topics on how to play: initiative

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Treefrog

topics on how to play: initiative

Post by Treefrog »

Until recently there will hundreds of topics with thousands of postings about this game. They are now erased. In order to help newer players I've decided to write some observations and suggestions. I am not brilliant; I don't claim to completely comprehend all the rules so rely on your own reading if mine seems wrong. However, I'm experienced: I was a beta version play tester and have played a few score games from both sides against some excellent players that taught me a lot.

Initiative.

Initiative is critical. Without it the Union can't advance his infantry so the game will be lost. It cannot be overemphasized that the player should read and master the initiative rule at 6.4 including the addendum which has significant changes.

IMHO the key to initiative starts with good theatre commanders (TC). If TC have initiative they can "help" army commanders (AC) within six areas. If an AC is within six areas the TC providing help is shown next to the AC name on Political Status Screen (F11). For the CSA I observe that Memphis and Nashville have good coverage while I build a factory in Atlanta which will serve as the TC HQ when the Trans Mississippi loses importance. Richmond is an obvious choice for the East.

When selecting a TC do the math at page 75 for a list of candidates and choose the candidate with the highest percentage chance of initiative. However, don't select an obviously excellent AC candidate such as Lee, Grant, Sherman, etc.
If two candidates enjoy relative same percentage, select the one with the highest political point adjustment because that TC will give you victory points every turn just for breathing.

The CSA should appoint one of his starting three star generals as a TC the first turn (for political points) and then appoint either Polk or Twiggs as an AC. Polk is a better unit commander so I choose Twiggs and dismiss him later when Lee is available in 1862.

When selecting an AC do the math at page 76 to identify the strongest candidates. Over time a commander's command rating (CR) will increase with victories but their admin and attacking rating typically don't change.

Application: The CSA has good TC and AC leadership available from turn one, but should work to develop some two star generals to a CR of more than 10 (by participation in victories) so they can be an AC when called upon. The USA should immediately appoint a fourth AC, hold your breath: Butler. Why? Because Butler has a political point rating of 4 and will probably get the Union more victory points in 1861 than any other general just by breathing. Butler can preside over the occupation of Kentucky because his cavalry will advance into the void and Butler can bring up the rear with the infantry. Halleck should replace Fremont as western TC asap, the loss of one political point being offset by Halleck's greater ability to get things going in the West. As soon as Grant's CR increases through participation in a victory should replace McDowell.

A variation on this theme is for he Union to develop an admin or engineer to be an AC. He won't be good in combat but he may be helpful in getting you units to launch attacks that do not require the AC to be present to add his attack value. Examples are launching multiple attacks from a single stack (Tennesse, Trans Mississippi) or in launching sea invasions.

Using supply to enhance initiative. The "time" rule in the addendum subtracts two from initiative die rolls in 1861 and one in 1862-63. This penalty is offset by not moving, hardly a good remedy if you want your leaders to advance. However, you can build extra depots in the AC's area. The Union should build 2 (and possibly 3 depots depending on how you read the addendum) for each are he wants to help commanders with initiative. However raiding cavalry apparently reduce the number of supplies and thus reduce their assistance to initiative, see turn sequence rule page 88 suggesting initiative is determined before depot restocking. Assuming my analysis is correct, major supply depots must be protected as best you can from enemy raids. Because one needs 40 to 60 reserved supply to gain maximum assistance to initiative, one may wish to stock pile that mount plus the amount you think you'll lost to raids. An effective CSA tactic is to utilize its better cavalry leaders early with plenty of militia converted to mounted and trained as cavalry on raids as soon as possible. Personally I raise the max of two mounted for the whole first year (later in the game they serve as effective rear guards). An effective Union tactic is to build the depots behind the front line, requiring the southron cavalry leader to have initiative to reach the depots. The offset is that the attacking units stacked with the depot will lose one of the combat bonus that unused movement points provide.

Feel free to constructively criticize.
Let me know if more of these would be helpful.
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Hattori Hanzo

RE: topics on how to play: initiative

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

the old messages have not been deleted, they are still all there.. !!!

you have to select "All Topics" and "Show All Messages" to see them [;)]
Hattori Hanzo

RE: topics on how to play: initiative

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ps: go to the War Room section and select "All Topics" instead of "365 Days" in the "Display topics from last" menu on the right portion of the screen.

do the above and all the old messages will re-appear after your two recent ones.

Return to “The War Room”