does ANW requires Access DB?

Post bug reports, technical support request and store or installation issue reports here.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

fulcrum28

does ANW requires Access DB?

Post by fulcrum28 »

I wonder if ANW required the Access DB software like HCE.

thank you.
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Bucks

RE: does ANW requires Access DB?

Post by Bucks »

No it doesn't. Everyone is welcome to apply for a copy of the in game DB editor. I'm not sure the old link would still function with the changes to AGSI's website. I'll drop Russell an email and see what the situation is at present.

I have the RE (Access Editor) and still need to save my export from the RE using the game editor. I hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers

Darren
Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
hermanhum

Question

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

I wonder if ANW required the Access DB software like HCE.
There are two database editors. One is similar to the Scenario Editor with a few more (database) functions added. That is called the in-game Editor (H3Editor.exe) and does not require Microsoft Access to function. It generally works, but is very, very awkward to use. i.e. no sort/search functions, etc.

The Microsoft Access-based editor is often referred to as the Reimer editor and is similar to the one found with HCE. If you are trying to do perform some serious database editing, that is probably the one you want to use as it is much more user-friendly.

If you do not have Access, it is not necessary to purchase it for this single purpose. You can get a freely distributed copy of RunTime2003 and it will emulate Access2003 quite well. That is how I am able to use the Reimer editor.

Are you seeking some new entries? Is something missing from the PlayersDB? If so, we might be able to add things if you need them to create scenarios.
fulcrum28

RE: Question

Post by fulcrum28 »

Thank you very much for your replies.

Hermanhum>

I was thinking whether it could be possible to add pictures by myself. I have not played ANW yet and i am not sure if all platforms have pictures. Furthermore, I would like to add color pictures, and give to each plane its national symbols..although it may take time, i would like to do it if the game allows it.

On the other hand, do you know when V3.10
http://www.computerharpoon.com/demos.html will be available?

I have downloaed other demos but there is some trouble with the clock. I dont know how to modify my PC to make it playable..

thank you.
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
rsharp@advancedgamin

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

Howdy Fulcrum,

By trouble with the clock do you mean that the demo has expired? I'll update the demo and let you know on this thread.

3.10 is essentially in post-production now. I can only say that it will be released 'soon'.

Thanks,
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
hermanhum

Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB

Post by hermanhum »

I was thinking whether it could be possible to add pictures by myself. I have not played ANW yet and i am not sure if all platforms have pictures. Furthermore, I would like to add color pictures, and give to each plane its national symbols..although it may take time, i would like to do it if the game allows it.
Technically, it is possible to add pictures the way you describe. However, in terms of practicality, you are likely to experience some of the same problems as these folks:

Editing entries in the PlayersDB
tm.asp?m=2027517

Aircraft ready times
tm.asp?m=2270369

There is very little you can do to avoid those problems since that is how the game is currently set up. Unless and until AGSI decides to change their silly Signature function, you are stuck with it. I hope that those discussions are not too confusing for a new user. If you are determined to pursue this project, I will try to help you as much as possible.

I have downloaded other demos but there is some trouble with the clock. I dont know how to modify my PC to make it playable.
You can usually get the old Demos to work by simply temporarily re-setting your system clock. For example, try Jan 1, 2009 for the 3.94 edition of the demo.

http://www.computerharpoon.net/public/H ... mo_394.exe
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

Fulcrum,

You are welcome to add your own pictures or you may wish to contact me directly and I can forward the Picture index for 3.8, 3.9, 3.10 and onward. There are in fact colour pictures already in game (one of the first projects I undertook while working WITH AGSI and not against them as some subscribers to this forum do.)

Mr Hum's critical analysis of the signature function is quite funny as it in NO WAY effects the pictures displayed in game. I would suggest he's simply too lazy to adjust his platform index lists or it wasn't constructed for him personally and therefore he's not happy... [:@]

I've included a sample of the current 3.9/3.10 pictures and very few are black & white. You could either undertake the project yourself or possibly add to the library I've already established.

Cheers

Darren

Attachments
DNSC8505486HUD3.jpg
DNSC8505486HUD3.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 374 times

hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

And there you have the fanboi perspective. Did you notice that it totally ignored your question? [;)]

I was thinking whether it could be possible to add pictures by myself.
The simple answer (again) is, "Yes". However, you have to suffer the all the accompanying problems Signature problems.

I see that you have not yet purchased the game so be sure to take a look at AGSI List of Known ANW Issues. If you decide to get this game, you will find out what these other three paying customers already know and reported to AGSI. All the fanboi screaming in the world will not change the laws of physics and mathematics. You are free to spend your $50 to find out for yourself that you cannot do what cannot be done.
Bucks

RE: Problem

Post by Bucks »

Herman,

Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

If Fulcrum wants to start from scratch how would the signature problem affect his work? If he was to contribute to the existing photo library then I suppose I'd wear the production and signature issues...

I know you hate it that others actually know about this simulation and you're not always correct but hey get over it. I'm back and this ain't your backyard mate.

Thanks for calling me a fan of the simulation, that's the first sensible thing you've said in an eon. You on the otherhand are certainly Public Enemy No.1 in regard to Harpoon and your public statements that almost always trash the work of others.

To quote Oscar Wilde, you are definately a cynic. That is a man who knows the price of everything, yet the value of nothing...

Have a good life

Darren Buckley

hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: Bucks

That is quite ironic coming from someone who's only ability seems to be in throwing insults. And we all know what happened the last time you took that stance. [;)]

I know you hate it that others actually know about this simulation and you're not always correct but hey get over it. I'm back and this ain't your backyard mate.
And the fact is that no one noticed your absence nor your return. Imagine that.

Fulcrum can decide for himself what works and who is telling the truth. All it will cost him is $50. I'm sure he's plenty capable of making that decision himself, too.

He'll find out two things quickly enough:

1) How this game does or does not work
2) Who is responsible for the game's current shabby performance
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

That is quite ironic coming from someone who's only ability seems to be in throwing insults. And we all know what happened the last time you took that stance. [;)]

And the fact is that no one noticed your absence nor your return. Imagine that.

Fulcrum can decide for himself what works and who is telling the truth. All it will cost him is $50. I'm sure he's plenty capable of making that decision himself, too.

He'll find out two things quickly enough:

1) How this game does or does not work
2) Who is responsible for the game's current shabby performance

For me this isn't a popularity contest, I really don't care who did or didn't notice my absense.

Go on run to the Matrix Police and have me banned because I don't agree with you. Anyone with an opinion different from your own is simply wrong or stupid or am I both?

I know what I've done to improve the game, and any thinking individual can see your constant negative attitude. Go and buy a copy of Tetris, sounds like the lack of bugs in that oldie might suit you.

Darren

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish »

Where can I download Harpoon ANW 3.94 database editor (I do not want Reimer Editor but this old-fashioned one)? All links I found are dead...
uncleharpoon

Post by uncleharpoon »

Spearfish

WHOOPS! - ENTIRELY MY BAD[8|]

We did a re-org on the server and moved a few things in preparation for 3.10.

Please point me to the posting where the download URL is and we'll update it ASAP.

Meanwhile, the H3DC (game based editor) is here:
http://computerharpoon.com/downloads/20 ... r-v394.exe

And the H3RE (Access based) is here:
http://computerharpoon.com/downloads/20 ... E_2_29.zip

I just tested them from my day job and they appear to be fine, if you have trouble let me know and I'll get it fixed up.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish »

Many thanks, Uncleharpoon! [&o]

I was able to download first editor I am interested with from link you provided. Now I can look inside databases and maybe correct something I consider to be not very realistic.

Return to “Harpoon 3 ANW Support”