150th Anniversary

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

histgamer

150th Anniversary

Post by histgamer »

Scourge of War Chancellorsville
May 1st, 1863
CV01: The Opening Clash
Brigade level scenario
Playing as William Mahone

Result: Decisive defeat (But I didn't play the objective)

In this battle you take on the role of William Mahone leading McClaws division as it races toward Chancellorsville to respond to Hooker's flanking of the entire Confederate army which was encamped at Fredricksburg. Historically Mahone and elements of McClaws division took up a defensive posture and were attacked by General George Skyes division, later in the day a confederate maneuver threatened Skyes flank and prompted a withdrawal. The first days action and Hooker's failure to press on pinned the Union troops back in the wilderness and helped facilitate the dramatic flanking maneuver which would crush the Union army's right flank on May 2nd.

In this scenario I ignored the objective points and decided to play more aggressively, charging my brigade forward and smashing Skyes lead brigade before it could properly deploy from column formation. I think bore the brunt of the rest of his division and by the end of the action both Skyes division and my own Brigade were very shot up, still the historical outcome probably would have resulted given Skyes division was probably in worse shape than it was historically.

Video of the Action
Zap

RE: 150th Anniversary

Post by Zap »

Flanboy
I too tried the same aggresive attack. With similar results. I was thinking of trying an aggresive attack with a quick retreat to reform futher back. But Skyes other units come rather quickly.

I have to say I'm enjoying this game. I just wish I could get a top view. Somehow I got it one time. But could not get it again. I'm having trouble moving from different brigades in battle with my mouse.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Thanks Flanyboy,

I enjoyed the video and the historical commentary.

Thanks
Rick
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

May 2nd, 1863
CV05: Rebel Yells Spawn Wilderness Hell
Division level scenario
Playing as Charles Devens
Result: Decisive Victory

In this battle you take on the role of the least enviable Division Commander in the entire Union Army on May 2nd, Charles Devens, commander of the Union division that bore the brunt of Jackson's flank attack on May 2nd.

Historically the Division broke and was driven from the field within 20 minutes. In this scenario however you are not routed as the game starts, rather you're caught in a poor position but your troops will not instantly rout. This may have accurately simulated what would have happened had the Union troops taken advantage of Hooker's warnings and put pickets out while still failing to entrench or re-position themselves.

As Charles Devans your not going to "win" this battle, it's your small division vs Jackson's corps, but your goal is to delay the Confederates and hold a series of 3 objectives long enough to buy the rest of the army time to recover from the attack. I succeeded in that. I quickly shifted Von Glisa's brigade and held for 15 minutes or so before ordering a retreat. I retreated before the brigade broke in order to save the Brigade for fighting later if I would need it. A further line with my second Brigade held for 20+ minutes, as it had plenty of time to get into a blocking position right in-front of a clearing in the Wilderness. That Brigade was eventually compelled to withdraw but I held the Confederates long enough for a major victory and my two brigades were still in pretty good shape and re-formed up on the 3rd defensive line. Had Devens reacted more like Carl Schurz and had his Division been alerted Jackson's attack may have ended very differently.

Video of the Action
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Congrats, that is a tough scenario, Major Victories MUST be earned. Very nice narrative, I enjoy your presentations and learn stuff to boot. Thanks Flany...
Designer - Scourge of War
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I am a bit late on this one. I posted these yesterday and today but I Figured I would put them up here as I put the first two.

The first scenario is from May 3rd, you command Ramseur's Brigade but the point of the video was more to give a perspective of HITS than to actually win a battle. It's a fun battle to watch really as the AI way outruns me, I honestly wasn't sure where to go on the map once the objective disappeared but it's easy to get disoriented when playing with HITS.

Scourge of war Chancellorsville
May 3rd 1863
CV11: Ramseur's Bold Initiative.
Brigade Level Scenerio
Playing as Stephen Ramseur
Result: Major Defeat

May 3rd 1863

The Second Scenario found me commanding a division during the battle of Second Fredricksburg on May 4th 1863. My Division has great ground, occupying a ridge-line that's heavily wooded and overlooks an open plane where the confederates must cross open ground to get at me but unfortunately for me I am far too spread out and get pounded and never really reorganize. Instead I try and crush the exposed Confederate flank but before I can do they split my line wide open and separate me from the rest of the Union Army. I definitely damage them pretty substantially but I have no line of retreat as the battle concludes and would have been in serious trouble if this was more than a single battle simulation.

May 4th, 1863
CV19: Violence Never Before Encountered
Division Level Scenario
Playing As Brigadier General Albion Howell
Result: Decisive Defeat

May 4th, 1863
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I did a three video series on the Battle of Gettysburg for it's 150th Anniversary. Here are the videos and AAR's below from start to finish. I intended to post these sooner, they've been on YouTube for awhile now but between the wedding and honeymoon I've been a bit busy.

I hope you enjoy.

July 1st, 1863 - Part 1

July 2nd, 1863 - Part 2

July 3rd, 1863 - Part 3

Return to “After Action Reports”