The Cherkassy Option

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
ladner

The Cherkassy Option

Post by ladner »

First off, I am not sure how this would fare against a human opponent, but against the Soviet AI it paid off big dividends. As the subject implied I launched an attack towards Cherkassy. My main interest in capturing the town was to see the effect of alert points on the overall game.

To conduct the assualt I used the 5 SS Pz Wiking and SS Wallonien Brigade. It took roughly three turns once the initial line of strong points was penetrated to take the town, which the AI did a very poor job of defending. The axis of the assualt was along the road towards Cherkassy. I found that once the road was cut the proper use of interdiction markers caused the AI to retreat to reestablish supply which made things easier. However, I must say in the AI's defence, that it did cut off my supply line once Cherkassy fell and the units of the Wiking were down to their last bullet when I had to assualt through the strong points along the North of the pocket perimeter (when I have access to the game map I will add a geographic reference). As the Germans you do not have enough troops to maintain a supply line, which lead to some interesting moments.

The rewards in terms of alert points is staggering, I netted roughly 13 points of infantry replacements and 10 points of armoured replacements and the 2 FJ Division. The replacements were enough to bring the 3rd, 11th, and 14th Panzer all up to full strength.

In terms of over all planning a wise German commander would probably try to time the assualt on Cherkassy to coincide with arrival of units such as the 13th, 16th, and 17th Panzer which all seem to be depleted upon arrival to the front and in need of reinforcement. Good luck though in trying to time this, as frequently by this stage you are most likely under considerable pressure.

Post by 1945 »

gfish22 wrote:First off, I am not sure how this would fare against a human opponent, but against the Soviet AI it paid off big dividends. As the subject implied I launched an attack towards Cherkassy. My main interest in capturing the town was to see the effect of alert points on the overall game.

To conduct the assualt I used the 5 SS Pz Wiking and SS Wallonien Brigade. It took roughly three turns once the initial line of strong points was penetrated to take the town,
Thats an interesting option but seems like a risky maneuver when you consider the likelihood of entrapment and the need for those forces towards the base of the pocket. Also Ive only played the scenerio once (full campaign) and I never had any control over the SS Wallonien forces. Any clue as to why this is?
ladner

Post by ladner »

If there are strong points associated with Wallonien you will not be able to deploy the brigade. You have to recall the strong points. The strategy was risky, even against the AI.
BrubakerII

Post by BrubakerII »

1945 the Wallonien units (as most of the north western units) have to be released from their frontier duties after turn 3 to be used manually. The button is on the unitl control panel near where reinforcement steps are allocated.

gfish this is a wonderful strategy - against the AI. Unfortunately against a human opponent there are three things working against you.

Firstly the (meagre) units around Cherkassy are quite capable of forming a supplied entrenched defence in terrible terrain.

Secondly it is quite easy to transport 'excess' units to the area in a single turn.

And lastly, by committing the 5th SS and 'W' units to this front you leave an open and unsupported front to the south that I can guarentee a human would exploit to your detriment.

Still - it sounds like fun so I am going to give it a go. Anytime you want to paly h2h let me know though ;)

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
WachtamRhein

Maneuver

Post by WachtamRhein »

1945, when you go on the unit (Wallonien-SS Brigade) you have to click on the little SP thingie on the bit where it tells you strength of unit. (Release SP's). Ladner, i'd find that tactic a bit dangerous. I'd say just do it with the 5th SS Panzer's Recon Battalion.

Return to “The War Room”