »

This looks like A PDS issue with specific running plays, so I am moving it over to the PDS area.
hack153

Post by hack153 »

i wondered what happened to this thread...[&:]
dreamtheatervt

Post by dreamtheatervt »

ORIGINAL: hack153

Your problem isn't unique to you - it's the same problem that racked college and pro teams in the early 90's when everyone was trying to copy Bill Walsh. Split backs is really a horrendous running formation (surprisingly though, moving the FB behind center fixes most of them) because its hard to get RB's to square up in the hole except when diving straight ahead, which makes the "power-O/off-tackle/lead/whatever one wants to call it" less effective because it makes it harder for the RB to make man miss.

Long story short - it's not you, and it's not the game that's failing your pro set. Now, if you are Lavell Edwards and you don't care that you only get 50 yds per game on the ground, then split backs is fine [:D]
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

i wondered what happened to this thread...

Yeah, the topic headline didn't really have anything to do with what was being discussed.

For future reference, it would have been confusing to leave the headline as it was.

Return to “Play Development System (PDS)”