Game won't start

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
MikeC317

Game won't start

Post by MikeC317 »

My game won't start. I bought it a few years ago and as far as I can remember, it has never run for me. So, I resolved to get it running, I mean I paid for it, I should get to use it. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same problem as before. The typical Matrix start menu comes up but no options on the left side of the menu work ("play," "check for update," etc..) When I click on them nothing happens. The links on the right side of the screen work "Forums," "support," etc..) Those work, at least the ones I have tried. Anybody know how to get this thing running? I'm using Windows 10, GTX 1050TI if that means anything. I have good luck in general with these older matrix titles and I'm running REALLY old stuff in dosBox, I'm surprised this won't work for me.
MikeC317

RE: Game won't start

Post by MikeC317 »

Oh yeah, I forgot to say: I went to the game folder and sent a copy of the icon to the desktop (to make a shortcut.) Just to see what happened. when I clicked it, Gimp 2.1 started! [:D][:D] So, I thought I did something wrong and I tried it again. Same thing! IDK, somebody knowledgeable please help. I checked my audio and video drivers, Windows claims they are up to date.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I'm not sure that I can help right off. I just loaded my copy and it came up without any problems.

Have you checked the Windows event log? Perhaps there might be an error captured there?

You might also want to run dxdiag, save and post the dxdiag.txt file.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
MikeC317

Post by MikeC317 »

Hi! sorry, I didn't check this for a while. I don't think it is really installing. When I go to uninstall the game, Windows (Win10,) doesn't list it among the installed software. So I tried a utility called Glary and it doesn't find it either. What I do get is a folder with the typical Matrix start menu/program, the links on the right work, but the buttons on the left do not. also in the folder are the icon and a couple of .dll files. The download seems to be an appropriate size,1 gigabyte, approximately. Do you think I need to run the installer in a compatibility mode or something?
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

It has been awhile since I installed it. Apparently, you can see the folder it created for the install. That is odd that it isn't unpacking the CW2.exe file, but it is unpacking the DLLs.

It does sound like it isn't installing properly. Have you checked the Windows event logs? Some installers will report their errors there.

You may also want to look at the logs of the AV software that you're running to see if it has quarantined the EXE file. Some AV are more aggressive about that than others.

HTH
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
MikeC317

Post by MikeC317 »

Hmmm, I hadn't considered the AV software. Really the only one I use is the one that comes with windows. I'll look into it. I'm pretty hopeless with some of this stuff, as you can probably tell. Basically, I need stuff to work when I double click on it. If it doesn't, hoo boy, I'm lost. Windows activity logs? I'll have too google that. Hey man, thanks for your help!
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

The Windows event log can be accessed from the Control Panel -> Administration Tools, it is labeled as Event Viewer.

Another thought occurred to me, are you running the install with admin privileges? Usually you don't have to, but sometimes these issues are just somethings silly like that.

I'm including a screenshot of how my folder looks with a successful install. My install as been updated to v1.06.03 and I also have the Bloody Road South DLC so the file sizes my not be the same if you're doing a fresh install with the v1 setup file.

Attachments
CW2_Setup.jpg
CW2_Setup.jpg (139.13 KiB) Viewed 632 times

Return to “Tech Support”