Can individual ships be detached?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
Brian_

Can individual ships be detached?

Post by Brian_ »

Hey Gents,

I'm new to this game but I was wondering if its possible to detach individual ships from a Task Group? It seems that if one ship is damaged to the extent that its slowing down everyone else, the TG is doomed to move around at a crawl until the slower ship finally gets sunk.[:@]
GenChaos33

RE: Can individual ships be detached?

Post by GenChaos33 »

Note that this is a scenario creation issue, not a problem with the game. Either the scenario creator did not want you to be able to detach the ship/class, or he forgot to include it in the scenario.

Yes, I agree that you should be able to do it. Thats why I try to include it in my CAW MP campaign scenarios. But I must admit that with all things to do in creating a scenario, its very easy to forget things.
Brian_

Post by Brian_ »

If its possible through the game mechanics, can you explain how its done?
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

If I understand you correctly and the CAW game, you want to go the game/scenario editor. Load the scenario you want to modify. Note: Do a save as and rename. Keep from messing up original. Go to ship list and/or carrier list. Mark all the vessels that you want to be able to have the ability to detach by checking the crippled box. Then you need to go to the warroom and edit the warcards. Go to the TG warcards and add/modify the TG Breakdown Response action. From my experience, a Breakdown Response action needs to be done for EACH vessel and EACH TG warcard. (this might be why its not available in official scenarios, this can be a lot of work). Hope I got it right. 
Brian_

Post by Brian_ »

Thanks, General.

Sounds rather involved....I gather that its not a normal function in any of the default scenarios?

On an unrelated topic, do yoou know why my signature picture isn't showing up? I checked the box in my profile so that it would show up and re-checked the link to the pic to verify that it was vaild....
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: Brian_

Hey Gents,

I'm new to this game but I was wondering if its possible to detach individual ships from a Task Group? It seems that if one ship is damaged to the extent that its slowing down everyone else, the TG is doomed to move around at a crawl until the slower ship finally gets sunk.[:@]

Ships can be detached, if the scenario designer thinks that they warrant such treatment. A detached ships forms its own TG under AI control and does its best to retreat. We don't allow this for every ship, because we might end up with large numbers of single ship TGs which would confuse both the player and the AI.

Lesser ships can be scuttled, once their speed falls below a certain value. The tutorial covers the details on how to detach or scuttle ships.

If you wish to make a ship able to be detached, just go into the Editor, load a Scenario and hit the Edit Ships button. There is an Edit Box labelled Cripple. If you enable this then the ship can be detached.

If you go into the Edit Carriers section you will see that carriers always have this option set.

Please make sure that you do such editing to a copy of any of the original scenarios.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
Brian_

Post by Brian_ »

Gregor,

Thanks for the great information.[:)]

Can you tell how to detach ships while in the game, please?
Yamato9

Post by Yamato9 »

Hello!

Although in particular i dont like carrier warfare (traditional gun range naval battles are more of my taste) i found that CAW is rather interesting game. More or less i passed over all flaws (Task groups are anchored during strike, small number of scenarios, rather simplified carrier and ship operations..etc,etc,) of this game but this inability of DETACHING ships from TF´s is totally disasterous for game realism. I mean, lack of this option degrades this interesting game in level below average naval simulation. Games more than a decade older than CAW,...GNB series, TF 1942, Dreadnoughts...they all haved detach option, because this is one of main factors for using a fleet in common sense. I almost lost entire carrier group because one heavy damaged destroyer which one i could not detach. Carriers and cruisers capable of 30+ knots limped with 6-12 kts damaged destroyer.. what a farce!

OK, I didnt come here to spit on this nice game but to point out how big drawback this is. My opinion is that "detach" option should be placed in game by default and not if scenario designer wanted this, or to wait that ship speed falls below 4-5 kts to get that or scuttle option.

Is there any chance in future that we will see some next update with this option?
and
Is there any way to edit warcards or something else in editor to achive that ship which speed fall from, lets say... 34 kt to 28 kt become detachable?

Thanks!
Darth Holliday

Post by Darth Holliday »

ORIGINAL: Yamato9

Hello!

Although in particular i dont like carrier warfare (traditional gun range naval battles are more of my taste) i found that CAW is rather interesting game. More or less i passed over all flaws (Task groups are anchored during strike, small number of scenarios, rather simplified carrier and ship operations..etc,etc,) of this game but this inability of DETACHING ships from TF´s is totally disasterous for game realism. I mean, lack of this option degrades this interesting game in level below average naval simulation. Games more than a decade older than CAW,...GNB series, TF 1942, Dreadnoughts...they all haved detach option, because this is one of main factors for using a fleet in common sense. I almost lost entire carrier group because one heavy damaged destroyer which one i could not detach. Carriers and cruisers capable of 30+ knots limped with 6-12 kts damaged destroyer.. what a farce!

OK, I didnt come here to spit on this nice game but to point out how big drawback this is. My opinion is that "detach" option should be placed in game by default and not if scenario designer wanted this, or to wait that ship speed falls below 4-5 kts to get that or scuttle option.

Is there any chance in future that we will see some next update with this option?
and
Is there any way to edit warcards or something else in editor to achive that ship which speed fall from, lets say... 34 kt to 28 kt become detachable?

Thanks!

I guess after a six month wait,the answer still would be a resounding....NO !!! I guess Ill keep my money if support wont even answer your question....
"Let's not forget, George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British. He shot them.”

Return to “Carriers at War Support”