I Wish I was in the Land of Cotton...

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.
John 3rd

I Wish I was in the Land of Cotton...

Post by John 3rd »

Hello. It is my intention to run an AAR covering a game about to start between Nemo and myself. I have been concerned over the lack of activity on this Forum and thought that--perhaps--this might help.

Nemo and I are both WitP players who are awaiting Admiral's Edition to come out sometime in the next ten-twelve years! [:D][>:][:D] I have played these games extensively and look forward to playing a real, human opponent.

We have decided the play the 'Daddy of them all'---GETTYSBURG! I will be commanding the Army of Northern Virginia and am reasonably certain that I can do far better then Robert Edward Lee on those three fateful days.

Initial Planning:
1. I am going to let the battle open with Heth vs. Buford coming down the Chambersburg Pike. As that battle heats up I want to draw Nemo's 1st Corps into that area. It'll be a see-saw slugfest where my extra artillery should help.
2. Pender's Division will be used to hit the Union Left Flank. I will angle their attack towards distant 'clump of trees' on Cemetary Ridge.

I will post a screenshot in just a minute.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Initial Moves

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the map:

Attachments
OpeningPlans.jpg
OpeningPlans.jpg (239.1 KiB) Viewed 676 times

John 3rd

An Introduction

Post by John 3rd »

I should share with readers a bit about myself:

I'm John R. Cochran, III, am 42, married to wife Paula, and have two young sons--John (4 1/2) and Chrisopher (2).  I've been in education for the last 17 years of my life.  I've taught some High School but mainly teach History at the collegiate level.  I love military history and the Civil War comes directly after World War Two for direct reading and teaching interests.

Thought I am a balanced teacher of the Civil War (I like to confuse my students by referring to battles by both their Northern (Standard) name as well as by their Southern title.  Drives the kids nuts but I enjoy it a lot.  Am a HUGE fan of anything new that has come out on the war.  If someone reads a good, new book on the subject PLEASE post and let me know!  Love good Civil War History!

I forgot how fast the beginning of Gettysburg is.  As a 'meeting' engagement it will be a see-saw battle throughout the first day.  I hopes are to DESTROY the 1st and 11th Corps and end up with some portion of the traditional Union line.  Realistically I want either Culp's Hill or Little Round Top.  We'll see what Fionn (Nemo) will do to deny me this.

John 3rd

Opening Rounds

Post by John 3rd »

Fionn elects to fallback slightly. I'm not sure if he will fight hard here or not. He had better make me pay for every inch of turf or I will sweep up onto those very NICE hills behind his command!

[:D][:D]

Attachments
Turn2.jpg
Turn2.jpg (220.72 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

Initial Deployment

Post by John 3rd »

Fionn and I have been having issues with email. He is in Great Britain and that makes things more interesting with time difference.

Here is my planned set-up:

Attachments
FirstDeployment.jpg
FirstDeployment.jpg (221.03 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Vaevictis_386

RE: Initial Deployment

Post by Vaevictis_386 »

Looks to be a promising AAR!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thank You!  I have watched and commented on this Forum since the Battleground's were released and have always been concerned that there had only been one AAR here.  I wanted to try and correct that.  I'm in the process of getting Nemo to write the other side.  We'll see if he will...

Dazooz2

Post by Dazooz2 »

Good stuff, keep it going.  
John 3rd

Once More Unto the Breach...

Post by John 3rd »

The first two Brigades of Heth's Division deploy with two more coming up fast. Pegram's Artillery Battalion will be making it pretty warm for Buford's Cavalry this turn!

Attachments
840am.jpg
840am.jpg (232.86 KiB) Viewed 675 times

John 3rd

RE: Once More Unto the Breach...

Post by John 3rd »

Thank you Dazooz!  Welcome to the AAR.

If Fionn doesn't move his Infantry too quickly, I hope to sweep around the Union left and right and force him quickly back to Seminary Ridge.  If this can be done for little cost to Heth's Division then I am in great position to attack the future Union line when Pender's Division arrives.

We should get a lot more in tomorrow since I won't be in Court!

IronWarrior

RE: Once More Unto the Breach...

Post by IronWarrior »

John,

Thanks for this AAR, glad to see you found a ready opponent! I've been playing some pbem games and might be ready to be your next opponent :D.

Sorry for breaking in on the topic, just wanted to say thanks for the AAR... much appreciated!

Bill
John 3rd

Once More Unto the Breach...

Post by John 3rd »

IronWarrior and anyone else--please jump in with your thoughts, comments, and critique. I love getting those when writing an AAR. It really helps to spice things up and turn it into a learning experience.

Confederate Artillery Opens up:

Attachments
840am2.jpg
840am2.jpg (234.08 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

So close!

Post by John 3rd »

Fionn realizes that putting CORPS Commander out in an exposed position MAY be dangerous! I can't capture him but will try to SHOOT/CHARGE him during the firing phases...

Attachments
9am.jpg
9am.jpg (228.43 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

So close!

Post by John 3rd »

An easy first mile to the TRUE goal of Culp's Hill, Cemetary Ridge, and the Round Tops...

Attachments
920am.jpg
920am.jpg (241.47 KiB) Viewed 678 times

John 3rd

Oak Hill Crossed

Post by John 3rd »

Heth's Division moves forward in two elements. Additional artillery is coming up to lend support for the assault on Seminary Ridge.

Attachments
Morning.jpg
Morning.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

Now we have a TRUE AAR!

Post by John 3rd »

I am excited that Nemo has decided to run an AAR to coincide with mine! This should be a great time.

Wadsworth's Division deploys straight into battle and managed to rout 4 of Heth's regiments. Wadsworth is killed leading a charge at Oak Hill. Union Cavalry overrun a Confederate Battery destroying it.

All Confederate artillery goes into Battery and will pound the Union troops this turn.

I want to hold Oak Hill while sending Pender's two Brigades directly into action so I can grab the Seminary.

Attachments
1020am.jpg
1020am.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

Heth Repulsed!

Post by John 3rd »

The situations becomes confusing when Heth's two Brigades on the left are thrown out of the woods by Wadsworth and Buford. The two right Brigades have isolated two Cavalry Regiments in the woods and will destroy them.

A second Union Infantry Division has been spotted entering Gettysburg and will enter the field next turn. Ther eis a 3rd Union Infantry Division somewhere to the Confederate right. I have seen the artillery battery and supply wagon associated with it come down the road, however, no infantry. This concerns me. Perhaps Nemo is trying to move in on my right rear on Herr Ridge. I will move a Brigade over that direction to see...

The quick bid for victory has ended. I will fall back some, unlimber all my artillery batteries, and await the arrival of reinforcements and Robert E. Lee! This is what Heth SHOULD have done on Day 1!

Attachments
1040am.jpg
1040am.jpg (241.14 KiB) Viewed 677 times

John 3rd

The Union Left

Post by John 3rd »

Chaos on the Union left as I withdraw to lure Wadsworth's Division out into the open...

Attachments
11am.jpg
11am.jpg (231.98 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Ashantai

RE: The Union Left

Post by Ashantai »

Great AAR! Please continue.
John 3rd

Union Counterattack on the Right!

Post by John 3rd »

The title says it all, however, life is going to be looking up for the Confederates pretty soon...

Attachments
1140am.jpg
1140am.jpg (246.73 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Return to “After Action Reports”