To the guns

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Rasputitsa

To the guns

Post by Rasputitsa »

There has been discussion as to whether ‘To the guns’ actually works, so here is a battle from the latest AAR, which seems to show that it does.

See image below.

The pre-battle screen (left panel), playing as the French, shows Dorsenne and Lauriston as +2, which I guess means that they will arrive in battle round 2, as the ’Battle Completed’ (right panel) shows these units arriving in round 2, incidentally, so does Fresnel for the Austrians. This should be the effect of ‘To the guns’.

I have all the French corps set ‘To the guns’, but it can have unexpected effects, as units tend to follow the enemy, rather than stick to the ordered objective. This has happened several times and may be the reason that DAVOUT’s artillery was lost, isolated on the road, as other units chased the Austrians, on another route rather than take the road to the ordered objective.

I am thinking of ‘To the guns’ as a use your own initiative button, which can have unforeseen circumstances, so use with caution and don’t be surprised if some units head off on their own.

I had not seen this in previous AARs playing as Austrians, because under house rules I am not using ‘To the guns’ for them.

This is from the AAR which I have not written up yet.

This is a massive win for the French, NAPOLEON is in command with bonus, he has the Guard and the Austrian units may be damaged from several unsuccessful battles in the previous turns, but it doesn't work out so well for the Emperor in the following turns, which shows the variation in the game, as circumstances change.

Attachments
BattlePASSAUend.jpg
BattlePASSAUend.jpg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 380 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
FrankHunter

RE: To the guns

Post by FrankHunter »

To the Guns works but its dependent on the weather. If its clear it should work fine, assuming its fine to ignore one's objective and head to a battle, if its raining its limited to the adjacent hex.

Its the Engage stance that causes units to go chasing after a nearby enemy instead of continuing on to its objective.
Rasputitsa

RE: To the guns

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

To the Guns works but its dependent on the weather. If its clear it should work fine, assuming its fine to ignore one's objective and head to a battle, if its raining its limited to the adjacent hex.

Its the Engage stance that causes units to go chasing after a nearby enemy instead of continuing on to its objective.

Thanks for the clarification, the game is always throwing up challenges as which stance should be issued and what might happen.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”