A Midway Full of Surprises

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.
Adam Parker

A Midway Full of Surprises

Post by Adam Parker »

I've played this scen as the US so many times. I'd rank it as a classic, the "Guard's Counterattack" equivalent of the old Squad Leader, a scenario that if in the office and lucky enough to get CAW onto your PC, something you'd like to fire up in between clients, in between meetings (at meetings!) or with the morning brew!

I've had utter defeats and outright wins but this was the best experience yet - a US Marginal Victory by the skin of my teeth.

This one started shortly after dawn with my land based air at Midway catching the Jap flat tops to the surprise of all - including me. And these fly boys actually started to hit things, all four carriers ablaze.

This episode was the closest thing to history that I'd experienced so far - a game of punch and counter-punch, for once not knowing if I had fought enough. And at one point I thought about throwing it in.

Then it came to the stage where I had no flight decks left! I'd seen the Soryu break off and the Hiryu sink...

Could I hold an invasion off with my cruisers alone? Would more enemy planes swarm me again?

Then at dawn with 2 days to go, the waters suddenly went silent. My goodness, what shape was the enemy in?

I'd actually come through! And I had cripples to assure me of something bigger than a draw. Bless the Yorktown and Hornet, they somehow stayed afloat. I'd never seen that before and virtual history was written.

Bloody good stuff SSG [:D]

Attachments
MarginalUS.jpg
MarginalUS.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 251 times

Return to “After Action Reports”