approaching a clearing

Share your best tactics, strategies and gameplay tips with other gamers here.

Moderator: rickier65

general_solomon

approaching a clearing

Post by general_solomon »

Mod, please move if this in the wrong section.

hey guys, I wanted to get everyones advice on how best to approach a clearing from the woods where the objective is to get to another section. Meanwhile, between the clear and objective is patches of woods that could hide potential AT or other infantry.

my example would be the German scenario on the demo.

also, what is the best order for infantry and armor when reaching the edge of woods.

thanks,

Gen. Solomon
junk2drive

RE: approaching a clearing

Post by junk2drive »

This is the correct section.

Woods in PC is not a force field. It doesn't hurt to check LOS through a woods before you move into them and as you move through them. Not moving gives the best spotting. Slow moving is next. If you get to the edge of a woods and haven't taken fire yet, maybe there is nothing out there. Engage>Move out into the open could inspire your opponent to open fire. That depends on your opponent's orders as far as hold fire options. A good order would be Defend>Stay for the platoon and Defend>Move for a squad. That is limited to 19 meters. If you play slow and patient, you can alternate squads with a bound type action where some are stationary and looking while others are slow moving short distances.

Having tanks with you and behind will give you something to fire at any enemy that may appear and/or start firing.

Tanks alone is a little tougher and hopefully you won't have tanks alone.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
henri51

Post by henri51 »

If the open field is rather large and you can spare it, you could use smoke to cover your advance, and/or an artillery barrage on the woods behind the fields, if you think there is a high probability that enemies are there. A good example is one of the tutorial scenarios, where that is exactly the case and where the player is told to use smoke. A 150 mm artillery barrage can really do a job on a bunch of enemies.

I always forget that each infantry squad has one smoke grenade, which can be a lifesaver until the artillery barrage arrives (that one-turn delay (2 turns for the Soviets) can feel like an eternity when your infantry is being plastered by a bunch of enemy units.

Henri
general_solomon

a good strategy, thanks a bunch. I will emply the new tactics and report back. I for one do not like to rush. taking it slow is how i play. I hate game where there is a time limit.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I remembered a MP battle with me as Soviets. No matter what I tried I was getting slaughtered. Finally I resorted to using the Charge order with as many platoons as I could muster toward an outnumbered enemy. The enemy MGs and guns could not retarget fast enough to keep up with all the squads I was sending and I eventually flanked the enemy and took him out.

Not every advise works in every situation.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
general_solomon

understood. you have to learn the basics and the mechanics of the game sorta like learning an instrument. once learned, you can then start making music.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Very good analogy.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “The War Room”