Swatter's Mod Pack

Share scenarios and mods with other players here.
swatter555

Swatter's Mod Pack

Post by swatter555 »

Hello ToW players, I have put together a comprehensive mod for 1.7. First I want to give credit to Peter 123 whose map I use modified for my purposes. Peter 123 also inspired my counter set. The gameplay changes are my own. I wanted to give ToW a more historical flow, where good weather is used for grand offensives and winter weather can only support limited attacks.

I created a unit set that I think looks neat, but can be a little busy. I still like my old unit set, I am not sure which I prefer. I will provide a link to my old ones too: http://www.4shared.com/file/d3cDTyqj/Sw ... nters.html

Included in the mod is the following:
-new counter skin
-new map skin (thx Peter123)
-new 1939 scenario

Just unzip the following file into the data/gfx folder and set them in-game.

http://www.4shared.com/file/i4ssxxSX/Sw ... _1939.html

Edit- you need to put scenario in the scenario folder.

The new scenario is still being tested, so balance may not be perfect. If you think something needs to be fixed, let me know. The German AI may come out real strong, that is my hope. Just in case set them to easy or better.

Change List for Gameplay:
1) Leader Ratings: Changed leaders I thought were too poorly rated.
2) All ship start repaired: I found this annoying, plus makes up for lost PPs due to shorter year.
3) Slovakia surrenders on turn one: What the heck was it doing in there anyway?
4) Attacker losses in airstrikes increased to offset new effectiveness.
5) Airstrike losses greater: Airstikes will make a difference in battle, but must be used with restraint.
6) Doctrine level and action points: Germans have a great advantage to start.
7) Zone of control penalty reduced for mot and tank: Once again, clear weather attacks will be more effective.
8) Turns per month adjusted to the following: Jan-Dec 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,4,3,3,2.
9) Mountain defense doubled. Hill and city defense also increased, but not as drastic.
10) Trenches now build up in increments of 10 for a maximum of 50.
11) Winter move cost increased 70%.

Attachments
screen3.jpg
screen3.jpg (197.83 KiB) Viewed 374 times
dodd1

RE: Swatter's Mod Pack

Post by dodd1 »

Thanks for the new mod. I noticed in your earlier notes you had planned to make ground units such as normal infantry more expensive yet the cost appear unchanged. Is this due to the lesser number of turns per game year?
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

The real problem was the lack of a manpower representation in the game, and trying to fix that by making infantry cost more didn't work out. It had more unintended consequences that I thought it would and it messed with game mechanics in too many ways. I suppose it is one of the things I have to accept about the game.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I will be giving this a try as I find time, and I thank you for your efforts.  The representation of a corps as three divisions is an interesting idea, whether Peter123's or yours.

Thanks again,

Chuck
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

I like your mod so far. I think the AI is using the bombing runs on units really well. The money I should be spending on new units I'm spending on repairs. Ouch!!!
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

I have noticed that the AI is a little better in this mod. I like what you have done. You can no longer have huge tank armies and now you must use combined arms to reach your goals (as it should be). This is the best ETO game right now.
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

I have noticed that the AI is a little better in this mod. I like what you have done. You can no longer have huge tank armies and now you must use combined arms to reach your goals (as it should be). This is the best ETO game right now.

I didn't notice anything in the notes that would cause a better AI. Or a reason for not having huge tank armies. Please explain.

This mod might just get me back to playing ToW more intensely again.

swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

My changes might cause the Germans to be a tougher opponent the first 2 years. This is because there is a wider land doctrine gap initially. I did increase the entrenchment bonus to 50% in increments of 10, in addition to making cities easier to defend. This will make it harder for humans, but I am unsure of how this will affect the AI in the long-term.

I don't want my mod to be over-sold, because I think its best contribution is to game flow and not really intended to help the AI.
AH4Ever

Post by AH4Ever »

ORIGINAL: swatter555

My changes might cause the Germans to be a tougher opponent the first 2 years. This is because there is a wider land doctrine gap initially. I did increase the entrenchment bonus to 50% in increments of 10, in addition to making cities easier to defend. This will make it harder for humans, but I am unsure of how this will affect the AI in the long-term.

One, what I guess would be an unexpected advantage for Germany is the ability to conquer the Baltic States rather quickly. Even while the invasion of Poland is underway.
JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

Let me know what you all think of the changes, good and bad. I can make the mod better with more feedback.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Normal production for all countries.

I have played both ways.  The Allies held France, and the British and French were advancing into Germany when the very, very powerful Soviets attacked and will break the back of the Axis.  The Germans have no reserves, period.  The east is empty. Britain, France, Iraq and Norway swept the Med and defeated Italy.

The Germans were fun to play against and did much better than they do in the regular 1939 scenario.  This is a step in the right direction.

In my current campaign as the Axis I have taken France in 1939, Yugoslavia and Greece inthe winter, and am going to start Barbarossa a year early.  Looking forward to this.  Poland was a breeze, the Low Countries, and France all pushovers.  The North African campaign goes well for Italy.

The AI (not your issue) played the naval war with incredible incompetence, including placing many raiders in the box off Portugal?  To intercept what exactly?  They will not have to worry about these ships any longer as the Germans destroyed them.  The Axis rules the waves.

I a playing with the new map and counters too, and enjoy them.  Thanks!

Chuck
dodd1

Post by dodd1 »

So far I have only played as the allies on normal settings

I like the fact that bombers are more effective as it gives the allies more of a chance to counter attack against the axis. Bombers are now a worthwhile build.

Thanks for making all ships start repaired as this enables Britain to at least keep pace with others in the technology race. Anything that is going to make winter tougher for the germans is appreciated. Would it be possible to introduce some events that reflect germany not having enough winter gear.

The decreased number of turns per month in winter, spring and fall might at least give a skilled PBEM allied player a chance of delaying a german invasion till 1941. It is frustrating to me to see Russia being invaded in 1940 because France is such a push over.

I would like to try the mod as a PBEM game if there are any takers
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

Ya, I still have some work to do with winter, but I need to hear more feedback. It sounds like Chuck is kicking some real butt as the Germans.
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

I just had a thought to keep the AI in the game (naval wise) somewhat longer. What if the number of hit points of all types of ships is increased? I am not sure how much, but that could keep the AI alive longer. I am just so highly disappointed at the way the naval war plays out, it dooms the AI side within a year, no matter what country it plays.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Two weeks into Barbarossa, June 9, 1940. Making hay while the Sun shines.

Chuck

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (133.67 KiB) Viewed 368 times
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I think you should contact Doomtrader and find out whatever is necessary to make this new counter mix of yours for SoP. It would be a nice addition. (Funny huh how easy it for me to volunteer your time!)

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I have been thinking, as I mowed the lawn, about your idea for more hits per vessel.  This is a brilliant idea!  It reflects how few ships actually were sunk in this theater, gives the AI the chance you describe, and makes a "fleet in being" a real concept.

I would love to play with this mod.

Chuck
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

Ok, lets consider a few things. The AI puts up a fight for a good year or so. The AI really pulls out all the stops. If I were to double the hit points, we are talking about the AI fighting hard for two years. In addition, if you set the AI countries to easy or very easy, they might be able to outpace you. Maybe they could win the naval war in that case. Yes, it is cheating, but right now it is too easy to win the naval war. Whats everyones thoughts?

Here are my thoughts about upcoming changes:

-Should I make winter movement penalties harsher?
-I am thinking about changing the pulses as follows Jan-Dec: 2,2,2,3,4,5,5,5,4,3,2,2.
-And of course the naval hp changes.
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I think you should contact Doomtrader and find out whatever is necessary to make this new counter mix of yours for SoP. It would be a nice addition. (Funny huh how easy it for me to volunteer your time!)

The conversion shouldn't be too hard. What would make this mod alot cooler was if someone could help me by creating aircraft silhouettes for each country for each tech level. That is something I really wanted to do but didn't have the time.
AH4Ever

Post by AH4Ever »

ORIGINAL: swatter555

I just had a thought to keep the AI in the game (naval wise) somewhat longer. What if the number of hit points of all types of ships is increased? I am not sure how much, but that could keep the AI alive longer. I am just so highly disappointed at the way the naval war plays out, it dooms the AI side within a year, no matter what country it plays.

You might want to look at

line# 277 #AI ship repair (HP % when ship is repaired)

in consts.csv as you consider changing the hit points.

it is set at 35%, I'm not sure if increasing or decreasing it would help AI fight on longer but I thought I would point it out to you.

JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!

Return to “Scenarios and Mods”