New rules of movement (1.09)

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

terminator

RE: New rules of movement (1.09)

Post by terminator »

This is due to the enemies' ZOC, it reduces the movement points to the point where the unit cannot enter that hex.
The problem is that enemies' ZOC of hidden units should not influence the pathfinding with Fog of war activated.

Version 1.09 preview without FOW :
Attachments
Zhitomir013.jpg
Zhitomir013.jpg (474.06 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,
ORIGINAL: Zovs

Thanks Ronald

You are welcome.
ORIGINAL: klhbekool

Ronald,thanks again for all that you have put into this game.[&o]
[&o]

Thanks. Getting support and cheers is contributing to the struggle. And an end (the release of 1.09) is in sight.

ORIGINAL: terminator

This is due to the enemies' ZOC, it reduces the movement points to the point where the unit cannot enter that hex.
The problem is that enemies' ZOC of hidden units should not influence the pathfinding with Fog of war activated.

Its true that this can be used to identify locations of enemy units and its not ideal. I remember having seen this problem long ago (during the making of the A-A campaign) and there was no fast/easy solution to this. Maybe now it can be done (its a question of the amount of programming time). I will let you know.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

If it takes too much programming time, this feature can be explained with intelligence. The divisional recon unit spotted enemy patrols in the area (although it could not get information about what enemy force controls the area and how strong it is) and advised the division commander not to go there.

The same feature works for aircraft, which can be explained by skilled German interrogators like Major von Boehm from the Americam training film ''Resisting Enemy Interrogation.'' I would not want to be interrogated by him. Since I like to talk, he would announce that they have decided not to interrogate me because I have no valuable information anyway, then offer me a bottle of red wine and start what seems to be an innocent chat (in reality, make statements that provoke my answers on topics interesting for him, and all that with a friendly smile) and by the end of interrogation I would have become a traitor without even noticing that.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

if there is too much effort, we have no choice but leave it the way it is. Nice story though [:D]

@termniator: btw. nice thread to check on all those situations in detail. Already helped to fix a small bug (forgot to change the numbers in one of the tool tips back)
terminator

Post by terminator »

Transport vehicles do not yet have the new rules of movement.

For example, the movement rules for Trucks are identical in 1.08 and in 1.09 preview :
Attachments
movementsnow0000.jpg
movementsnow0000.jpg (236.4 KiB) Viewed 362 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Another example, the movement rules for Halftracks are identical in 1.08 and in 1.09 preview :
Attachments
movementn..20001.jpg
movementn..20001.jpg (259.39 KiB) Viewed 362 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Logically, Halftracks transport should have the same movement penalty as Panzerwerfer 42 or Wurfrahmen 40 (Snow -> +6).

Simulation in blue of Halftrack transport movement penalties in Snow :
Attachments
movementn..20001b.jpg
movementn..20001b.jpg (264.35 KiB) Viewed 362 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

All wheeled vehicles (PSW 222, Sd.Kfz 231, Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma, Truck Transport...) do not currently have any movement penalty in the snow :
Attachments
movementn..20002.jpg
movementn..20002.jpg (248.67 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

the new narrative goes like this:

The recently appointed commander of the 101.s.Pz.Abt. uses a map of all the landscape features to plot the advance of his unit towards northeast of Zhitomir. The snow and the clouds and the pressure of the mission results in poor intelligence about what might be in that area. The commander gives the order to move out anyway hoping to gain glory.

Attachments
ZhitomirSaga1.jpg
ZhitomirSaga1.jpg (529.04 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Then just before the Tigers reach the outskirts of Zhitomir and the main road they run into prepared and experienced Soviet units. Salvos burst out of the wall of snow, some men panic and two tigers crush into each other rendering them unmovable for the time being.
Whenever the enemy is in clear sight, the Tigers inflict heavy losses. But the commander knows he made a bad move by trusting the odds of a free passage and glory is slipping away. Scouting will be increased from now on.

Or in clear language, now the ZOCs are not factored into the range preview of a unit. It was not the big deal to include i had in my memory which might indicate i am getting old [:D]

terminator: Yes the transports have no auto_upgrades (the function that enables situation based changes in the values) and sadly they won't get them in 1.09.

Attachments
ZhitomirSaga2.jpg
ZhitomirSaga2.jpg (558.69 KiB) Viewed 362 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt
Or in clear language, now the ZOCs are not factored into the range preview of a unit. It was not the big deal to include i had in my memory which might indicate i am getting old [:D]
I look forward to testing the new pathfinding without the ZOCs.

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt
terminator: Yes the transports have no auto_upgrades (the function that enables situation based changes in the values) and sadly they won't get them in 1.09.
Will the transports get "auto_upgrades" in 1.10 ?

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi terminator,

hopefully you will be able to test it very soon.

As to what feature could be in 1.10 - i would rather first finalize 1.09 and then after a break think about a possible 1.10 and its content.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”