Eastern Front 1941-1945 v6 Soviets vs Axis PO

After Action Reports
gwgardner

Eastern Front 1941-1945 v6 Soviets vs Axis PO

Post by gwgardner »

An occasional AAR, status reports every few turns.

Fabio Governato's Eastern Front 1941-1945 v6 has POs and great documentation. It's Corps/Army level primarily, although some unit types like some Soviet mech units, AT units, and airborne units for instance are lower level. Fabio implemented such features as: reserve units which arrive at varying times to be disbanded for reinforcements, Soviet factory removal timelines, force composition changes over time, and more.

The document suggests that occasionally the player should take over from the PO to move air units forward and adjust objectives. I just did that on turn 6 and so far I only did the air unit rebasing.

I started off with Fog of War, but I'm an old boardgame player, and it's just more enjoyable for me to see the whole board, so I turned FOW off about turn 4. To compensate for that a bit, I use a House Rule that requires me to attempt to maintain a continuous front line, units or zones of control - to fight the temptation to isolate or pick off stray PO units, or to take unrealistic, unplanned advantage of holes in the PO line.

Early game the Soviet player has to stall the German advance long enough to allow for the relocation of factories to the Urals, and to allow for mobilization to get going. The following cities need to be held on to, at least up to the given turn, to forestall loss of reinforcements later on:
Moscow (T24), Smolensk (T4),
Kiev (T6), Dnepropetrovsk (T6), Bryansk (T7), Karkhov (T8), Sevastopol (T8) and Rostov
(T10)

By turn 6 now, I have succeeded in evacuating production facilities and material from Smolensk, Kiev, and Dnepropetrovsk, but it's been a very close call.

Holding on to Bryansk, Kharkov, and Sevastopol long enough seems doable at this point, although the Germans have broken into the Crimea and took Odessa long ago.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (175.89 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (215.41 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

gwgardner

Re: Eastern Front 1941-1945 v6 Soviets vs Axis PO

Post by gwgardner »

Overall by the week of Jul 27, the German advance is ahead of schedule. Kiev is already invested, German units are 60 kilometers from Leningrad and the defense there looks very shaky.

I have followed a general strategy of keeping newly mobilized units away from the front, to allow time for then to be fully constituted. They arrive in a depleted state. It's possible I followed that strategy too closely. Perhaps I should have pushed those depleted units to the front immediately.
Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (283.43 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Example of ongoing mobilization: 3rd Corps, 11th Army - I need it at Leningrad NOW, but it is severely understrength. Needs time to obtain something close to its full complement.
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (175.2 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Cpl GAC

Post by Cpl GAC »

Thanks for sharing this - it's an excellent scenario. Please keep the reports coming.

My $.02 - I think your missing a benefit of computer versus board game leaving Fog Of War off. I'm on turn 8 playing TGW 41-45 right now and where I expected to see the 11 Army found the bulk of 1 Pz Group too...I'm pretty sure... and a huge 150km hole in my line. Surprise!

Fog of War seems prized enough that one guy went so far as to create a protective holder for the "concealed" stacks in Squad Leader to mimic what the PC easily enables; https://ritterkrieg.com/product/stack-guard/.

When I played Eastern Front last time, I moved the Bryansk Front north right away - ignoring geographical titles. A little bit too prescient? Probably. But all things considered, I don't think the Soviets would give up their 2nd most important city as easily as it seems to fall. So, accepting the NW Front was the least adequate based on the speed of the advance in two-three turns by AGN I get Armies up there fast and plan a stronger defense early versus the standard throwing of kitchen sinks up there in August. (Also, ironically, in my current TGW play, Pz Group 4 is with Pz Group 3 going right up the middle at Moscow...curse you, Sills and your 5 tracks).
If you're STILL making Panzer IIs after seeing your first T-34... you're probably going to lose.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

In your past play with Eastern Front how often did you need to intervene with the AXIS PO to adjust things?

Cpl GAC

Post by Cpl GAC »

Once or twice - for the rail repair. It, unfortunately, seemed to be working just fine. You've seen page 14 of Governato's notes - it suggests you do it every few turns. I play with Air Assistant on, so I'm not paying much attention to the air details.

I'm not sure helping Elmer geographically reunite formations helps him or slows him down. Particularly because Gerry is fairly liberal in Combat Support (Free or Force). If a more experienced player wants to weigh in - please comment.
governato

Post by governato »

Glad you are enjoying the scenario! The PO is doing OK right? :)
But I am sure its losses are way too high...you just need to be patient, mud season is coming soon ;).

- Let it advance towards Moscow, you got space to trade for time and the local defenses are not bad. Same for Leningrad.

- split your armies into Corps and try to have two at the frontlines and one in reserve one hex behind...or one of the Mech Corps
that hopefully you were able to save from July's carnage. The Mech Corps are the only fast units you will have until 1942 and are great as reserves...
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Aug 31, turn 11

The German rapid approach along the Leningrad Front makes it unlikely the city can hold out. Recent heavy fighting in Pavlosk opened a route for the beginning of an encirclement, but the offensive lost steam. Soviet units are poised to pushback there.

Moscow is threatened from the northwest but the major push by the enemy on the Central Front has been towards Bryansk.

Farther south Kiev fell in early August. Southern Front will try to hold the southern Dneiper line, but the Germans are already moving to flank that line from the north.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (163.4 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (259.8 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (301.95 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (310.66 KiB) Viewed 937 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I have only intervened to reorganize the AXIS AI once, and then it was only to rebase air units. I'll probably do so again next turn, but obviously the AI is doing quite well so far.

So far the Soviet have successfully withdrawn manufacturing equipment on schedule, from Kiev, Smolensk, Bryansk.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I'm now playtesting a couple of different games, so this AAR is just going to take a long while. Probably shouldn't have started it yet. I do intend to get back to it at some point.

governato

Post by governato »

From this AAR and my tests it seems the the AI mostly needs help with moving air units forward..not sure why the AI does not do it on its own :(

One of the best things the Soviet player can do in Summer 41 is try to save it's tank Corps, they are useful later to break pockets and help infantry units to disengage, which is very hard for them to do alone (by design ;)).

Disband the tank corps gradually in summer 42 as Tank Armies with better logistics come on line.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I'm going to resume playing this scenario using v6, notwithstanding that Governato has released version 8.1. From reading his notes on that new version, I couldn't see anything major requiring a restart with that version. Hopefully he will comment here, if I'm wrong.

Every time I get back to TOAW after a break, I have to relearn it (old age). For instance, right now I can't remember how to intervene with the AI, to move forward the AXIS air units. I'll figure it out.

governato

Post by governato »

gwgardner wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:40 am I'm going to resume playing this scenario using v6, notwithstanding that Governato has released version 8.1. From reading his notes on that new version, I couldn't see anything major requiring a restart with that version. Hopefully he will comment here, if I'm wrong.

Every time I get back to TOAW after a break, I have to relearn it (old age). For instance, right now I can't remember how to intervene with the AI, to move forward the AXIS air units. I'll figure it out.
I think V6 vs the PO is fine, especially if you are midway through Summer ...also consider activating the TO that gives additional support squads to the Axis...(basically it helps the PO a bit)

v8.1 has significant improvements but they become evident after the Winter. Keep me/us posted about your game!
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Turn 15 Sept 24, 1941

Heavy fighting immediately south of Leningrad, west of Moscow, for the last month, but the Soviets have been able to counterattack against any German advances there.

The AXIS continues to push forward against developing defenses in the south, but appear to be insufficiently powerful enough to advance into Rostov on the Don. Crimea taken, but no attempt to cross the Kerch Strait.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (165.45 KiB) Viewed 474 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Soviets are holding by a mere thread from Rostov to the south. As soon as the Germans get their forces into place, there's little to stop them as yet.

Caucasus-based 51st Army has been transported towards Rostov, after completing its mobilization, but has not yet detrained to move into positions.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (174.1 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Last edited by gwgardner on Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

North of Rostov, the Soviets have pulled back slowly, and are bringing up newly mobilized reinforcements. For the AXIS, it's much the same story as farther south - advances to the limits of their supplies and transport, not yet positioned to continue general advances.
Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (177.17 KiB) Viewed 468 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The AI tends to advance unsupported after breaking through the Soviet lines. opening counter attack opportunities for the Soviets.

Three newly mobilized armies are being moved forward to the Moscow front, giving hope that a stable defense can be obtained. And then perhaps a winter counter-offensive.
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (215.7 KiB) Viewed 464 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

On the Leningrad front, the Germans have been unable to sustain an offensive, although they have repeatedly taken and lost Pavlovsk.

However the Germans are close to cutting off Leningrad from the southeast.
Attachments
Clipboard05.jpg
Clipboard05.jpg (215.75 KiB) Viewed 463 times

governato

Post by governato »

This is really fun to watch. Tx for posting the updates! (I am kinda proud of the Axis PO, I only wish it 'd move its air units forward, but you could do it for it :) )

Could you share the amount of

- Rifle+Sapper squads
- Trucks
- T34+KV1 ( minus those in the attrition box at the bottom left)

Tx!
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

How is the Finnish front?

Return to “After Action Reports”