Hard Knocks: Chicharito19's trying to learn, a Global Campaign experience

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Chicharito19

RE: Hard Knocks: Chicharito19's trying to learn, a Global Campaign experience

Post by Chicharito19 »

S/O Axis Impulse #7

No further declarations of war from the axis powers.

The neutrality pact between Germany and the USSR remains intact.

Actions
Germany – land
Italy – combined
Japan – land
Port Attacks
Germany declines

Naval Air
Germany declines
Italy declines
Japan declines

Naval Movement
Italy – none

Strategic and Carpet Bombing
No axis strategic or carpet bombing

Ground Strike
No ground strikes.

Rail Movement
No rail movement
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Land Movement
Italy – no land movement
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Germany brings troops and armor from the southern border to descend upon Warsaw. This includes the XLVIII Armor Corps and the XLIX Mountain Corps.

The LXXI Infantry Corps provides support for the Lodz Warsaw rail lines along with the XI Mot Corps.
Attachments
Armor at Warsaw.jpg
Armor at Warsaw.jpg (133.09 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Japan – Armies of the 12th and 20th Infantry move south of the Yellow River preparing to attack Nationalist militia forces.

Attachments
Jap20thi..tryarmy.jpg
Jap20thi..tryarmy.jpg (164.94 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

The 25th Infantry and the Seoul Militia move along the Yellow in an attempt to attack the Nationalist 4-3 infantry unit NW of Chengchow.

Attachments
SurroundChengchow.jpg
SurroundChengchow.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Land Attack declarations

Germany attacks Warsaw along with ground support.

Attachments
Warsawattack.jpg
Warsawattack.jpg (284.2 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Battle at Warsaw results. I had 2 more combat factors added due to the ground support.

Attachments
Warsawresults.jpg
Warsawresults.jpg (385.39 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Battle at Warsaw cont...

Attachments
Warsawresults2.jpg
Warsawresults2.jpg (395.21 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

That means German troops move into Warsaw. Forgive me as I did not get a pic of that. But you know the drill much better than I do.
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Meanwhile in China...
Japan 12 and 20th declare land combat on the Nationalist Militia along with ground support. Here are the results...

Attachments
Japan atta.. Militia.jpg
Japan atta.. Militia.jpg (386.8 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Japanese forces defeat the Nationalist Militia and move in and will begin their march to surround Chengchow.

Attachments
Japaneseadvance.jpg
Japaneseadvance.jpg (156.32 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Air Rebase
Japan rebases Vals from Canton to Formosa at Tainan.
Rebase Nell from Fukuoka to Huai

Germany does not rebase any aircraft.

Italy doesn't rebase any aircraft.

HQ Reorganization
Germany does not reorganize units....or can't because the HQ's are already disorganized.

End of turn roll was an 8, greater than the required 2, so the turn continues.

Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Thanks. I won't mind then giving you my 2-cents, and that's exactly what it's worth. [:D]

(1) US scrapping 3-mover (i.e., bottom number) transports. I personally find that in 1944 and 1945 the US is looking for all the sea-lift capability they can muster to move units from the US to Europe and also to their westward moving bases in the Pacific. A 3-mover transport can move 3 sea areas (e.g., East Coast, North Atlantic to Bay of Biscay/or Faeores Gap/or Cape St. Vincent). I find these are very useful for getting units from the US to Europe. So, for the US I keep (i.e., don't scrap) 3-mover transports and use them in the Atlantic. Also, I find that they come in handy for naval reorg when not needed for transport. The 2-movers I scrap.

(2) For the CW, I'll at start scrap their 3-movers because, unlike the US, the CW is more constrained build point (BP) wise and I like to get their better (i.e., faster) transports to start off with.

(3) Personally, I feel you were a bit too aggressive in scrapping USSR land units (especially their 3-3 armies, 4-5 mot and 5-6 mech). A mech counts as 2 for Nazi-Soviet pact purposes. 3-3 inf armies will be sorely missed in 1941 and 1942. They make very good speed bumps. Now once you lose them scrapping them (may) make sense and often times I will. But you need every infantry army for the Soviets you can muster in 1941 and 1942.

(4) CW Swordfish NAV2's. I like to place these in Belfast, for example, so they can react to the 0-box in either the Faeores Gap or Bay of Biscay when German, or Italian subs, attack. Having air in the 0-box means that if surprised, the Germans (or Italians) have to spend 4 surprise points to force a sub combat. Also, these units add their air-to-sea to the ASW total (either 3 or 4 additional) which increases the risk to German/Italian subs. Of course, no air can fly or react if the weather is storm or blizzard.

(5) I personally don't scrap German land units at start. Like the Soviets, they are scrambling for all the land units they can muster in 1941 and 1942. The mot can also be broken down into 2 Mot division that can take the loss during Blitz attacks. The mech corps can be broken down into a mech and mot division and can also be use that way. Not to mention helping with getting a Blitz versus Assault land combat often times.

(6) Be wary about setting and moving Chinese units to coastal hexes. The Japanese can start ships at sea and have a significant bombardment potential even at start. Chinese units on the coast are "asking" to get shelled and eliminated. I had to learn this lesson myself the hard way.

The biggest lesson I learned was that to learn I had to just play the game and enjoy it, mistakes and all. Believe me, if you ask, folks around here are not shy about throwing their 2-cents in also. I personally continue to learn by posting and asking for constructive criticism. It's been invaluable to me.

And don't worry about making major mistakes. In the first global war scenario I played, which I posted as an AAR, I didn't even know about railing Soviet factories to the east (e.g., Urals and eastward). The result was that German captured a significant number of Soviet factories, Soviet production was pitiful and the Soviet army never recovered.

Back after a very long time....some due to personal concerns. I've started playing this again...a different global campaign. Yep tons of mistakes and a few restarts. But now, the game might seem like its starting to make some sense to me. I even "like" doing the global setup(though I still don't know what I am doing). But its as if the game is coming "alive" for me. So I've come back to read these comments and now they make a bit more sense to me.

It also helps that I've found a couple of very good Youtube Play throughs from Steven Dolges and The Tabletop's Eddge that have been helpful.

Michael

Return to “After Action Report”