Saipan AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

THG

RE: Saipan AAR

Post by THG »

Turn 17 - A bit more pounding, and I finally knock out the arty units. That's it, not much more I can do.

Attachments
turn17end.jpg
turn17end.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 264 times
THG

Post by THG »

End - Here's the AAR screen, a marginal victory, I am a bit dissapointed, and am left with a feeling that I should have been more aggressive, both on attack and perhaps on using the OMA for landing in different places. All in all, I enjoyed the game play, and the ebb and flow of battle is very convincing. I would be happy if anyone can pitch in and add their remarks, especially critical ones with advice by their side :)

Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Attachments
endofgame.jpg
endofgame.jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 264 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Very nice AAR.  You made it very clear to understand what was going on in the battle.  Congrats on the victory!  I've not played the scenario, so I'm not sure if there are any tips I could give. 

Did you capture all of your objectives? If not, that may have been enough to put you with a higher victory level.  You still won though, so you did the job. [;)]
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

nicely done! I just finished up Saipan vrs AI+ aswell.

My fourth start or so but first finish after a few head scratching restarts getting to know the game mechanics. My first try I didn't know to unload on the beach ( things got ugly real fast in that one...).

Fourth time's a charm - I focused on linking up both landings right away and found it made a huge difference in getting more room to land replacements and increase supply range. I delayed with the 2nd at the north beachhead and swept east and then north with everything else. This seemed to force the AI into moving to try and hold me in the south, but a breakthrough at the town north of the Airfield on the east coast and it was all over for the AI. It then shifted around the mountain and i was able to breakout north on the west road on my way to a 768 point victory! Only 3 units lost to 43 AI counters !

If the AI was to hold a combat unit in reserve at its supply/headquaters locations I think this scenario would be a tougher nut to crack?
Wilhammer

Post by Wilhammer »

An invasion definitely helps - your AAR inspired me to try it with a simple invasion of elements of the 4th on the East beaches - this crushed their supply situation early, and forced the AI to Split forces. All other units came onto the initial beach heads.

Also, at about your turn 5 situation, I rushed units through the gap, even extended move ones, in order to block the retreat from the south of the Jap forces - this allowed me to crush them sooner.

Also, after I got my HQs and Trucks off the beaches, I did not move them at all - this kept the supply flowing faster and thus allowed more combat ops.

My final score was over 1100 points.

Return to “After Action Reports”