Goblin vs. Belisarius - episode II

With over 7000 threads, a lot great material lies buried in the Darkest Reaches. These represent what the community has agreed are some of the best SP:WaW threads to date.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Belisarius

Goblin vs. Belisarius - episode II

Post by Belisarius »

We're at it again! Night battle (Goblin Ground! :eek: ) with 16 vis despite darkness and rainfall. I command the glorious Soviet army, while Goblin has a rag-tag team of Romanian infantry and German forces at his disposal. We thought it could be fun to see how GE play in a mixed force. (That was not too unusual) The map is heavily forested with a few scattered villages. Many many hills and ridges, with a few bigger in the center. My front deploy line stretched just behind the ridge of those hills.

The tranquil darkness is filled with the roar of engines, the thunder of exploding shells and troops shouting to each other to pass the Vodka along. The People's revolutionary Red Army is afoot once again.

First round without any contact with the fascist enemy. The troops are inching their way through the dense forest at a painstakingly slow rate, but so far it's at least in the right direction - that of the enemy.

The people's artillery cheered a bit too loud after the initial bombardment, at least they obviously didn't hear the new target assignments! I want them to pound the Heer onboard artillery, not the front line! :mad: We don't even know where they are - the Red Army FO do know where the onboards are!

On a side, I'm just curious: My roster lists some of the..uh.. villagers to appear in Turn99???! What's that supposed to mean? That they joined the 5th column?
Got StuG?
Goblin

Re: Goblin vs. Belisarius - episode II

Post by Goblin »

Originally posted by Belisarius
On a side, I'm just curious: My roster lists some of the..uh.. villagers to appear in Turn99???! What's that supposed to mean? That they joined the 5th column?
It basically means they failed to infiltrate.

Goblin- A Goblin better look around:rolleyes:

PS-Turn description to follow:)
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Well, no contact yet. I have spotted some commies on MC's coming on fast in the south, but no shooting as yet. Lots of HE flying back and forth though. I'm hitting Bel's on-boards, with casualties being listed. Using 105mm's and 120mm mortars. Probably gonna add a 150 battery. He's pounding the line with 152mm FH (:eek: ) and 120mm mortars. My poor Rumanian Mountain Infantry are sucking mud.:(

The map is pretty densely wooded, with short, clear lanes here and there. There are several roads, both east-west, and north-south. Not a heck of a lot of big hills, just several mediums, and some small ones. Sight range 16 is NOT Goblin ground! I like 2-5 hexes! Still, it IS dark, isn't it?:D

He will, of course, face German armor, but my infantry and most artillery is Rumanian. They fought on the Russian front, so we figured to try and toss them in, just to see.

Bring it on Ivan.

Goblin- A Goblin scales mountains
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

those 'villagers' don't make it if it's too far back behind the lines or there's loads of enemy in the way apparently... Three cheerskis for the people's army!

a gruppengoblin screams in the night?
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

We go on and on and on...

Still no contact with the Greyclads in funny helmets. I don't have a single red dot on my map! Weird, but of course there's lots of trees between us.

Speaking of trees, my Vodka-fueled infantry must make an awful noise advancing. "...*bonk*..Aii.. "#¤%&... Dmitri, pass me the Vodka.. *bonk* .. *bonk*...Piotr, watch that tree! *bonkbonk*...*thud*... " :D Red Army infantry won't qualify for any sprint medals, as they hit every tree on their way. Advance is one hex/turn.

Our (motorized, mind you) vanguard will catch the enemy at any time...or they'll catch us.

I must be the worst artillerist ever. :rolleyes: Seriously, good training scenarios, except the training one (heh), is gladly accepted. My mortar crews are eating mud after two rounds of very accurate German artillery fire, 105mm FH's and a few tubes. They obviously got their ears full with mud as well, since they won't listen to their commanders telling them to re-crew their positions.

On the lighter side, my front units are untouched by the fascist propaganda leaflet bombardments...
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Where's the Commies? This rain is bogging everything down, making movement soooo slow. Here commie, commie, commie, got some vodka for you boy! Thats a boy, just turn your head a little for me as you drink.....:mad: :eek: :D

Truth to tell, I have mostly Rumanians, who's numbers are worse than the Russians. I piled everyone at the retreat hex, and plan on winning with the points I earn from mines and arty!;)

There is a buttload of commie T34E's and MC coming down the south map edge! They smell the vodka....

Goblin- A Goblin sets out Commie-nip:)
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Mmm.. the southern boys certainly smelled the commie-nip. There were some huge 'X'-s painted on the ground as well. Puzzled by this, the MC's and T-34's stopped to take a closer look.... :rolleyes:

How clever of the enemy FO to just paint a big marker on the spot where he had directed the artillery.. :rolleyes: I have to keep that in mind. Fortunately, 60mm ain't enough to crack a tank. Phew.

Now at least I can see the ghostly enemy. If we're doing well tonight, there's gonna be alot more than potatos for us for breakfast! Horses everywhere! Yum! And Kübelwagens! I see them throughout the entire depth of the Goblin area, guess he was looking for the.. uh.. villagers. :D

Oh yeah - seems like Oberst Goblin's divisional HQ has granted him some extra assistance. It started to rain 150's. Aiiie my mortar crews are now 2 feet below surface. *sniff*
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

My Kubelwagens were hell on wheels! Four of them dipersed enemy squads, and ONLY ONE HAD A MACHINEGUN. The others were armed with pistols, but came pulling up, blazing away with the nine mm.

My cavalry and mountain infantry are fighting the local resistance, aided by the local resistance! It seems they have their ranges turned wayyy up, so they are shooting at anything that moves! Don't threaten a Commies Vodka supply!

In the north, A wave of enemy T34E's was just placed under fire by my mortars, but there are alot of MC's too, and they are too hard to lead.

Goblin- A Goblin loves the Walther
Capt. Pixel

Episode I

Post by Capt. Pixel »

So Episode I was "The Phantom Menace"?

and now Episode II "The Attack of the 60' Cloned Goblins"
- or -
"IT Came from Behind the Tree" :D
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Überkübelwagens! :eek:

I think the kubelwagen crews shouted someting about the mc crew's mommy, and they all went home crying. :rolleyes:
The endless bravery of the glorious revolutionary red army has once again been proven, as the Romanian/German artillery proved too much for the southern vanguard. Half went home and the other half won't move an inch forward. Vodka's on its way though, so they'll soon be filled with bravery.

More inching through the soaked forest. A few Rumanian scout teams didn't pull back in time and was shot to pieces (no dispersing here), but otherwise it's still calm all over the front.

Those 120mm mortars are REALLY starting to sting! Ouch! One of my mortar batteries are losing 5 men/turn - to mortar fire!! :mad:
Hopefully, I'm starting to get the fascist tubes from hell where it hurts... sung to the tune of "I'm the King of Wishful Thinking" :D
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

My Kubelwagens continue to rout the Soviets, with yet another kill via pistol. I lost one, however, to a commie MC squad that realized they had rifles!

Rumanian mortars have scored the first armor kill of the battle, getting a T34E with a 60mm. I can see a crapload of enemy tanks in the south, but they are all heading the wrong way! I thought Russians were stupid. Doesn't seem like it.

Goblin- A Goblin waves bye bye:p
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

My my.. if I had played GE, those Kubelwagens would be burned up, routed and blasted to heaven without even a scratch on the Soviet MC squads This is dumb. Anyway, I got a Uberkubelwagen with a friggin T-34! :mad: A Goblin needs no tanks.

Woo-hoo, some "villagers" started a bbq right among Goblins lines! They infiltrated within an infantry squad sitting right between two PanzerIII's. What to do? Ofcourse, they fired at the squad in the same hex, and the Panzers were more than willing to assist them! Scratch one fascist squad to the cost of one (1) downed civilian (he got a splinter in his thumb) :D :D

Up north, a Rumanian infantry got lucky with their molotovs and managed to toast the a second T-34.

Some of the crews are still a bit shaky from the last round, so they decided to turn around yet again due to the artillery fire. The larger enemy tubes are still wreaking hell around my battery park. Meanwhile, I don't have ONE F-ING TUBE AVAILABLE!! That's friggin' IT, I'm calling in the entire Corps Artillery on his a$$! :mad:
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

No tubes available? I was hoping you had no tubes left!!! I've been punding them from turn one, with every 120mm tube I had, plus all of my 105's!

Unbelievably, my Kuebelwagens scored no kills, despite trying. I have even suffered casualties! (Apperently their pistols and MG's don't hurt tanks, go figure:( )

First time that I have seen this much Soviet armor moving towards me! I had forgotten what the front of a T34E looked like. Pretty scary!:eek:

Goblin- A Goblin realizes he will have to fight after all;)
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

The southern vanguard managed, despite heavy suppression, to crush a few Uberkubelwagens. More scouts! And they're deadly! A puny 4-man team simply climbed up on the leading T-34 and knocked;

"Who's dat?" was heard from within the tank
"It's Svetlana - I have Vodka for you" the scout replied in a high-pitched voice.
Tank hatch opens, scouts toss a few grenades and molotovs inside *kbooom*

A word of wisdom: NEVER underestimate the power of Rumanian Munte infantry! They are deadlier than German rifle squads at close range. I actually had to check that I wasn't facing Pioniere or Spec Ops. They claimed one of the Red Army's adacious tanks in the north along with a buttload of MC's. :( The MC company remembered that they're about to miss a poker game at the barracks, and are darting top speed towards the rear area to make it in time. Bikers... :rolleyes:

The enemy continues to rain mortar grenades over the lines, mostly 60mm. Not too much harm done, but I'm really worried about that '34 taking 15 hits...*bonkbonkbonkbonkbonkbonk*

The quality of Soviet craftmanship is starting to show, as I'm suffering Hellcat-ish rates of breakdowns. It doesn't help that the halted tanks are caught in the grenadestorms either. Now get out and fix that suspension!

A faint crackle was heard over the FO's radios, enough for them to simultaneously shout "KEEP FIRING AS ORDERED!". Nice to see some two-way traffic in the air :) :)
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Cleared out some additional pitchfork weilding villagers. They grow like weeds. I have been forced to ease the heavy bombardment of the commie mortars, and shift the tubes to the line. Rewarded by casualties just ahead, in the trees. Those are German recon patrols, no molotovs, instead you get AT mines! I think that this fight is about to get serious....:mad:

Goblin- A Goblin slams closed the breech:mad:
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Ouch! The only ones doing any progress are my Pitchfork Units. Toasted a PzIII, hooray.

Otherwise it's a battle of moving one step forward and two backwards. The recon units, munte infantry, panzerIII's, mortars, dwelling rabbits, trees, etc. are ALL having 100% success versus my T's! One shot - kaboom! How ingenious of comrade Stalin to issue cardboard hulls instead of armored ones! :mad: :mad:

Goblin has adopted a strategy of holding back letting me punch myself bloody on his defenses and use the artillery to do the rest. Well, two can play that game! (when I get in contact with my artillery, that is :rolleyes: )
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

That strategy was forced on me by the influx in my rear areas! Well, no more! Rumanian Mountain Infantry, spurred on by earlier successes (and German tanks;) ) surge forward, swarming over several T34's. The first tank on tank casualty occurs when a PzIIIL slams an APCR round thru the side of a Commie T34. Russian MC troops in the north and south die by the score in the face of the advance. I won't demand a surrender. There will be no prisoners. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Goblin- A Goblin goes hunting:mad:
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Come and get me, Fritz! :mad:

The motorcyclists seem hell-bent on making it to that card game - they even pop smoke well behind the own front line :rolleyes: I'll have the NKVD command deal with them later!

My back area looks like the surface of the moon, but the people's proud Artillery managed to put a few grenades down the tubes this time! Too bad the FO's went for a coffee break, so all rounds fell into an orchard right between the lines. It's a moral victory, nonetheless :)
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

My scouts have located several T34E's hull-down on a ridge in the distance! They are gonna be rough getting out of there! A T34 near my lines claimed a PzIIIL with a side shot, as I tried to flank his wingman! More MC troops die, and a PzIIIL gets another T34. The advance slows a little, as Rumanian troops are actually shot at.

Goblin- A Goblin looks for his whip:mad:
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

As expected, the Goblinite artillery is turning its' attention to the southern hill, where 2 groups of VH's are located.

More close to the Rumanian/Fritzie lines, the advance has ground to a halt for both sides. Losses in armor are appalling, but there's plenty more where that came from! Care for seconds, comrade colonel Goblin? ;)

Both the north and south vanguards are in a middle of a chaotic bloodbath, fighting is up close and personal with losses on both sides. PzIIIs, StuG40s and infantry.

Our spotters on the ridge has seen PzIV's approaching the center orchard. Will they try to break through there, when everything else is at a standstill? Hah. they might try! The glorious people's army of the Revolution does not fear the fascists and their henchmen!
Got StuG?

Return to “SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame”