AAR: falklands-2.0 Advance Guards

Post reports of your decisive victories and infamous defeats here to share with other wargamers.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

=FC=Gorgon

AAR: falklands-2.0 Advance Guards

Post by =FC=Gorgon »

As the UK, our orders are to station our fleet replenishment ships (HVUs) in a Zone for 8 hours. We also must destroy both Argentine HVUs which are the Ro-Ro and an Amphibious ship.

To do this we have a SAG consisting of the HMS Sheffield, the HMS Coventry and the HMS Brilliant. The Support TF consists of the the HMS Arrow, HMS Plymouth, A Olwen and the RFA Fort Austin. Each force has some Wasp HAS.1 helos too (no sensors but some Mk46 torps).

Moved Support TF in a big zig-zag towards the Zone. SAG headed directly towards the Zone at Full speed. Idea was to get there and start looking for enemy surface assets. Figured enemy subs wouldn't be there yet.

Found enemy SAG NW of the Zone. We exchanged Exocets and there was some damage to the Arrow; which had peeled off from the Support TF and was trying to merge with the SAG. The Arrow had some good stuff so I wanted it in the SAG. This left just the Plymouth guarding the UK HVU but I figured it was worth the risk for now. Due to a miscalculation on my side, I only fired 6 Exocets total and thus had 2 left. I decided to save them for the enemy HVUs. Exocets were on the Brilliant.

The 4 ship SAG moved in to the enemy SAG to engage with guns. Our tight formation managed to get into range one by one and sink the enemy SAG. Though the Sheffield was heavily damaged (could manage 15 knots). The Coventry was sunk. Meanwhile the Support TF moved closer to the Zone. I knew what time I had to be in there to get the 8 hours needed for the VC and I figured if I linger outside for a bit, I'd be better off; assuming enemy subs were heading towards the Zone.

I sent the Arrow back towards the Zone to start ASW duty. She was pretty damaged but still had working sonar. I had already sent the Plymouth West to try to meet up with the SAG. She had a good gun and would be useful in a gun duel. The Plymouth caught up in time to meet up with the SAG to go after the enemy HVUs.

When in range, the SAG launches 1 Exocet at the Ro-Ro and 1 at a Drummond. There is some damage but no sinking. The Brilliant has the best sonar so she heads East to the Zone. The Plymouth and Sheffield move in and blast the rest of the enemy forces with 114mm fire. Some more damage is done to the Sheffield though.

With the enemy surface forces gone, the SAG heads to the Zone at Full speed (15 knots). The Brilliant has reached the Zone and starts a slow sweep. I also drift the Support TF into the Zone to start collecting my time. Shortly thereafter, the Brilliant picks up a sub just out of the zone, but moving into it. I wait until the sub gets in the Zone. It takes two Mk46 torps launched from a helo, but it gets sunk.

The Brilliant and the Support TF hook up and start a slow patrol. The Arrow is out on the Eastern edge of the Zone. All of a sudden, it picks up a sub at periscope depth. The sub launches a torp and the Arrow launches a Mk46 back. In a blaze of glory, the enemy sub and the Arrow sink each other.

The SAG reaches the Zone and starts a patrol. The Support TF also does a slow, Southerly patrol. At about 1900 the computer says I met the VC and the game is over.

I will admit it took me a couple of tries. The two opposing SAGs have the ability to do some serious damage. It depends on who gets the jump. In my case, the SAGs got wind of each other at about the same time and the AAW assets were able to mostly protect the ships. But with my moving the Arrow over, I had a one ship advantage and when it came to the gun duels, I was able to concentrate fire on one ship at a time. Once the enemy SAG was out of the way, sinking the Argentine HVUs was not hard.

The subs were a worry but I figured any who entered the Zone were fair game. I suspect there were more that I did not detect and who did not get in range to attack my HVUs.

Overall a challenging, to me at least, scenario. Thanks FreekS!

(also posted on Gamesquad)

M
hermanhum

Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB

Post by hermanhum »

Great AAR.  Now we'll have to try this game in MP.  [;)]

Return to “After Action Reports”